🐈
» Forums » Profile Feedback » Experts, Where Can I Improve My Profile?
Page options
e386ee9e
Community Member

Experts, Where Can I Improve My Profile?

Hello, freelancers 🙂 

I've been on Upwork for a a couple of years and I'd like to improve and upscale my business. So, feedback is much needed..tell me all of your constructive feedback on my profile and if you have ideas that I should apply

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01fe79208df7fee86d 

6 REPLIES 6
celgins
Community Member

Hello Manar,

I like the beginning of your profile overview/summary:

Fun fact: Manar is an Arabic word that means lighthouse.

So, Let Me Shine a Light on Your Story!

However, I'm not sure if clients like it or care. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. Clients often want to see their goals (your services and successes) in this small space. Anything else and you risk them avoiding your profile.

The remainder of your summary is great--the project numbers are awesome and the testimonials are great, and this is exactly what clients like to see.

Everything else in your profile looks great too and I don't see much that can be improved.

Good luck!

e386ee9e
Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to go through it! I really appreciate that. 

Noted 🙂 

allpurposewriter
Community Member

Manar,

I agree with Clark. (I usually do.) If you want to say something extraneous like your name means lighthouse, save that for the end or somewhere below the fold (so to speak). Your opening should be more like, "I am an accomplished writer with 15 plus screenplays, over 30 novels, e-books and memoirs, plus over 150 children's storybooks written. I have also contributed to over 250 Youtube video scripts ..."

That is your most impressive opening and, as a bonus, clients are very, very interested in the point that you know how to bring a project to completion. Telling them the number of completed projects you have done is a very strong selling point. 

I'm a big fan of putting hard information up front, such as those impressive numbers of projects. Those are the kinds of things clients use to make decisions. I love the detail of your name meaning lighthouse, but  it's not information people use to make decisions.

Those numbers are quite impressive. How did you  do that in five years?

Moreover, you've doine 250 Youtube scripts, 150 storybooks, 30 novels and e-books, plus blogs and television work. But you've only done 32 jobs on Upwork over a four-year period. So, the question is clearly, why are you focusing your energy on Upwork, which is not a productive source of work for you? Stick with your other sources. In four years, you've done about 500 jobs, only 32 from Upwork, so why are you hanging around here, anyway? 

One thing caught my eye on a personal level, which is your reference to your background in psychology. I am a writer with 14 years of clinical psychology experience, so that immediately caught my attention. However, your reference just hangs there. There's no details to back that up. You should explain a little about what that means. Do you have a psychology degree? Are you a  clinician? Whatever it is, some more details would make that sound more credible.

Also, is there any real point in describling the types of clients you don't want? If it were me, I would just ignore the projects I don't want. You seem to have a very positive attitude, then you start putting down certain clients. I, too, don't look for jobs that ask for 10,000 words overnight, but I don't think I need to broadcast that. 

Up to you, of course.

Good luck. I hope this helps. 

Thanks, Anthony! I really appreciate your time and feedback. I see your point about keeping those numbers up front. 

To answer your question; I used to freelance on Fiverr. I find Upwork better in many ways, even the clients on Upwork are more serious. I got some clients from LinkedIn too. But once I focused on Upwork, I made in a year what I made on Fiverr in like 4 years! 

My background in psychology currently is that I'm studying RTT and honestly, I watch masterclasses and read about it for fun! 🙂 

I see what you mean by pointing out clients that don't fit. Maybe I need to rephrase that? Something like, "If you've got a really tight deadline" what do you think of that? Or do you think the whole section puts clients down regardless of how it's written?

chigwida-ronald
Community Member

Hallo fellow  upworkers  kindly review  my profile  I'm new to upwork  your feedback  as well as constructive criticism is highly  welcome  I rewrote  my profile after  some experts helped  me on areas  that I needed  to improve  please  kindly  assist https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01bbe1402061642f4f

It looks pretty professional to me and easy on the eyes to read. Your language choice is professional and builds trust. Good luck! I think you're gonna rock it on upwork 🙂 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths