🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to really get started on Upwork
Page options
alex_oluwaseyi
Community Member

How to really get started on Upwork

So, I've created my Upwork account since May/June, and ever since, I haven't gotten any invite, interview or gotten hired.

Truth is, I have the required skill to get a job on Upwork. 

Problem is no one really trusts someone who doesn't have a previous work or any positive feedback.

Clients check through proposals, then check through profiles, then through previous works and feedback/testimonials.

I also need a first client too, and a first feedback.

Anyone knows what I need to do, or what I have been doing wrongly. 

All suggestion is highly welcomed.

5 REPLIES 5
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You have nothing in your portfolio.

Christine A wrote:

Aren't portfolios supposed to contain projects gotten and completed for clients on upwork??

Akintola O wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Aren't portfolios supposed to contain projects gotten and completed for clients on upwork??

No, you can use anything you created and have permission to publish.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Akintola, 

I've read here in the Community that some freelancers took more than six months before they landed their first job on Upwork. 

To help you get started, I recommend checking out the curated guides that the team has included here. You may also want to check out the resources our team collected in this post, and these articles in Upwork help here and here to help you create a more robust profile. Here are some articles our team handpicked for additional tips: 

Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
b4323df4
Community Member

Hello Akintola,

I am also a newbie but I won some projects in the last month and 1 long term project.

Yes, if a freelancer hasn't any previous job experience then the buyer has a bit trust issue but think about every successful freelancer who also started from zero.

To win your first project your profile should be 100% complete and you should also add sample work to your portfolio section. The most important thing you should focus on is your cover letter because it is the first impression to the buyer if the buyer finds it creative and interesting then most probably they will visit your profile and you have a high chance of winning the project. It would be a good idea to attach your sample work along with the cover letter.

Thank you,

Hameed K.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths