Page options
noorulayyn
Community Member

I don't want to upload my picture

I don't want to upload my picture what should I do
12 REPLIES 12
NikolaS

Hi Noor,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that Upwork’s Terms of Use require that you accurately represent yourself. This includes having a profile picture that looks like you. 

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

Excuse me, I don't want to upload my face photo. I want to upload the attached photo of my logo instead of it. Can I be allowed to do that?

Tasneem G wrote:

Excuse me, I don't want to upload my face photo. I want to upload the attached photo of my logo instead of it. Can I be allowed to do that?

No, you cannot.

I agree. Requiring faces in profile photos puts the careers of freelancers at the hands of bias and discrimination. An equal playing field cannot require faces to be shown in profile photos.

On Upwork, freelancers are required to have a profile of their face.

Clients may choose to have no photo at all. Or they may use a logo or company image.

But freelancers who do not want to use a profile photo are welcome to use other platforms that do not require profile photos.

Also customer are free to discriminate at a glance.

Having a face photo should create trust. Even for the clients who have their profile photos, I feel more comfortable as a freelancer.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I don't want to upload my picture what should I do"

You are welcome to use any of the many freelance work platforms that do not require you to upload your picture.

Alternatively, you are welcome to use Upwork while uploading your picture, and which ALLOWS freelancers to upload photos with hijab, niqab, burka, etc. (if that is your concern).

datatraveler1
Community Member

Hi Noor,

I felt the same way. Ultimately, though, I had to get over it. Not long after I was onboard, there was an identity check from Upwork where one is forced to interview with Upwork and prove their identity on camera. A few months later I had another identity request. Expect the same once your profile is approved.

What makes Upwork successful, I think, is that they put a lot of effort into weeding out the fakes. Forcing all of us to show our visage is part of that effort which makes Upwork valuable and keeps the clients coming here to hire.

If you're willing to accept money from the client, you must also be willing to show your face. To help get over it, you could try arranging a portrait photo session with a professional to get your absolute best image for displaying to the world.

Good luck Smiley Very Happy

alexis-arinze
Community Member

Is there a specific reason why you don't want to?

You never know!

It could be an abusive ex that searches for their victim/spouse online.

Hopefully Upwork can allow an Avatar + Alias in the future...

As long as the work gets done authentically!

a06b10de
Community Member

you should have to upload picture. It will give the good impression toward the client. and the chance of containg a job or work from the client is increased. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths