🐈
» Forums » Support » Blocked account consciousness. Unfair Treatme...
Page options
shohebulalam1
Community Member

Blocked account consciousness. Unfair Treatment by Upwork: All Contracts Ended Without Justification

Dear Upwork Community,

I'm writing to share a deeply concerning experience I recently encountered on the platform, and I believe it's crucial to shed light on it for the sake of transparency and fairness.

Recently, I found myself inadvertently involved in a situation where a client violated Upwork's policies by requesting me to purchase a service for them, which goes against the platform's rules. Due to my lack of immediate recall of these guidelines, I unknowingly proceeded, thinking it was part of the job.

While Upwork took appropriate action by closing or banning the client's account and temporarily blocking mine for investigation, the repercussions extended far beyond what seemed justifiable. Not only was my financial activity suspended, but all my ongoing hourly contracts were abruptly terminated without any prior warning. 

It is crucial to clarify that I did not report this incident to Upwork since I did not engage in the illicit activity requested by the client. Furthermore, I refused the request with the client once I realized the nature of their request.

As a freelancer who relies on Upwork for livelihood, this sudden and unilateral termination of all contracts has caused significant distress and financial strain. It's disheartening to see such severe consequences imposed without considering the context or allowing for a chance to rectify the situation.

I understand the importance of upholding the integrity of the platform and complying with its policies, but it's equally important for Upwork to ensure fair and proportionate treatment of its users. The blanket termination of contracts without due process not only undermines the trust and stability of freelancers but also raises concerns about the platform's commitment to supporting its community.

I urge Upwork to review its policies regarding contract terminations and adopt a more transparent and equitable approach in handling similar situations in the future.

I appreciate the opportunity to voice my concerns here and hope for a constructive dialogue toward finding a resolution that upholds fairness and accountability on Upwork.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely, 

Sohebul Alam

1 REPLY 1
shahadath68
Community Member

I agree with you. I think Upwork should consider what you suggested.

Why don't they make it mandatory for the clients to do the ID verification? Recently we have seen an increasing number of spams from the client's end. 

They come and approach freelance and many of the freelance fall into the trap and lose their account on which their livelihood depends.

--Top Rated Lead Generation | Web Research | LinkedIn Expert
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths