🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Are you striving to get jobs with no luck? Th...
Page options
bbdebb52
Community Member

Are you striving to get jobs with no luck? Then this is for you.

Hello Freelancers!

I hope everyone is having a great day 😊

I am happy to report that despite being on Upwork for a month or so, I have managed to sign several contracts, secured 2.5k and counting, received the rising talent badge, and have a current 100% JSS (fingers crossed it stays this way!).

I wanted to share my journey with my fellow freelancers because I believe that we become a stronger community by supporting each other. My intention with this post is to offer encouragement and insight, especially to those struggling to land their first contract or receive low compensation for their work. Rest assured; this won't be another robotic response telling you to read the guidelines or repeating what everyone knows 😁

Here are my top seven tips:

1. It all starts with a strong mindset

If you think you are incapable or less worthy, you might charge less than you deserve, limiting both your earnings and potential growth. Some Freelancers think that offering a lower hourly rate (e.g., five, six, or ten dollars per hour) encourages clients to hire them. I am against this approach because I believe that this will attract clients who want cheap labour rather than those seeking high quality. And if a client does not respect you, this might open the door to mistreating you. So, avoid doing this and be confident by at least aiming for the average payment for your skillset.

2. Be aware of how you present yourself to clients

You will be amazed that sometimes, even the slightest things can make a huge difference. You want to come across as motivated, eager, and committed. This approach will attract more reliable clients. Do not appear desperate because a client can sense that, which will result in further disappointment. Besides, beginning a relationship like this might lead some clients to take advantage of a situation.

3. Study your client before applying

By studying your clients, you go beyond checking their feedback to checking the feedback they leave for freelancers. Do they leave any feedback? Do they give five stars? Do they appear nasty or friendly in their responses? Remember that this is the same client who will write a review for you afterwards. Also, check how much they have spent, whether their payment is verified, and how many proposals are submitted for a certain job before applying.

4. Stay active and put in the work

I know how frustrating it can be to keep writing proposals and spending connects just to receive zero offers. Even worse, proposals not getting viewed. Seriously?! I know, I know. Tell me about it. That said, do not feel discouraged. See this as a learning opportunity to return to your proposals and modify them to make them more appealing. When writing a proposal, remember it is about the client's needs, not yours. So, focus on how you can help them instead of only talking about yourself. It worked for me so give it a go. I now have days that I send several proposals a day, and sometimes I get responses from all the clients that I contacted 😎

5. Learn from other successful Freelancers

Check their profiles, Check their posts, and learn from their attitude. After all, they must be doing something right. Otherwise, they would not have been successful on the platform. Further, check the clients that hired them. If they have long-term clients, you might have a future opportunity. Finally, It is worth investing time in personal development and growth. Keep learning and keep growing. The more skills you develop, the more value you bring to the market.

6. Focus on the present

Interacting with a client who does not get back to you can put you off and even make you question your abilities. Do not fall for this trap; instead, think of it as an opportunity to find a better fit. You never know, this might have saved you time and money by avoiding dealing with a difficult client or one who does not speak your language. Red flags would be clients that seem quite concerned about budget, repeat the same questions, or propose deals and rates other than the one that was advertised. Stay positive, keep experimenting, but also play it smart.  

7. Remain professional even under pressure

Sometimes, you will feel that you want to tell your client how ignorant or unreliable they are; don't! It's not worth it, and it might backfire. Practice remaining calm under stressful situations will open new doors for you. Trust me; I know how frustrating it can be to work with a client with poor communication skills that take ages to get back to you or pay you. However, the best thing you can do in this situation is remain professional until the job is done.

Finally, I hope you found the post and tips helpful, and I wish you all success. Remember that great things take time, so enjoying the journey is as important as reaching the destination. It's a process, and it will take time. As long as you put in the effort, the results will come. Also, feel free to reach out and book a consultation with me if you are eager and hungry to invest in this.

Keep up the good work! You've got this 🤞

2 REPLIES 2
euphemia77
Community Member

Thanks for the affirmation.

My pleasure. Thanks for your comment, and I hope you have a wonderful and productive day! 

😊

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths