🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tax Information
Page options
925bcec7
Community Member

Tax Information

Hello, I require some assistance in completing my tax information.

I'm situated in Pakistan and am a non - tax filer so I do not have any information regarding it. How will I be able to withdraw my Upwork earnings?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2bfd3e02
Community Member

Syeda,  use your identity card (also referred as shanakhti card).

The info should be inserted as given below:

The legal name of the taxpayer: Should be the same as written on your identity card
Federal tax classification: Individual

After this process, you will also have to provide a TIN/CNIC, which is also written on the identity card. Your sign will also be required, please note that this should be YOUR sign. so just write your full name there.

Additionally, make sure that the address you provide is the exact same as given on the identity card. That's it, enjoy your payout.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
5a144046
Community Member

I understand you need help completing your tax information on Upwork as a non-tax filer in Pakistan. Here's how you can proceed:

1. Complete the W-8BEN form:

Upwork requires a tax form called W-8BEN to determine your tax residency and withholding requirements. Since you're not a tax filer, you'll need to fill out the W-8BEN form on Upwork and select the option "I am not a taxpayer in my country." You can access the W-8BEN form by going to your Upwork profile settings, then Tax Information, and finally "Add Tax Form." 

2. Withdrawing Earnings:

Completing the W-8BEN form with the "non-taxpayer" option should allow you to withdraw your earnings from Upwork without any tax withholding by Upwork itself. 

Important Note:

While Upwork won't withhold taxes, you might still be liable for taxes in Pakistan on your Upwork earnings. It's recommended to consult with a local tax advisor in Pakistan to understand your tax obligations and any reporting requirements that might apply. 

Additional Information:

There are some discussions online about IT services being exempt from tax in Pakistan until 2025, but with a requirement to register with the Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB). It's best to confirm this information with a tax advisor as regulations can change. 

By following these steps and potentially consulting a tax advisor, you should be able to complete your tax information on Upwork and withdraw your earnings. Remember, Upwork can't provide tax advice, so seeking professional guidance is recommended.

Thanks alot for replying. I'm afraid I can't see the option "Add Tax Form"  under Tax Information and, therefore, I can't see the option  "I am not a taxpayer in my country" as you have mentioned. I'm not sure how to proceed after selecting "I'm a non-US person" under Taxpayer Identification.

LuiggiR

Hi Syeda,

Filling out your tax information is required to withdraw your earnings. For general details on filling out Form W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E, I recommend visiting this page. If you have questions about the specifics of what information you should be entering, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2bfd3e02
Community Member

Syeda,  use your identity card (also referred as shanakhti card).

The info should be inserted as given below:

The legal name of the taxpayer: Should be the same as written on your identity card
Federal tax classification: Individual

After this process, you will also have to provide a TIN/CNIC, which is also written on the identity card. Your sign will also be required, please note that this should be YOUR sign. so just write your full name there.

Additionally, make sure that the address you provide is the exact same as given on the identity card. That's it, enjoy your payout.

Thankyou so much!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members