🐈
» Forums » Support » Client filed Chargeback after close both cont...
Page options
firdous-mushtaq
Community Member

Client filed Chargeback after close both contracts

I had the opportunity to collaborate with a client on two projects. The first project client purchased a catalog gig for $149. I completed the task, delivered the code, and closed the contract with 5-star feedback. Shortly after, the client requested a quote for additional tasks. I provided a quote of $400 along with a timeline, and the client created a new contract. Once again, I completed the task, delivered the code, and closed the contract successfully. I received 5 stars on this job too.

However after 11 days today, I received an email notifying me that the client has filed a chargeback on both projects. This is a new experience for me, as I have never encountered this issue in my 7 years of working on this platform. I am concerned that if this trend continues, clients may take advantage of our work and then file chargebacks, which is disappointing and frustrating.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ArjayM

Hi Ali Mohd,

I'm sorry to learn about this disappointing experience. We understand how frustrating it is not to receive the payment for the work done on your projects. A chargeback happens when someone contacts their bank and asks them to reverse a payment they already made.

However, I see that you've been coordinating with the appropriate team about this incident and provided evidence as well as details and messages from the project's workroom. Our team will use this information to build a rebuttal against your client's claim.

Please expect an update from the team once they receive the bank's final decision. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while we sort this out. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ArjayM

Hi Ali Mohd,

I'm sorry to learn about this disappointing experience. We understand how frustrating it is not to receive the payment for the work done on your projects. A chargeback happens when someone contacts their bank and asks them to reverse a payment they already made.

However, I see that you've been coordinating with the appropriate team about this incident and provided evidence as well as details and messages from the project's workroom. Our team will use this information to build a rebuttal against your client's claim.

Please expect an update from the team once they receive the bank's final decision. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while we sort this out. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
firdous-mushtaq
Community Member

Upwork has made the decision to refund the money I earned back to the client. It is disheartening to know that I dedicated two weeks of hard work to complete the job following the client's requirements, receiving a 5-star rating on both tasks. Despite successfully finishing both assignments, I was informed that I must refund the money I earned because the client requested it back, essentially obtaining the work for free.

Having utilized Upwork for seven years, this particular incident has shaken my trust in the platform. The ticket generated from Upwork support has already been closed, preventing me from responding. Additionally, my withdrawal is blocked until all funds are returned to the client, which I find to be completely unjust.

firdous-mushtaq
Community Member

The issue has been successfully resolved, and I have received a refund. Thank you, Upwork, for your assistance.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths