🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New to Upwork
Page options
008f3e54
Community Member

New to Upwork

Hello everyone,

I have been freelancing as an accountant for roughly 4years now, though Upwork is my first online platform.I am a CPA and a Degree in Finance holder. I have been applying for numerous projects, but I am not getting any feedback. I needed to understand what the problem is. May it be my geographical location? That's why I am not being considered?

I have 6 years experience on bookkeeping and accounting as well. Does it mean I need to charge below $10 per hour for me to get a project?Or should I go for the entry positions?

Please help me out.

Mercy.
8 REPLIES 8
ijlalzaidi786
Community Member

Hi Mercy,

As you are new to the platform you should apply as an entry-level and at a low charge rate.

Regards,

Ijlal

Hi Ijlal,

I tried an entry level, like a junior accountant or something, one of the
replies I got was that the job is for new beginners in the field. Where do
I belong now?

Mercy K wrote:
Hi Ijlal,

I tried an entry level, like a junior accountant or something, one of the
replies I got was that the job is for new beginners in the field. Where do
I belong now?

You are the professional. You should know what you can do and what you want to charge for it. Stick to what you do best. 

Ijlal Z wrote:

Hi Mercy,

As you are new to the platform you should apply as an entry-level and at a low charge rate.

Regards,

Ijlal

Again, really bad advice.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mercy K wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been freelancing as an accountant for roughly 4years now, though Upwork is my first online platform.I am a CPA and a Degree in Finance holder. I have been applying for numerous projects, but I am not getting any feedback. I needed to understand what the problem is. May it be my geographical location? That's why I am not being considered?

I have 6 years experience on bookkeeping and accounting as well. Does it mean I need to charge below $10 per hour for me to get a project?Or should I go for the entry positions?

Please help me out.

Mercy.

No, never charge a low amount to get a job. That way you get stuck with low paying jobs, since potential clients will see your work history. 

You might be applying to the wrong jobs. For which countries are you certified or have the relevant knowledge? No German company will hire you for payroll accounting, for example, since they don't expect you to have the relevant local knowledge and ability to stay up to date with changing laws and regulations. 

That information should be included in your profile. You can't do accounting for anyone everywhere in the world, that is not reasonable. 

I am actually avoiding taxation and payroll jobs since I know our tax
regulations and payroll systems are not the same. I am only applying for
bookkeeping jobs that involve Quickbooks, because I am well conversant with
it.

Mercy K wrote:
I am actually avoiding taxation and payroll jobs since I know our tax
regulations and payroll systems are not the same. I am only applying for
bookkeeping jobs that involve Quickbooks, because I am well conversant with
it.

Ok. Some other comments regarding your profile: good picture, but I would like it more without the hands. Don't obstruct your face. 

Make the text personal. Talk to the client, Engage him. How will you solve his problems? 

Thank you. Let me get a better one.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths