🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Elaborate Scam Alert
Page options
1905129a
Community Member

Elaborate Scam Alert

A scammer got me good, but I didn't fall for it 100%. "He" is recruiting for freelancers wanting to work for a real organization in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

The scammer purchased a domain a few days ago, resembling the real website on April 25th, 2024. It was used for emails only - no website was set up!

The scammer asks you to fill out a questionnaire to see if you are a good candidate for the job. Once you send that to their email address and fake website, they respond saying you won the job, congratulations.

They outline in several paragraphs what is needed to process into their Microsoft TEAMS account so you can start working. I was awarded an audio editing position for $80/hour with 20 hours a week guaranteed.

Had I not checked the registrar date for their fake domain name using Godaddy, I would have sent them very personal private info and bank information (to have them "pay" me). I contacted the actual business in New Mexico and let them know they are being used in an elaborate scam and to prepare for others like me that may have fallen for it. They appreciated me letting them know. 
Absolutely never go outside of Upwork for anything because once you do, you're fresh bait.

2 REPLIES 2
PradeepH

Hi Gellert,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and I'm relieved to hear that you did not become a victim of the scam. Your diligence was vital in preventing potential harm.

It's unfortunate that scammers continue to target freelancers with elaborate schemes like this. Your experience serves as a powerful reminder to always exercise caution and skepticism, particularly when encountering opportunities that appear too good to be true.

As you rightly pointed out, it's essential to conduct all transactions and communications within the secure environment of the Upwork platform. Our platform offers various security measures and protections to safeguard both freelancers and clients from potential scams and fraud. You can refer to this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation. 

Thank you for your diligence and for taking the time to share your experience to alert other freelancers. Your efforts are vital in keeping Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace for freelancers. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.

- Pradeep
Upwork
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Keep all communications through Upwork and that will protect you.  Sending the questionnaire to an email is against the Terms of Service and now you see why!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members