🐈
» Forums » Support » Client cheated on me for 40 hours work for th...
Page options
kimguo
Community Member

Client cheated on me for 40 hours work for them for free

ticket number #37051931

I got a contract to work hourly, 8 hours/day total of 5 days. 

As I fully trust Upwork, and I am a new member of Upwork,
After with contract, I start work for this client, and ask client about payment setup, but the client answered to work for them first will let me know after, 5 working days after, the client immediately closed my contract on Upwork, and without any notice, without any reason.

and unfortunately, I also haven't gotten any paid.

I have all conversations from this client internal group and shows that the clients just don't want to pay freelancer.
Now this clients have blocked me on the website.

Kindly advice any support can have from Upwork customers.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Qin:

You used Upwork incorrectly.

This is the freelancer's fault.

Sorry.

I feel very bad about what happened.

But there is nothing that can be done. This matter is now over.

Next time, don't work for free.

Don't work without a contract.

If you have a contract, run the desktop time-tracker application while you work.

re: "I have all conversations from this client internal group and shows that the clients just don't want to pay freelancer."

That does not matter. Payment is made based on hours logged. Not based on conversations.

Hey Preston,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I don't agree with your idea.

If this freelancer is new, when the first contract comes, there should be at least an email reminder or a notification from the Upwork system to tell freelancers to track the time. 

In this case, as in the first contract, I didn't receive any kind reminder to say that freelancers need to tract the time lime, as the contract mentioned clear the work hourly and with time zone, should be automatically set.

This is not a good reason if a freelancer should be fully ready and understand the rule when they start work on the first project.

I hope you will not work for some clients for free in the future, for what you answed.

Qin:

But even if I'm completely wrong, and you are right about this...

Does it matter at this point?

Either way, you now know that you need to use the time-tracker to log your time, so that you get paid for your work. So that knowledge is a good thing.

joywriter
Community Member

Hi Qin,

Unfortunately because you didn't track your hours using the app right from the start, Upwork will not be able to help.

Please remember to track your hours using the app as that is the only way to really have Upwork guarantee payment on your end.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can or will be done to get you the payment but it is a learning experience for sure.

Best of luck!

Hugo

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths