🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Job invitation scam or not?
Page options
k_sluyter
Community Member

Job invitation scam or not?

Hello everyone,

ive got a Job invitation from a new Upwork Enterprise client for a translation review project. Ive sended my Portfolio. 

Now they want me to complete a language assesment through an external link.  I also have to fill out a form with my email address and my name. Does anyone have experience and maybe tell me if that sounds like scam?

I already checked the assessment link and it seems virus free.

I would really apreciate your support in this case.

Thanks alot

7 REPLIES 7
c4854fc2
Community Member

Hi Katharina

I would suggest go by emails. 

And don't go anywhere other platforms of chat and all. Fraudsters are here, recently being threatened by a client for career.

Thanks

Aman Gupta 

allpurposewriter
Community Member

Katharina,

For one thing, Upwork has a policy that forbids contacting someone off of the platform until a contract is signed.

While that policy sounds a lot like Upwork is protecting its residuals (its money), they are also protecting their  reputation as a worksite that keeps freelancers safe. They can't keep you safe if you go off platform.

And ... sure, aren't there are scams where all they want is your name and email address? Either way, I'm sure you've tried to verify who the client might be through Google. If they aren't verifiable, that's suspicious enough. 

903ae0be
Community Member

Might want to edit your post to say, "I've sent" . . . 🙄

56221c90
Community Member

Hi Katharina

I also received some invitation like you did and some of them was quicklly banned by Upwork.

fcac4c1d
Community Member

Hi Katharina.

How do you know the client is an Upwork Enterprise client?

The point is Upwork Enterprise clients may communicate outside the Upwork before the contact starts. Check this article for the detailed explanation. Enterprise cients are verified by Upwork and pay for their status.

Also were you asked to follow the external links and the form directly from the texting? Or you have it like onboarding tasks?

In case of onboarding process all the links are sent to you by Upwork directly. Anyway, if it's a verified Enterprise client communicating outside Upwork isn't a violation of ToS. And it's less likely a scam. Just make sure they really are.

And don't agree to have payments outside Upwork and make sure you're under hourly protection.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Enterprise clients - real ones - can be identified by a blue skyscraper icon.  Anyone can say they are Enterprise but the icon is crucial.  Also, Enterpirse clients do in fact follow different rules.  Check the Academy information about Enterprise client.

andfreelancer
Community Member

Hello, if you get a job invitation, that's good but before start a job in upwork, you just need to read all of upward rules, terms and conditions and privacy policy. If you received an invitation, please apply to the job. Be careful, check your client informations like payment method is verified or unmarrified, how much they spend and the country name. Feedback and how much the client post the number of jobs and how many freelancers that client haired. If you check those informations, you will understand the job is trusted or untrusted, scammers or real. If trusted please move forward, if not just avoid.

Thanks

Md. Asaduzzaman Shuvo.

Upwork freelancer and

Software developer at www.shanerhat.com

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths