🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Tips from Upwork’s Talent Success Team
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alma,

I have reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 
  • There are a number of punctuation and spacing mistakes in your profile Overview. You might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, I have only succeeded in getting one gig since I got to up work (more than 3 months old) i wonder if it is because of my profile?
I'm new to Upwork could you help review my profile.

oheyitsjames
Community Member

Good day Mike. I just recently opened my upwork account. Could you kindly check my profile so I can make changes that will help me get my first client. It would really be of great help to me. 

cantcaron
Community Member

Hi Mike,

My greatest frustration at the moment is the lack of communication from hirers.  I have applied for numerous positions - no response, had 2 clients ask me for examples of my work (provided), then no response.  Even if the answer is no - its not a problem, but just leaving people hanging is rude and does not really inspire me to want to engage further.

Is this common behaviour?, is there a code of practice that hirers should adhere to?

thanks

Caron

Caron C wrote:

I have applied for numerous positions - no response, had 2 clients ask me for examples of my work (provided), then no response.  Even if the answer is no - its not a problem, but just leaving people hanging is rude and does not really inspire me to want to engage further.

Is this common behaviour?, is there a code of practice that hirers should adhere to?

It's the norm that you won't hear from clients unless they're interested in hiring you. As far as I'm aware, this is the case everywhere these days; even when people apply for permanent jobs they're usually told that they won't be contacted unless they're shortlisted.

Try not to think of it as rude behaviour. As soon as a client opens a private message board - even just to say "thanks, but no thanks" - they're opening the floodgates to having 50 or more freelancers message them back and beg for the job. It's for the best if they just don't say anything.

BTW, most clients won't bother contacting you to ask for examples of your work - they'll just ignore your proposal. You should have a portfolio, and/or attach relevant examples with your bid. 

Caron C wrote:

Hi Mike,

My greatest frustration at the moment is the lack of communication from hirers.  I have applied for numerous positions - no response, had 2 clients ask me for examples of my work (provided), then no response.  Even if the answer is no - its not a problem, but just leaving people hanging is rude and does not really inspire me to want to engage further.

thanks

Caron

Make sure to include A LOT of examples of your prior work in your portfolio. Make it easy for clients to evaluate it and decide if you are a good fit, most clients will not ask for examples, because your competition already provides plenty. 

Edit: I assumed you did something graphic-related, so my remark might not apply as much. In any case, provide examples of whatever it is that you do. 

stevekaneya
Community Member

Hi Mike, i hope this finds you well and that it doesn't take much of your time. I created my account over two years ago but just started using it actively this month. How do i know that it has been approved?

Also, I've been sumitting proposals but they just get listed on the proposals section of my profile, with no feedack at all from anyone. Is there a problem with my account?

Or could i be doing something wrong?, Please advice.

Hi Stephen,

I apologize for the delay in my response. First, welcome back to Upwork! Second, your profile is approved! Don't be discouraged if you don't receive responses to proposals. Persistence is key.

One suggestion I have for your profile is to add more items to your Upwork portfolio. Right now you only have one entry, but we've found that clients like to see at least four separate entries. And many clients do not want to have to navigate to an external portfolio. They may not even open your first portfolio item (where you link to your external portfolio) if they only see one entry.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
duafatima786
Community Member

Hello, 

I did the same what you've suggested for Freelancers, i.e. 100% profile completion, regularly apply for projects & visibility of profile to public.

I didn't receive any remarkable job by apply the same rule, I think there's something  missing in my profile that's why I can't win job. 

Please give me advice about my profile & other things to remember etc.

Hi Tahira,

Thank you for your message. I want to congratulate you on winning your first contract on Upwork! One thing that may help you win more work is to have a positive review on your profile. Consider asking your client to leave a review. You may need to enable feedback as it has been more than 14 days since the contract ended.

I reviewed your profile and your written English skills are strong. However, I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
a_bassioni
Community Member

I am just a few month new on Upwork. As mentioned on my profile I am an Artist / Illustrator / Printmaker and I would like very much to gain more experience freelancing illustrations specifically book illustrations. I would like to hear from you your opinions on my profile page as I am sending proposals for a few month now with no replies back. I take time sending the proposals and read a lot about how to write winning ones.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Alia,

Thank you for your message. I looked at your profile and I have a few suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients.
    • Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.).

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks a lot Mike. Will work on your advice.

Thanks again.

I have been looking for remote work. Im ready and able to work. So far I am only getting contacted by scammers.

This is becoming very frustrating. Any suggestions?

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Richlyn,

I'm sorry to learn you're being faced with scams. Based on a recent exchange you had with a client, it looks like you're already aware of the red flags to watch out for, but this blog post can provide additional insight if you haven't checked it out already. Recently we made changes to our processes that allow us to catch more scams before the jobs are visible to the public. So, hopefully, you will see improvement.

I took a quick look at your profile and made a couple of observations:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is a little short compared to the average. Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike

Hello Mike,

I hope you're having a great day so far, and thank you for your interest and effort in helping newbies!

I'm quite new to Upwork and I was wondering if you could take a look at my profile and tell me where I can make some improvements. Especially with my title, should I include my niches (fashion and language learning) in it?

I would also like to know if I should include my work experience on Upwork in the description, or is it enough to just add them in portfolios.

Best,

Vanessa

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi, Mike,

Thank you for your helpful feedback, I will work on the points you mentioned!

Best,

Vanessa

arsalanalisajid
Community Member

Hello,

Can you tell me why I didn't receive Rising Talent Badge yet?

Arsalan A.

Hi Arsalan,

Once qualified you will receive an email confirmation, the badge will be awarded on your profile in up to 48 hours. To learn more about the requirements check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
henilkajavadra
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Could you do a review of my profile and offers some feedback? I'd appreciate some feedback on the profile overall. 

danish1404
Community Member

Hi Mike can you please check my profile and let me know if I have to make some changes in it or no in order to win clients ?

Hi Muhammad,

Thanks for your response. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Based on your noted skills, your title may not provide a full overview of your expertise.Your title, "Sales & Marketing", is too vague for clients to understand what work you do. Precise titles that specify the services you offer are more likely to catch the attention of clients that need your expertise.

• Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Everyone,

I updated my initial post to include a link to this great new article: How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2021. I encourage you to check it out!

Cheers,
Mike
kaplan_norma
Community Member

All of this is fine - except I can never get a hold of a real person for real answers.

vickyivs428
Community Member

Hi Mike, 

Could you figure out the link issue about the rising talent and article link? 

Becasue they alwasy switched this page after one second: 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us?code=8b8f00876847060d3d0431e08d5d7aef

I don't think it is right page related to it.    

Thanks 

Vicky 

Hi Mike,

I would love to have the opportunity to have my profile reviewed. I have been trying to land job as a product designer from the job board of UpWork. I have used Upwork's tips and resources to help improve my profile. However, I have been unsuccessful and my connects are running low already. Hope the community can help.

Thank you very much.

Hi Vicky,

Can you please send me a direct message explaining the problem you are experiencing?

Cheers,
Mike

Dear Mike, 

I found the solution.  I need to open the hyper link (the rising talent program) by incognito mode.   Then I could just see the tip.   So I don't know if it is my browser problem or not. 

Thanks! 

Vicky 

I submitted some of the proposals for work but most of the people asking for money , want can I do , can i have a quick response

divyarajput95
Community Member

Hello Mike, Thanks for your interest to help new Freelancers. I would be glad if you can help me build my profile, Please reply me so that i can share my profile with you for review.

Thank you.
Divya

Hi Divya,

Thank you for your message. I have reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list. Another idea is to use bullets and other delineators to break up your profile.
  • Your profile is only 75% complete. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
26c8ff25
Community Member

Hi, Mike! Can you please check my profile and let me know the suggestions you have to improve and upgrade my Upwork profile. Thank you so much for helping newcomers on this journey on this platform.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for your message. I have reviewed your profile and it looks great. I do have a couple of suggestions:

• To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work in your portfolio. Currently, you have 3, but our research shows clients like to see at least 4 examples.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
photoshopcc
Community Member

Thank you so much

clippingfiximage
Community Member

Hi Mike,

I want to talk to you. Please help me. Thank you. I want to know, how to succeed in the Upwork proposal? How to write this cover later. Please help me.

Best regards,

Pronob Kumar.

Hi Pronob,

Thank you for your response. I've put together a list of articles that you might find helpful:

I hope these help!

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks
razades
Community Member

Hello Mike, Thanks for your interest to help new Freelancers like me. I would be glad if you can help me grow my profile, Please reply to me so that I can share my profile with you for review.

Thank you.

Ahmad.

Razades
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for your message. Here are some suggestions for improving your profile:

Cheers,
Mike
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths