🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Request to Change my Name
Page options
itsmaureen
Community Member

Request to Change my Name

I have been trying to change my name on my Upwork account for about two weeks with no success. I have already updated my profile information accordingly within the settings section of my Upwork account. However, it has not been effective. My efforts to chat with chatbot has been of no success as well. Kindly advise.

56 REPLIES 56
NikolaS

Hi Maureen,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I followed up with the team handling your case and your name change is now approved. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
ffd1243e
Community Member

Would be any problem? And everytime I type and update the last name box with my last 2-word name, it is not changed. no notifs and confirmation whatsoever. help

Hi Ryandi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I followed up with the team handling your case and your name change is now approved. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
f4975ff4
Community Member

Hi I want to change my Upwork profile name because there is accidentally auto added wrong name so I want to correct it when I did it and update its not working any suggestions about it.

Hi Danny, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to help. I reached out to the team handling your case and your name change request is now approved. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
f4975ff4
Community Member

I own longtail name that means I have 1 middle and last name so do you also suggest me how can I update it for correct name?

cb267e8b
Community Member

I have changed my name acoording to my official record but its not being changed even after log in/log out for multiple times. Please help. I'm Signing in through Google ID. 

Hi there, 

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
d8213a48
Community Member

Hi, I have the same problem changing my profile name to enter billing information.

Hi Yosif,

We've escalated your concern to the relevant team and can confirm that your name change request has been completed. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
7b8ab13d
Community Member

Hello Folks,

I have got a freleancer account and while creating, I did a mistake of keeping a generic name.

Henceforth, now I wanna change it and even after multiple attemps, it seems not approved and UpWork is not providing any reasons for the same.

Can someone help here pl

Thanks. 

Hi there,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We've notified the team of your name change request and can confirm that it has been successfully processed. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
282be3c2
Community Member

Hello,

I want to change my verified name cos of marriage and attach an ID for confirmation, pls help me out 

Hi Hope,

I checked your account and it looks like your name change request has been approved. You may log into your account to check. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
93be9de6
Community Member

Hello. When I want to make an update by typing my entire surname instead of the first letter in the contact settings so that my ID and profile information match, there is a warning stating that it may take up to 48 hours for this to be processed. At the same time, it seems that I have less than 2 days left to prevent my account from being canceled due to the ID that is requested to be confirmed. Therefore, I am worried that my account will be canceled if the name update is not made before ID verification. I would be grateful if you could help me with this as soon as possible. Thank you.​

Hi Hilal,

Thanks for reaching out. I've escalated your concern to the relevant team and can confirm that your profile name has been updated. 

I'd also like to point out that your current profile photo doesn't meet Upwork requirements. You must update your photo before completing your verification. 

Your profile photo must meet the following requirements:

• It must look like you.

• It must be a headshot-style photo.

• Sunglasses, other individuals, logos, or pictures of anything other than your face are not allowed.

Please check this article for more information on updating your profile photo.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
93be9de6
Community Member

Hey LuiggiR. Thanks for your help. 

Is there anything you can suggest about that?

I need to change my profile photo to a new clear photo. I'm in the last few hours for my account to be approved (last day is March 14). Unfortunately, I have been struggling for 2 hours for a simple transaction because I am having problems with the application, and I do not want to witness such a ridiculous situation as losing my account due to an Upwork update error.​

I'm sorry to hear this, Hilal. Could you please share more information about the error you're getting when you try updating your photo? Please try clearing your browser cache and cookies or using a different browser.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
93be9de6
Community Member

Hello Luiggi. I don't get any errors. I'm trying it both through the app and the browser, I cleared the app data. I can see the photo on the screen and adjust the zoom, the save button is active but it does not react when I click it. When the page is refreshed, the result is still the same.

Sorry, I noticed in a different browser. The error is:
"Verify your identiary to continue winning jobs on Upwork"

I was going to change it to verify my identity. Really incredible system.

Thanks for clarifying, Hilal. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
93be9de6
Community Member

Thank you for your interest Luiggi

I can't count the number of times I've tried and asked for help. My account will be canceled in an hour, only because system didn't allow me to change my profile photo to a clear new one. The error I receive says that my identity needs to be verified. I need to change my profile photo for identity verification. There is obviously a restriction. I don't understand why this is so hard to solve, why can't anyone help me?

Hi Hilal,

I'm very sorry for the frustration this has been causing you. Could you please try updating your profile photo again now? I've consulted with the relevant team, and they have confirmed that you should be able to do it now. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
93be9de6
Community Member

Thank you again Luiggi! How you are the only person I can reach on such a huge platform, I spent hours on this. It was solved thanks to you. I am very grateful to you for your effort.

bcalendar
Community Member

Hi. I changed my name a few weeks ago and nothing has been verified. I'm unsure if I need to explain the name change to someone? There is currently no way to open a support ticket; I keep getting sent to the bot, which cannot assist me in this fairly unique situation. Please help!

Hello Christine,

You don't currently have a pending name change request. If you wish to update your name, you can do so by going to Settings > Contact Info. If you're concerned about adding a payment method that may cause a mismatch with your verified name, there's no need to worry; the relevant team will contact you if any additional verification is required. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi! I changed it to the name that is there now, Christine Noel Cantera. And it seems to have been approved already - like I said, this was weeks ago. But I can't get any of my payment methods approved because it tells me the names don't match, and it hasn't asked me for verification. That's where I'm getting stuck!

Thanks for clarifying, Christine. Could you please try adding your payment methods again? Even if the names don't match, you should be able to add them. This will trigger a verification process on our end. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 21.42.32.png

Is this the trigger? Because this is what I always receive and I've never gotten a notification for verification.

Hi Christine Noel,

I've requested the assistance of our verification team. They will review your account, and if they need more information, they will reach out to you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne! There is indeed a ticket open now but I am unable to access it as it is asking me for my zendesk credentials. I put in my Upwork name and password and that doesn't work. Halp!

I switched to Chrome and it works.

And now I got an email, below. As I've said multiple times I have a unique problem I'd rather not post on a public forum. I just want to speak one-on-one with a human being who works at Upwork. I don't know why this is so difficult. I have questions I need answered. It's not nuclear fission! I just want to talk to a person about this so I can explain and see if I need to set up a new account or not!

The name "REDACTED" on your payment account "REDACTED" has been manually reviewed by our staff and did not meet the criteria for compliance.
If you have not already completed ID verification, you can request approval for your beneficiary name through the ID verification process.

mokhtar_alshreef
Community Member

I can't change my profile name to be the same as my legal ID, which cause some confusion with the clients. Please help me to change it, because when I try to do it from my Profile, it's said to wait 48 hours for the process to be reflected and then nothing happened. Also I tried with the Chatbot many times to escalate my situation and get me with a real Agent but didn't worked. Please help.

Hi Mokhtar,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I followed up with the team handling your case and can confirm that your name change has been approved. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1dd39038
Community Member

I've requested a name change around 2 weeks ago, but the request doesn't appear under submitted requests in my account, how can I assure it is being processed and why does it take so long?

Hi Nikita,

Could you please try again to request a name change by going to Settings > Contact Info after clearing your cache and cooking or using a different browser? If the issue persists, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
saifhassan27
Community Member

Hi,
My name is "Saif Hassan" this is my real name, my profile name on Upwork my legal name on my ID, and my PayPal account name (we need this info later).
Somehow after I verified my identity on Upwork they wrote "Hassan Abdel Nabi Abdel Nabi".
This is not what the pic of my ID that I provided and verified my identity with it clearly shows that my name is "Saif Hassan"
and here's my full legal name additionally: "Saif Hassan Abdelnaby Ahmed Abdelnaby"
Now my profile name is Saif Hassan (correct), and my verified name on Upwork is Hassan Abdel Nabi Abdel Nabi (wrong)
My PayPal account is Saif Hassan, So I can't link it to Upwork and get paid due to a mismatch.
I reached out for support and they told me that their team would check and fix it in 24 hours max: 48 hours but nothing changed after this time period, I really need help!
Thanks

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members