🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Honestly I'm confused. Upwork does not va...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849

Hi Mark J,

Could you please check out my profile to see if it's good enough? I'm new to upwork and I already sent 5 proposals yet no hires...

I actually specialize in creative and fiction writing. Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Hi Ruth,

I reviewed your profile and suggest you check out these articles for ways to improve it:

Cheers,
Mike
iqbalhaider66
Community Member

Great work Mike and thanks for your interest in developing new freelancers at Upwork,well i started since a month as a data entry/administrative work/ virtual assistant hence i have applied for almost 58 proposals related to my profile spend about 170 connects but did'nt even got a single project even i always applied to jobs published within 5 to 10 min and my profile is 100%, i also took membership plan, bid mininum amount, upgraded my profile 2 times, published portfolio aswell, means i have taken all necessary steps but still did'nt succeed yet to take a single project. So depressed what to do now??

Hi Raza,

Thank you for your message. Your profile looks very good. One thing to keep in mind is that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
udechukwu
Community Member

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your tips and making yourself available to help new freelancers on Upwork.

Can you please have a look at my profile. Are there changes i need to make so it looks more proffessional and applealing to clients.

I have sent several proposals with a few interviews but no contract yet I am wondering what could be the issue

Thank you

1f32be23
Community Member

Hi Mike 

Thanks very much for your help . I would appreciate for you if you can review my account to grow and give better idea . because I have not Rising Talented mark even if everything is okay and clear on my account. I thought I already followed your conditions to get it .but nothing is coming to me . as well what should I do to improve my account to get more jobs and to have win-win contracts with clients? can I make well-designed my account profile again?

I wonder about that . Thanks again!

lucynjoki270
Community Member

Hi Mr. Mike, am really grateful for this, i found it helpful, i need you to help me please am new in upwork.

lucynjoki270
Community Member

Hi Mike,

kindly help me finish my profile

Hi Lucy,

I reviewed your profile and it's quite brief. I suggest you review these articles:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
haseebmaqbool
Community Member

Hello!
I am new in the stream please suggest me what public or private mode I should choose???

Hi Haseeb M,

always use public mode if you wish to get jobs.

Thanks

maliofficial96
Community Member

Thanks a lot, Mike J. for your valuable information.  

webhadiul
Community Member

Hi dear, I am new to upwork. I have just done one thing. But I’ve done a lot of work in other marketplaces. When I'm bit, clients don't believe me. How can I make them credible? And can I take the job? Honestly I'm confused. Upwork does not value newcomers

I know what you are feeling.  I don't know what to say. I had to contact customer service regarding a testimonial from a client after they rejected it for no reason.  I thought they were discriminating and bias towards me. They then let my client re-submit the testimonial.

One webinar I attended (from Upwork) said to keep applying. That is what I'm doing.  I also decided to subscribe to Upwork so that they don't change my "public" view to "private." 

Hi Hadiul,

I understand your concern and suggest you make use of the Testimonials tool.

Cheers,
Mike
297b3008
Community Member

Hi Mike

I am new to Upwork but I have tried sending out proposals with no response. Can you please review my profile and help me know what I need to do.

Thanks
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mary,

The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Don't lose hope! It can take more than 10 proposals to win your first contract.

Cheers,
Mike
a5f85bb2
Community Member

Mike! Help!

I've worked so hard on my proposals (no two are alike!), and I apply to new jobs daily! Could you take a look over my attempts/account and provide me with some specific tips? So many great jobs, but I've only gotten one contract! Not that I'm complaining too much, I love the guy I'm working with, but I'd also love to diversify and be able to pay some bills!

Thanks so much,

Sarah

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.

I also suggest you check out these articles:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
veronievee
Community Member

Thanks mike. Am new to this and thats encouraging
kerlynn7
Community Member

Hi Mike!!

Thank you for offering your expertise! Would you mind taking a look at my profile and sharing any suggested improvements? After joining Upwork last month and enjoying Rising Talent status and a 100% JSS, my score recently dropped to 83% due to 4.2 feedback weighted heavily ($) against six 5-star projects. Hence, I’m trying to do whatever I can to win new projects and bring up my score. Thanks in advance for your help!  Here is a link to my profile:  https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/~01843e1ad879e68759/

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kerri,

Thanks for your message. Your profile looks good. One thing to note is that the beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks so much Mike! I appreciate it!!
developer_musa
Community Member

Hi,

I open my Upwork profile in 2017, but I try to work in Upwork a few months ago. Could you check my profile and provide me with feedback.

I will appreciate it! Thank you!

Hi Abu,

Thank you for your reponse. I reviewed your profile and here are some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah thank u so much
ashley_brett23
Community Member

Hello,

I have a question as a new freelancer to Upwork. I have accepted my first offer from a client. He has asked me to call him for our first communication on his cellphone. Is this acceptable?  

Thank you,

Ashley Brett

If he want you to call through Upwork then its fine but if he let you
contact outside the Upwork then its against Upwork policies.

Can I call his cell number with in Upwork?

Yes you can, thats why there is a call option as well because if someone
have to discuss deeply then he/she can prefer to discuss on call.

Writing a cover letter

Hi Ashley,

This response is long overdue. I apologize that I missed your message. Once a contract is in place (you've accepted an offer through the platform), it is okay to communicate outside of Upwork.

Cheers,
Mike
abdulwadudu
Community Member

Thanks very much this post is really helpful

Can any one here help review my profile for me to see if there is any lapses. Thanks

Hi Abdul,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• Your profile is only 75% complete. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.

• Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list. Another idea is to use bullets and other delineators to break up your profile.

• Photos make a strong first impression. Clear, headshot-style photos with a simple background work best. Improve yours by taking a photo with a plain background and higher resolution. Check out this how-to guide.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
3bf2269b
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Your post is really helpful to me. I'm new here and know nothing about how Upwork works. Could you please review my profile?

Also, my team and I strive to reach more customers who are in need of a website and brand identity. How can I find them in Upwork. 

Best regard,

JAMstack Vietnam.

c7c40177
Community Member

Good afternoon, Mike!

If it's not difficult for you, I would like to ask you to look at my profile and point out errors and give any advice on the profile to win contracts.
And some more tips for taking the Rising Talent test: How many tries are given? I can't get through it ((

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anya,

Thank you for your message. You may complete the Upwork Readiness Test as many times as needed. Please review the ariticles linked here for the needed information to pass the test. 

I reviewed your profile and suggest you add to your portfolio. Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
7d3dd3cd
Community Member

Hi Mike, 

I have some clients who have written testimonials but they have not been posted to my profile. It's been one week already. What is the general timeframe for testimonials to be uploaded by Upwork? Thanks for the helpful tips.

Best,

Jen L.

Hi Jennifer,

Please allow 10 business days for your Testimonial request to be reviewed.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths