🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Concern about the misuse of the information p...
Page options
36b0e0d0
Community Member

Concern about the misuse of the information provided on the platform by some individuals

Hello everyone,
I am new to the platform, two days ago I applied for a virtual job offer and today I find that there are two people who are contacting me via WhatsApp offering me work to promote products, outside the platform and making improper use of the data provided to the platform. This worries me.

4 REPLIES 4
maresah-robinson
Community Member

Hi. How did you apply for the "virtual job offer"? Did you send a proposal through Upwork?

Yes, of course, through the platform. However, they contact me through WhatsApp to "offer" me virtual work. Obviously I replied that they should do it through the platform and blocked them.

The reason I asked is because clients don't have access to a freelancers phone number. You should definitely flag the job post.

759e32fa

Hi Diana,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please keep in mind that communicating outside Upwork prior to a contract starting is against ToS and one of the most common scams is when the client wants to take your conversation to Telegram or WhatsApp.

We highly suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths