Did you mean: 

Re: Job warning signs

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
611 of 971

Great info Exp U! Thanks!

*Am I the only one, by the way, who feels the impulse to reply in kind?'

Nope. I always want to answer that way but luckily it just stays in my head.. lol. 

sdracopol
Ace Contributor
Sebastian D Member Since: Jan 27, 2011
612 of 971

awesome post!

naomij1411
Community Leader
Naomi J Member Since: May 15, 2015
613 of 971

Thanks for this helpful post.  Can I just check whether the following should be considered a warning sign... Asking for work to be submitted in portions as you go along for a fixed price job.  As the contract is for x number of discrete units of work, I assume he is simply keen to use each unit ASAP as it comes in.  However, this requires me to upload them individually via messaging (I think this is the only way?) rather than the contract ended button, which seems more secure. I guess I am concerned the client could back out with 90% of the work done, and claim I hadnt done any.

I dont sense anything dodgy about this job, but dont want to make any newbie errors.

Many thanks

Naomi

mark8979
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
614 of 971

The client should assign milestones, and as you submit each part (and reach that milestone), you should be paid for that.

This is the fairest, especially on long-term work.

naomij1411
Community Leader
615 of 971

Thanks Mark, thats helpful.  I didnt realise milestones could be applied to fixed price jobs, for some reason I assumed it was for hourly work.  It makes sense though.  Is it too late to request milestone payment now the contract is underway?  I dont want to irritate a new client.  Although there are multiple units of work, each unit is quite short and the turnaround for the whole job is less than a week.  Milestones might therefore be a bit excessive.  Am I risking anything by continuing?  I may just provide the first half, and then ASAP turn around the second half in one lot and upload the proper way.

mark8979
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
616 of 971

It is your decision at the end of the day, but what I look for is;

Are they a first-time client?

Do they have an approved payment method?

Have they put money in escrow?

Do they have any feedback from other freelancers?

Others may look for something else.

Ultimately you have to make a decision based on what you feel about the client. You have presumably passed messages backward and forwards,

Bare in mind the vast majority of clients are decent and honest. Although people do have bad experiences, these are in the minority.

naomij1411
Community Leader
617 of 971

Thanks ace, that's reassured me I am probably being over cautious. The job is funded and the client has completed several previous contracts. Discussions have been straightforward. Have never freelanced before and it feels a bit too good to be true! So I guess I'm looking for problems. Will continue sending piecemeal and upload at the end formally. Thanks 🙂

laura-br
Laura B Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
618 of 971

million you just saved me from one of the traps.

stonefish8
Rachel P Member Since: Aug 27, 2015
619 of 971

Right on, I just pulled an all-nighter rushing a job for some **Edited for Community Guidelines** who claimed he had "problems accessing upwork on his mobile" which was why he couldn't make me an offer but to trust him and that it would happen. I trusted him, and needless to say I never heard from him again! Is there anything upwork can do to help? Or at least flag this on his profile?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
620 of 971

Rachel, by working for somebody without having a contract in place you were violating Upwork ToS agreements.

It is important that you never mention this to Customer Service. Even if they are sympathetic toward you, they may feel compelled to sanction your Upwork account in some way. I am not saying you are likely to get in trouble for this, but (a) they can't help you, and (b) there is no reason to risk getting in any kind of trouble.

I think you are safe to ask about it here, in the community forum. We understand you are new, but hopefully you learned from this experience and realize that there is no way anybody can help you get paid for work you did without having a contract in place.