🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Beware of Scam : VersaScript Publishers
Page options
8c821711
Community Member

Beware of Scam : VersaScript Publishers

Today, I received a client under the name "**Edited for Community Guidelines**", they sent a link to contact them via Telegram, this time under the name **Edited for Community Guidelines** requested my personal info, then apologized for the position being unavailable (few minutes after), this is what confirmed my doubts about them being scammers, then they offered a better job position with better money, they sent some video clips, email, website about the so called "business" named **Edited for Community Guidelines**, however, when i dug deeper in the web, i found many others who reported them as scammers who refused to pay them after the job is done.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

10 REPLIES 10
spectralua
Community Member

"they sent a link to contact them via Telegram" - report scammer and do not broke rules. Thats all. Why you did all the rest?

NikolaS

Hi Salma,

I would like to remind you that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, I would recommend you check this help article and available learning paths in the Academy section to help you have a safe and successful start on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Upon applying for a job, the client asked to contact someone else on telegram, being a first-timer on Upwork (Red Flag), and as the client was Payment Verified, I contacted him, however, the job he shared was completely different from which is mentioned (2nd Red Flag). Also asked to deposit money for project (Another Red Flag). When checked carefully, the job location was Japan, however, the names mentioned were of well known US people (One More Red Flag). The document contains no other contact details but just an email id (Red Flag Again). 

Here's the link for the job post:

The pdf is attached for reference.

Fortunately I realised that it's scam, however, there are 72 more who contacted.

It's a request to Upwork team, to do the necessary verifications prior listing the job.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Have you read the TOS? If you had done that you wouldn't have had this problem.
You must change your photo for one of yourself, anything else is not allowed.
Don't have anything to add to your portfolio?

be44a310
Community Member

I experienced the same thing a couple of hours ago. We communicated through Telegram and then they apologized for the position being filled and subsequently made a counterproposal offering £800 for transcription of audios, which seemed too good to be true. After searching them on the web, i discovered that many others had been scammed by these people as well. 

Discover rules first. It is better than search you did.

Thanks  for your input. While understanding the rules is important, real-world experience and thorough research are equally valuable. 

Yep. But if you will be banned for ToS violation (you already broke rules) then real-world experience and thorough research will mean nothing anymore. 🙂

Appreciate the warning, but contacting someone on Telegram isn’t a violation—sharing contact details is outside of Upwork is, and I didn’t do that. I just played along without revealing any personal information. Maybe check the facts before jumping to conclusions. 🙂

If you contacted them on Telegram, you had to share contact details. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths