As part of our continual effort to create a more inclusive future of economic opportunity on our platform, we are happy to announce that independent talent will now be able to add military service to their Upwork profile. This release provides talent from around the world with the option to highlight their military service by adding a Military Veteran icon to their profile. Some talent may have noticed that the United States Military Veterans Upwork Group was closed in late 2019. In response to the popularity of this group, and to be more globally inclusive, we created the Military Veteran icon as a way to feature military veteran status for former group members and to extend the ability to highlight military service to existing and new talent who wish to showcase this for clients looking to hire military veterans.
How to add the optional military veteran icon to your profile:
- An option to add the Military Veteran icon now appears in the “Verifications” section located in the left side-panel of your profile. Selecting this option guides talent through the confirmation process.
- If you were previously part of the Upwork Veterans Group, you will be asked to reverify to obtain the Military Veteran icon as a result of the group being retired and closed.
- At this time, we only support the following discharge statuses: Honorable Discharge or General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions
Please note, in September 2019 the Military Veterans Group was discontinued. Learn more about the deprecated Veterans Group here. For the time being, Military Veteran Group icon will remain on the profile of those who were members of the group. The group icon will continue to appear in addition to the new Military Veteran icon.
Information required to be considered for the icon includes:
- Country of service
- Branch of service (i.e., Air Force, Navy)
- Dates of active duty
What will the military veteran icon look like on profiles?
When clients hover over the military veteran icon, the country and branch of service will be viewable.
A flag icon and “Military Veteran” will appear next to your name representing the county served:
How does this differ from the supplier diversity U.S. Veteran-owned business certification?
Upwork also enables talent to provide business-level diversity certifications as part of our supplier diversity features. This is a different badge for businesses and the approval process is separate from the Military Veteran icon. If you’re a US military veteran and have a certified veteran-owned business, you may be eligible to receive a Diversity-certified Badge on your profile. Organizations that verify veteran-owned businesses include:
- National Veteran Business Development Council
- Veterans Affairs / Vetbiz
- System for Award Management
You can read more about supplier diversity here.
Remember, electing to include your veteran status is optional. Upwork thanks you for being a part of the Upwork community of professional talent.
For more information on the Military Veteran icon, please see the Add your Military Veteran Status to Your Profile help article.
If you have questions or would like to share feedback, please visit the Community discussion.