🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The Evolving Landscape of Freelance Design on...
Page options
Community Member

The Evolving Landscape of Freelance Design on Upwork

Hey Everyone,

I've been freelancing on Upwork for a while now, mainly doing logo and graphics design. Recently, I've noticed something that's been bugging me: a lot of the design jobs I see are paying way less than they should, and it feels like there are just too many designers out there competing for the same gigs. I'm sure you've all seen them - those logo design jobs offering peanuts for what should be a fair bit of work. It's frustrating, right? And it seems like the more of these cheap gigs there are, the harder it gets to stand out and make a decent living as a designer on Upwork.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Maybe the key is to find our niche and really own it. Whether it's a specific style or a particular type of client, honing in on what makes us unique could be the way to go. What do you guys think?

I'm curious if any of you have explored other areas of design that might be less crowded on Upwork. Do you think there are opportunities to find work in niches that aren't as saturated as logo and graphics design?

8 REPLIES 8
bbdebb52
Community Member

Hi Ezeh,

My area of expertise is research and data analysis, but I believe the same concept applies here. I sometimes see clients offering embarrassingly low wages for tasks that require long work hours, let alone certain skills. Yet, you will still get freelancers who will bid on such jobs.

That said, I also think the clients offering the lowest rates aren't the most reliable. For example, I noticed that a few of them hired cheaper freelancers and then complained about the work quality or that their expectations weren't met. So, as much as this issue can be annoying, it's better to go for clients who actually appreciate what you can bring to the table and are willing to pay something decent and reasonable. 

Focus on what's in your control and build on it. When you contact a client, highlight your achievements and let them know that they're getting something of high quality and high standards. Serious and good-paying clients are the niche that will be happy to hire you because they value your skills, as opposed to most scammers or clients who are seeking cheap labour.   

Hello Bashar,

Your insights on navigating the freelance marketplace are spot-on. It's frustrating to see undervalued offers, but you're absolutely right that focusing on clients who appreciate quality and are willing to pay accordingly is key. Building a reputation for delivering high-quality work and emphasizing your expertise and achievements is crucial in attracting these clients.

It's a matter of finding the right niche where your skills are truly valued, rather than getting caught up in a race to the bottom with low-paying gigs. By emphasizing the value you bring to the table, you're more likely to attract clients who recognize and respect your worth.

Thanks for sharing your perspective—it's a valuable reminder to stay focused on quality and professionalism in the freelance world.

Exactly, Ezeh. Your post confirms that this is a widespread issue that goes beyond a specific area of expertise, although admittedly, some areas might be more impacted by it than others. 

For example, in the attached post, a client asks to code 1000 interviews for $200. For me, this is beyond insane. I would usually charge between $1.5k and $2k for coding 20 interviews. So, imagine offering $200 for coding 1000 interviews? What's crazier is that this job got between 15 and 20 proposals.

That's why I concluded that such clients aren't a good fit for a person with a growth mindset in the first place. I'm sure that they will also be demanding since freelancers who accept such offers might come across as desperate, which is the last thing any respectful freelancer wants. 

That said, as we discussed earlier, our focus should be on high-quality clients who might be harder to find but worth the investment. Believe me, I've been there, and I know, at times, it can be quite challenging and frustrating, but it's much better than getting a cheaper client who will then force you to do extra work or give you a bad rating. Many people complain about bad clients, and I understand that sometimes encountering one is inevitable. But at the same time, it's also a choice. When freelancers constantly interact with scammers and cheap clients, they should question their choices instead of blaming their circumstances.

It's been a pleasure talking with you, and I wish you ongoing success with clients who recognize and appreciate your value and talent. Keep up the excellent work! 🤞

Your insights are invaluable, and I couldn't agree more. The example you provided highlights a pervasive issue in the freelance world, where some clients seek to exploit freelancers with unfairly low rates. It's disheartening to see such offers, especially when they attract numerous proposals from desperate freelancers.

It's been a pleasure discussing these challenges with you, and I appreciate your wisdom and perspective. Here's to continued success in attracting clients who appreciate our value and talent. 🤝

khushbu_gohil
Community Member

I also working on logo design and actual price sounds good on other marketplaces and win project as well and they never ask too many revisions they always make everything clear in step by step format nothing like test and all I win those logo design projects are above $$$. So quality clients are there in market so Upwork have to target them.

and recently I got direct message and he said me to test design and after that he will hire and I agree because I also don't want to make scenarios for refund that affect my jss so I tried samples around 2-3 and his feedback like my design is simple and how that put value what is wants so I send other all unpaid and he again in thinking of change I stop their because they didn't hire and giving changes in sample...it's not work like that I understand I don't have to share work but I share because it's sample so he can trust and hire me but he act like you are not giving quality 🙄 free sample and saying anything, I never face this before February

After increseing connects..mostly clients come and interview and then test and hire multiple and then nothing, sometimes I just think they place high value to attract quality freelancer only or what! 

Quality clients also there and they value freelancer as well but low paying post are hiding them 

Hi Khushbu,

It seems you've encountered some frustrating scenarios recently. It's disappointing when clients request free work or numerous revisions without committing to hiring. As a professional, it's crucial to be respected for your time and expertise.

I've had a similar experience where I accepted a logo design contract, received a partial payment on escrow ($75), and dedicated a day to crafting five unique concepts. The client initially expressed satisfaction with the designs but suddenly ended the contract and requested a refund after receiving the JPGs.

However, it's important to stay focused on delivering high-quality work and nurturing relationships with clients who value your talent. Your dedication and professionalism will eventually attract the right clients.

Maintain a positive outlook and continue advocating for yourself in the freelance marketplace.

Best regards,

Ezeh

Yeah 😌 That true...I always think, situation is like that not person! So I don't have issue with client asking for sample even free I can understand their doubt but revision in free sample or sample me more the pe of way is not good atleast Upwork can make guide for them if clients are doing unknown then they can get idea about standardisation to maintain platform quality.

freelancer and clients are equal part of Upwork so smooth flow everything make clear. Yeah I always look on positive side and keep working and improving my skill 😊 my some clients are amazing here and I am grateful for that!

6eb496a4
Community Member

Hi, i am sorry to hear what happened  about the client requesting a refund sometimes it is better to receive all payment at once to avoid impartiality by the client but maybe i think it is a misunderstanding but try to find out why your client requested a refund to see if you can fix the problems .

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members