🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Guide me about a job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740
8465d89f
Community Member

Hi All 💖

I have sent many job proposals related to my work. But my proposals are not even seen by any client. Also I worry about the Connects. 🤔 Tell me what would be the best way to write a proposal. If possible can you help me to explain it better through a format?

Thanks 🥰

manshashahid
Community Member

I am new to Upwork with 100% profile but I dont know how to work. Is it be a part time or full time. How can I get attached to client. Is someone practically help me. I am basically Quickbooks Accountant desktop and know-how about QBO but no work and certification and experte.

Hi Muhammad,

Welcome to Upwork! We’re here to help you navigate the world of online work. Let’s start with the basics here at Upwork.
Below there are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:

Additionally, feel free to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork. We hope you find these online resources useful in your Upwork journey.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork
d9284037
Community Member

Hi,

Im new here. I dont know how to start in this kind of job. Help me please. 

Thank you

514e9c82
Community Member

I am a new seller. I have opened an Upwork account about a month ago, so far I have not received any work. Tell me how can I get Upwork a job.

Shahzad

154e7606
Community Member

Hi, I have created a quick video about how to improve your chances of getting hired on upwork.

I hope I have covered a few pointers that have struck me.

Please add anything that I might have missed to mention.

I hope the video is usefull to atleast a few people.

Cheers,

Rajesh

ac387007
Community Member

i Dont have any VA experience yet but I wish their's someone there who can train me to have any ideas 🙂

10cedcdd
Community Member

Hello, I am new to Upwork. I finished a Digital marketing and social media management course recently and managing social media for a local buyer. I have used connects and bid 5 jobs but didn't get any reply. How to get a job for a new member like me? 
I am fine with low pay I just want to start getting customers and build my profile.
Any suggestions and tricks will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Iftakher,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
~ Joanne
Upwork
ed98fdff
Community Member

Congratulations on taking the first step towards becoming a freelancer! Whether you're looking to start a new career or just looking for some extra income, freelancing can be a great way to achieve your goals. However, being a new freelancer can be daunting, with so many things to consider and learn. Here are some tips to help you get starte

Determine your niche

Before you start freelancing, it's important to determine your niche. What skills do you have that you can offer as a service? What kind of work do you enjoy doing? Are there any industries that you're particularly interested in? By determining your niche, you'll be able to focus your efforts and market yourself more effectively

Set up your online presence

As a freelancer, your online presence is crucial. You should have a professional-looking website that showcases your work and services. You can use platforms like Wix, WordPress, or Squarespace to create your website. Make sure your website includes your portfolio, your contact information, and your pricing

Create a portfolio

Your portfolio is what will showcase your skills and attract potential clients. Make sure your portfolio is easy to navigate, visually appealing, and includes your best work. You can also include testimonials from past clients to show that you have a track record of delivering high-quality work

Set your rates

Setting your rates can be one of the most challenging parts of freelancing. You don't want to price yourself too low and undervalue your work, but you also don't want to price yourself too high and miss out on potential clients. Research what other freelancers in your niche are charging and determine your rates accordingly

Market yourself

Once you have your online presence set up and your portfolio created, it's time to start marketing yourself. Use social media platforms like Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram to showcase your work and connect with potential clients. You can also join freelance job boards and online communities to find work

Stay organized 

As a freelancer, you'll need to stay organized to keep track of your projects, deadlines, and finances. Consider using tools like Trello, Asana, or Monday.com to keep track of your projects and deadlines. You can also use accounting software like QuickBooks or Xero to keep track of your finances

Stay motivated

Freelancing can be challenging, especially when you're first starting out. It's important to stay motivated and focused on your goals. Take breaks when you need to, celebrate your successes, and keep learning and growing as a freelancer

In conclusion, becoming a freelancer can be an exciting and rewarding experience. By following these tips and staying focused on your goals, you can build a successful career as a freelancer. Good Luck!

9c127702
Community Member

I am so glad 

ec037a09
Community Member

Thanks for sharing 

22db23e1
Community Member

I need work! 

Typing copy past,

Infographics

Layrs 

Book cover 

Vedio editing

YouTube Thumbnails 

Product list 

And SEO content writing 

Hi Muhsin,

Welcome to Upwork! We’re here to help you navigate the world of online work. Let’s start with the basics here at Upwork.
Below there are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:

Additionally, feel free to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
We hope you find these online resources useful in your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
74cc4e2d
Community Member

How to start 

as I am a fresher little challenging 

We are also new for upwork

Build your portfolio 

Submit proposal 

Be patience 

1ab2f66d
Community Member

Howdy Howdy! 

Happy to be here. I have been on the platform for a while, but am just now really starting to optimize and utilize it. 

I'm currently working on getting my profile back to the public but am ready to dive in. I know there are a lot of forums, but if anyone here has any advice on how to get rolling quickly that would be great!

Warmly,

Dani Sanders

45bcbdb3
Community Member

Hello, I'm new glad to be here!

45a7b9fc
Community Member

hello, i have a lot of problems, i really need to work, can you help me with this?

294e0989
Community Member

Can I get client even if I'm a newbie?

Hi Renelyn,

New freelancers are welcome to apply to jobs that fit their skills and experience. Clients may also invite you to apply for their job posts. I looked at your profile and noticed you hadn't completed it yet. To have a higher chance of getting noticed by clients, I suggest that you check the following Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:

Additionally, feel free to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
We hope you find these online resources useful in your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
3a1b2458
Community Member

I did my first job nicely. But I can not get the second one. Now, what can I do next...

bec23653
Community Member

bec23653
Community Member

Develop a niche: By specializing in a specific area or skill, you can attract clients who are willing to pay top dollar for your expertise. This also makes it easier to stand out from the competition and build a reputation as a top-notch freelancer in your field.

Optimize your profile: Make sure your Upwork profile highlights your skills, experience, and achievements in a clear and compelling way. Use relevant keywords in your profile and portfolio to improve your visibility in search results.

Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio should showcase your best work and demonstrate your ability to deliver high-quality results. Including case studies, testimonials, and client feedback can also help build credibility and trust with potential clients.

Network and market yourself: Connect with other freelancers and potential clients on Upwork and other online platforms to expand your reach. Participate in forums and groups related to your niche to establish yourself as an expert in your field.

Communicate effectively: Make sure you understand your client's needs and expectations, and communicate clearly and frequently throughout the project. This helps build trust and ensures that both you and your client are on the same page.

Provide exceptional service: By delivering high-quality work on time and within budget, you can build long-term relationships with clients and earn repeat business. Going above and beyond to exceed client expectations can also lead to referrals and positive reviews, which can help attract new clients and command higher rates.

Focus on quality over quantity: Rather than applying for as many jobs as possible, focus on applying for jobs that align with your skills and expertise. This allows you to put your best foot forward and increase your chances of landing high-paying clients.

Set competitive rates: Research market rates and set your rates competitively to attract clients who are willing to pay for quality work. Avoid undercutting your rates as it may attract low-paying clients who don't value your expertise.

Stay up-to-date with industry trends: Keep yourself informed about the latest trends and technologies in your field to stay ahead of the competition. This allows you to offer cutting-edge solutions to clients and position yourself as an expert in your field.

Be responsive and professional: Respond to client inquiries promptly and professionally. This demonstrates your commitment to the project and builds trust with clients.

Be flexible and adaptable: Be open to feedback and willing to make adjustments to meet client needs. This shows that you value their input and are dedicated to delivering the best possible results.

Create customized proposals: Tailor your proposals to each client's specific needs and showcase how your skills and experience can help them achieve their goals. Avoid using generic proposals as they may not stand out among the competition.

Build relationships with clients: Treat each client as a valuable relationship and focus on building a strong rapport. This can lead to repeat business and referrals, which are essential for building a successful freelancing career on Upwork.

Stay organized and efficient: Use project management tools and time-tracking software to stay organized and efficient. This allows you to deliver high-quality work within the given timeframe and budget.

Seek feedback and learn from it: Ask clients for feedback on your work and use it to improve your skills and service. This demonstrates your commitment to continuous improvement and can help you build a positive reputation on Upwork.

Be proactive and creative: Look for opportunities to add value to your clients beyond the scope of the project. For example, you can offer to do additional research or provide suggestions for improving their business. This can set you apart from the competition and establish you as a trusted advisor.

Leverage social media: Use social media platforms like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook to promote your services and connect with potential clients. This can help expand your reach and attract clients who are not actively searching for freelancers on Upwork.

Offer value-added services: Consider offering additional services that complement your primary skills, such as content marketing or social media management. This can help you attract a wider range of clients and increase your earning potential.

Stay active on the platform: Stay active on Upwork by regularly updating your profile, applying for jobs, and responding to client inquiries. This demonstrates your commitment to the platform and shows potential clients that you are reliable and dedicated.

Maintain a positive attitude: Freelancing on Upwork can be challenging at times, but maintaining a positive attitude can help you stay motivated and focused on your goals. Keep in mind that building a successful freelancing career takes time and effort, but the rewards can be significant.

Overall, the key to landing high-paying clients on Upwork is to showcase your skills, build a strong reputation, and provide exceptional service that exceeds client expectations. By following these strategies, you can maximize your earning potential and establish yourself as a top freelancer on the platform.

32e81aaf
Community Member

The process of writing a professional cover letter for Upwork can be broken down into several steps:

1. Understand the job requirements: Read the job description carefully and make sure you understand what the client is looking for. Highlight the key skills and requirements and keep them in mind while writing your cover letter.

2. Research the client: Before writing your cover letter, research the client to understand their business, their needs, and their values. This will help you tailor your letter to their specific needs and demonstrate your understanding of their business.

3. Introduce yourself: Start your letter by introducing yourself and your relevant experience. Highlight your qualifications and explain why you are the best candidate for the job.

4. Show your enthusiasm: Demonstrate your enthusiasm for the job and the client's business. Explain why you are interested in working with them and how you can contribute to their success.

5. Provide examples: Provide examples of your relevant work experience and skills. Use specific examples to show how you have applied your skills in the past and how they can be applied to the client's needs.

6. Customize your letter: Customize your cover letter for each job application. Use the client's name and personalize your letter to show that you have read and understood their requirements.

Tips to keep in mind while writing your cover letter:

1. Keep it brief and to the point: Your cover letter should be concise and to the point. Avoid rambling or providing too much information.

2. Highlight your relevant skills and experience: Focus on the skills and experience that are most relevant to the job requirements.

3. Use a professional tone: Use a professional tone and avoid using slang or informal language.

4. Proofread your letter: Proofread your letter carefully to avoid any spelling or grammatical errors.

5. Follow Up: If you don't hear back from the client, follow up after a few days to show your interest and enthusiasm for the job.

742abc9d
Community Member

Hey I am new at Upwork. I want job if you guys anyone want to give me a job thane reply please

8efd4f03
Community Member

52f7cd06
Community Member

Hi am a member on upwork.

Faiza Atif
f03a847d
Community Member

I very happy to learn more and working hard to get more clients

upwork is such a wonderful place for me 

Ramohowe
3a49d474
Community Member

If you’re new to Upwork or struggling to get jobs on the platform, you might be wondering how some freelancers manage to achieve success and earn good money. In this post, I will share my story of how I became a top-rated freelancer and what tips I can give you to follow in my footsteps.

I joined Upwork in November 2021 with high hopes of finding freelance work online. However, it was not easy at first. Thousands of other freelancers had more experience and reviews than me. I applied for many jobs but got no response from most of them.

Then one day, I got lucky. I got a job for $0.5 (10 minutes of an hourly job) where the client hired all the freelancers who applied. It was a simple data entry job and I completed it quickly. I got my first review on Upwork and was very happy (but it was not shown in my profile because it's less than $1😢).

But then I got scammed. The next job I got was from a client who asked me to do some work outside of Upwork and then disappeared without paying me. I had no idea about scams before so I felt cheated and frustrated. I decided not to give up though. I spent many days learning by reading articles and posts on the Upwork community. I learned how to spot and avoid scams and how to protect myself as a freelancer. I also worked on making a strong profile that showed my skills and experience well.

In February 2022, things changed for me. I got two jobs on the same day only! And from then on, my journey started. I did both jobs with full dedication and quality and got positive feedback from both clients😊. Since then, I have completed more than 40 jobs for many different clients, some of them are long-term clients.

I am now a top-rated freelancer with a 100% JSS. I am very happy with my journey so far and grateful to Upwork for giving me this opportunity. It can be difficult to get your first job or first few jobs but once you get your JSS, you will get more jobs. So don’t lose hope - just keep trying hard and the Upwork community will help you achieve success.

I am inspired by this story. I am new to this platform, and I have been looking to land my first job for almost two months now, but I am hopeful that I will succeed in the long run. 

Thank you for encouraging me not to give up.

Community Member

Hi I'm Marileth Hila. I'm an artist, researcher and essay writer. I hope I can get client immediately. Hoping to earn early here. Thank you guys

80fc38de
Community Member

New to upwork finding work 

4a739a83
Community Member

Hello everyone its all nice to meet you im new here and im having a hard time to find a job due to no experience because im also a student do you have some tips and advice for me ?

thank you so much!

Hi team

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek your assistance regarding my experience on Upwork. I have been a member of this platform for more than two months now, and I have yet to secure a job. I even upgraded my membership, but still, no luck.

I am reaching out to you all because I believe that some of you may have more experience in this field and could help me identify any issues with my profile. I have seen some jobs that I know I can do perfectly, but I have not been successful in securing them.

I acknowledge that I am new to Upwork, but I have worked on other freelance sites before. However, I am now fully committed to Upwork and wish to make it my primary source of income.

Therefore, I kindly ask that someone in this group could take a few moments to review my profile and offer me constructive feedback. Perhaps there is something that I am doing wrong that I am not aware of, and your input would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message, and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Best regards,
[Ilyass Ali]

7b8bba46
Community Member

Hi my name is Mohsin i new to upwork please guide me how i get a job 

elisa_b
Community Member
9488439b
Community Member

I am a new user here in Upwork, anyone can advice me what types of work is needed to be done here? I need someone who can assist me

f46b5e35
Community Member

Hi! I' am looking new opportunity of job through online work. I was started here in upwork not less than 1 month.

I have profile completeness 100% and i have almost 5 clients sending proposal and 1 of them I think it is scam. 

Can you help me how to have with client. A client that is not scam.

Thank you for your help.

I will appreciate your kindness.

Thank you. 

hello dear, if your customer's payment method is verified, with the look of a line of blue stars,  it is not a scam

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths