🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Strategy at Upwork
Page options
94d4952d
Community Member

Strategy at Upwork

Upwork is not for me... at least not the way it is designed now. Connects buying is hindering me from applying -- after all it's difficult to get an assignment and the applications are left only to the client: There's no way to chat with potential clients, to discuss relevant issues for a proposal. . All in all I find the strategy as a hook to expect success if you spend money: in Connects, in training... Is it only me who's questioning the platform... Thanx

2 REPLIES 2
khan_ameen
Community Member

Hi Susan
I understand your frustration with Upwork. It's true that the platform has a pay-to-apply system, and the lack of direct communication with clients before submitting a proposal can be challenging.

However, here's a different perspective that might help you find some motivation and make the most of your experience on Upwork:

1. Quality over Quantity: While buying Connects can feel like a hurdle, it also means that those who apply are likely more serious and committed. This can actually work in your favor because it reduces the competition from those who aren't as invested in providing quality work. Focus on creating high-quality proposals that stand out.

2. Optimize Your Profile: A well-crafted profile can attract clients even before you apply. Use this to your advantage by highlighting your skills, experience, and any relevant certifications. The more complete and professional your profile is, the more likely you are to get noticed.

3. Leverage Other Platforms: If Upwork isn't providing the opportunities you're looking for, consider diversifying your freelance presence. Platforms like Freelancer, Fiverr, or even LinkedIn can offer different approaches to finding work. This way, you're not putting all your eggs in one basket.

4.Build Relationships with Clients:  Although you can't chat with clients before applying, once you've completed a project, you can build a relationship with the client. This can lead to repeat business and referrals, reducing your need to constantly buy Connects.

5.Invest in Your Skills: Instead of focusing on the cost of Connects, think of them as an investment in your freelance career. If you don't get a job right away, consider using the time to upskill. Online courses and training can boost your expertise, making you more attractive to potential clients.

6. Stay Persistent and Patient: Freelancing is a journey that requires persistence and patience. It's common to face setbacks, but those who keep going often find success. Use any rejections or challenges as learning opportunities to improve your approach.

Remember, you're not alone in questioning the platform, but with a strategic mindset and a focus on continuous improvement, you can turn these challenges into opportunities. Stay motivated, and keep pushing forward—you've got this!

918c1f16
Community Member

I know, it's frustrating and a little deflating.  One thing you can do is ask those questions in the proposal.  Like, state what you can tell about the job from the information posted and then any questions that aren't answered in the post.  I do that, and if I were hiring someone, that's what I'd look for in candidates.  Personally, I've hired all sorts of people in the real World.  That's what I'd look for on here, I'm not concerned about an internet popularity contest, or a picture, and I don't have time to look at samples of past work that could've been obtained anywhere.  Just tell me what you think about the job and tell me honestly what you think you can do.   That's how I'd evaluate and decide.  But, everyone is different.    I'm very new here, I'll give it my all and go at it actively for a fair enough amount of time before I decide on the site.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths