🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Direct contract changes will affect fr...
Page options
7d9d0d70
Community Member

Upwork Direct contract changes will affect freelancers badly

Hello Freelancers,

A large number of freelancers use 'Direct contract' feature to bill and work with the non-Upwork clients but the recent changes suggest that the clients will need to CREATE AN ACCOUNT to fund the direct contract, which will surely stop a serious number of clients to avoid paying with Upwork as it would be time consuming for them.

IMG_1039.png

please remove the account creation condition for clients as it would slow down our activity on the platform and a majority of the freelancers will look for an alternative option.

9 REPLIES 9
williamtcooper
Community Member

All billing and work is in on Upwork. Click the above Academy link for site rules.

The billing and work was on Upwork but the Clients were not supposed to create accounts, they had the option to fund the contracts directly without creating a client account. The new changes will force the clients to create a client account to fund a direct contract. No body want to create an account to make one transaction.

It will greatly slow down the scam Jobs.

yaelys
Community Member

That's absolutely true! It is already hard to convince clients who have never used the platform to even use it. Now, they will also have to create an account and pay 10 USD as an initiation fee (on top of 1.7% more). Upwork should remove these new changes, and just leave the additional 1.7% on both parties if they need to cover higher costs.

Absolutely agree I convinced my client too but they are like they are paying me a bonus why this extra fee he have to pay means I am making hidden charges like that? And he ask why he have to create account? He is not on Upwork and due to all this scenario he said just send me invoice what is all this!! 

and after account creation he will charge $10 and another 5% I guess too not sure...so he will feel like why I didn't said earlier that made him rethinking for trust and it affect on work flow as well

Come on we are bringing new clients to your platform and you are charging like hidden way after account creation what benefits to client point of view? Why he will stay? May be he will scroll to look around platform and see another talent too!...noo that not work like he just want simple his project done not lengthy and extra charge process.

wrote:

Absolutely agree I convinced my client too but they are like they are paying me a bonus why this extra fee he have to pay means I am making hidden charges like that? And he ask why he have to create account? He is not on Upwork and due to all this scenario he said just send me invoice what is all this!! 

I agree with your client - why don't you just send him an invoice? I've never understood why anyone uses this "feature" in the first place. This is why Upwork can keep charging more and more money - because some freelancers don't want to figure out anything themselves.

I use Upwork to record my major earnings at one place...in my country PayPal earnings count under digital goods and that have separate law nothing much...I pay tax for both but to simplify for record and CA I choose direct contract untill it's no cost to clients but now I have to rethink I have 2-3 new clients which is not on Upwork but want to work in long term and I can make feel they like they are paying extra $10 and % 

debeshchoudhury
Community Member

Why should clients create an account unless they are interested in recruiting freelancers regularly? Even if the rule reverts, it doesn't help a client to hire freelancers through a platform. Freelancers might like it because of the escrow feature.

zafarorakzai
Community Member

I have been using upwork direct contract for the last 9 months. But I think i will lost my clients if he has to do such a long process. So I will never use upwork direct contract again. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members