🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New to upwork
Page options
6fc6bc06
Community Member

New to upwork

Hi all,

I received a job offer and they are asking for my personal information such my social security number and so on.

Is this normal, should they be asking for this information?

Thank you,

Sharon

6 REPLIES 6
ghiemdeleon
Community Member

No, they should not be asking for that information. What is the reseason that they gave you for asking for that information?

They said that they need it due to client confidentiality. 

ArjayM

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this. Please be reminded that a real clients will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. 

I checked your messages and I can't seem to find any communications you had with a client. I would like to let you know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6fc6bc06
Community Member

They emailed me, asking for the information.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Sharon,

Please click the Academy link on the top of this page to learn how to properly use Upwork and for success tips. Thanks!

Thanks but I think that I will be getting off this platform soon. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths