🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My pan status is showing pending verification
Page options
gopip18
Community Member

Unable to verify your Tax ID number on Upwork

Please check my Legal Taxpayer Name. Now I verified the legal name and PAN number. Please check and approve.

gopip18_1-1646185972652.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abdul, 

The TAX ID (PAN) status is under "Pending Verification" until we have a manual verification for PAN. Once you enter a PAN number, you will automatically get a reduced withholding tax of 1% regardless of the PAN "Pending Verification" status. There is no further action needed on your end. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

322 REPLIES 322
95c6ebde
Community Member

Hii My pan is not verified yet and due to this issue i have to pay 5% tds. So please verify my pan as quickly as possible.

Hi Prateek,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your request and reach out to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
krupa-ramani
Community Member

My PAN card verification is always rejected. bcz of some personal reason, my all proof is of different surnames and my education documents have different surnames so I don't think it is the main issue. so could you please help me? I'm not able to get badge.

Hi Krupa,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have checked your account and it looks like your PAN is currently on a pending verification status. Please note that we cannot directly verify your tax information. Once you add the information to your Upwork account, we submit it to the Indian Tax authorities for verification. If you added your PAN number, it was accepted, and you didn't get an error message, you're all set. There is no further action needed on your end. 

~ AJ
Upwork
942fd18c
Community Member

How was this problem ultimately fixed ?

I'm facing the same one.

Hi Tony,

Please ensure that the "Legal taxpayer name" on your Tax Information (ID) and your Form W-8BEN should exactly match the name registered on your PAN ID (can be found on the TRACES records). Let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
52f63ae4
Community Member

Why is it taking so long for PAN verification ? Can someone please help me and tell me the reason ? How many days does it takes usually ?

1e47af94
Community Member

Hi, I have submitted my PAN Card for tax deduction and it's been verified but I have been charged with 5% instead of 1%. 
I would appreciate your support, Thank you.

Tax Deduction 

Hi Shantanu,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

~ AJ
Upwork
4608bca4
Community Member

I added PAN details a few days back. It is still showing pending verification. Due to that, I have been charged 5% TDS instead of 1%. Please help ASAP.

Hi Anami,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello Annie,

Thanks a lot for the support. PAN is verified. But now how can I get the refund of the WHT which was deducted @5% from my earlier bill (Ref. ID - 516776533)? Please help me with this as well.

Hi Anami,

Thank you for your message. I see that one of our team members has already responded to you via a support ticket and confirmed that we are unable to reverse the prior charges on your account. Please don't hesitate to follow up with the team on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
d07569c7
Community Member

Hi Team,

I am from India. I have added my PAN correctly in the tax info section. But I don't know why it got rejected. Please help me to resolve the issue. 

Note: I have added my PAN again as requested in the mail. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Saravanakumar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
d06e9e55
Community Member

I also having same issue pan verification pending? 

Anyone tell me how to resolve it. 

sbaidya1982
Community Member

In my Tax Information segment, the Legal Taxpayer Name is shown as Freelancer. That is definitely not my name. My name is Sankalan Baidya as registered with the Tax ID (PAN) I provided. I need to have that Legal Taxpayer Name changed from Freelancer to Sankalan Baidya.

I don't see any option of doing that. I guess there should be a simple editing option. It appears that Upwork is just picking up my profile as a freelancer and putting it as the Legal Taxpayer Name.

Because of the name issue, my PAN card is not getting verified. I need help.

Hi Sankalan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked but I could not replicate the issue you experience. Could you please share a screenshot from your end so that we can assist you accordingly? 

~ Nikola
Upwork

3c850f9a_0-1667820792238.png

I also face the same problem. Please help me with that to verify my PAN.

Go to Profile » Settings » Tax Information » Scroll Down to the bottom of the page to see the section W-8BEN. Click on the pen icon next to it and change your name there and save. It should work after that.

Tax-Information.jpg

kanish3015
Community Member

Hi. I am a freelancer and I am on Upwork since 2016. I am Indian and I have a valid Tax Identification ID (PAN No.). I have uploaded it multiple times but everytime Upwork backend fails to verify it and Upwork withholds 5% of the earnings. So, I am paying taxes in India and on top of that I am losing 5% of the amount earned. I have lost 5% of the amount earned in the last year. Plz help me to resolve this or escalate this issue.

Hi kanika,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like our team informed you that the tax info on file was rejected due to name mismatch.  To resolve the issue, please ensure that the details you added on file match the name that was indicated on your PAN card.  In the Legal Name of Taxpayer under the W8, please add the name registered in your PAN.

~ AJ
Upwork
0e61c6d1
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

I have provided my PAN details. I also checked my PAN details on the Income Tax department website. The website says that PAN is Active and the details are according to the PAN. 

Even though I have provided the same PAN details in the TAX information section on the Upwork platform, it still says to add my PAN details.  And 5% TDS is already deducted from all my jobs even though I had provided my PAN details before my job started.

Can anyone help me with this? Still, I am getting the same notification to add my PAN details even though I have added the correct PAN details.

Thank you

Hi Shashank,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
c9fe4618
Community Member

Hi,

I've recently created my profile on Upwork and I've started working on my first project. But, Upwork is withholding 5% tax from every payment even though I've filled out the W-8BEN form and provided my PAN details. I did not get any notification or email regarding the PAN verification. Please help me out in reducing the Withholding tax.

Thank you,

Mohit

Hi Mohit,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
8f85b82a
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

As you can see in the images attached, I've successfully added all my task details and there are no errors in that. But still in my contract, it has deducted 5 percent WHT although it is in pending state right now. Can you please help me get back the remaining 4 percent and also make sure it doesn't happen again in future.

Hi Chirag,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
8f85b82a
Community Member

Hello UPWORK, as you can see on my profile, I raised a request for tax id verification so that I dont get charged 5 percent extra and yesterday it was resolved. Your agent said that my account is now fully verified, and today I received a payment for a freshly created milestone after verification and I have been charged 5 percent AGAIN. I don't wanna talk and talk and talk, PLEASE DIRECTLY MAKE THE REFUND. You can do this because payments haven't been processed yet and are still in pending state. PLEASE GIVE MY MONEY BACK!!! FAST

AND PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THE SUPPORT TICKET AUTOMATED THING BECAUSE IK THAT IT'S ALREADY THERE. SIMPLY TELL ME WHY DID YOU CHARGE 5% AFTER TELLING ME THAT MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN FULLY VERIFIED.

Hi Chirag,

~ AJ
Upwork

But can you please put some light on how the heck did this happen? After complete verification? I'm getting no response on tickets and upwork is charging me 25% mindlessly on each project

Hi Chirag,

In general, if the payment was released before you got your PAN verified, the previous tax scheme will still be in effect. The changes should apply to the payments after your PAN got verified. 

I suggest you follow up with the ticket so you can be properly assisted and they can check your account further. Your ticket is with the correct team and they should be able to assist you.

~ AJ
Upwork

They are not responding, its been more than 24 hrs, please check

Hi Chirag,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I reached out to the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
8f85b82a
Community Member

okay thanks, waiting!

23b5e584
Community Member

Plz talk to me some information tell you plz connect me 

569806ed
Community Member

Hi, my PAN has been verified but in my earnings it is still withholding 5% tds instead of 1%. Please help

Hi Dhruv,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ae125c83
Community Member

Hi, I have added my PAN number last week to the Upwork profile. Today I received my payment with a 5% deduction. I have added a ticket for the same but as soon as I add a ticket the status is automatically set to solve. This is very bad!

Help me credit back the rest of the 4% of the TDS deduction. Thanks.

Hi Aayush,

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members