🐈
» Forums » Support » Fraudulent Charges
Page options
dominarfilms
Community Member

Fraudulent Charges

Hi, 

I recently noticed several large charges to my checking account from Upwork. I believe these are fraudulent charges because I have never linked a payment account to my profile nor have I hired anyone via Upwork in the past. I will be cancelling my debit card but is there anything that can be done on Upwork's side?

Thank you!

Katie

43 REPLIES 43
PradeepH

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the charges on your card. I have forwarded your report to the relevant team and one of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

I also had a fraudulent charge this morning for $309. It didnt go through as I didn't have that much on my debit card. I just made this account to post this. I have never given you guys my card number or had an account. Please fix this.

Hi Bonnie,

I'm sorry to hear about this expected charge on your account. I certainly understand how alarming this situation is for you. I'll have one of our team members review this charge and investigate further the account in question. Could you please reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with more details about the charge in question? Like your account or reference number for the transaction so that we can review and assist you accordingly. If you can provide screenshots of the charge that would be extremely helpful. Looking forward to your response.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Pradeep, I am also facing the same issue for being charged over $1000 on my card from upwork. I just made my profile now to be able to contact you and I have never even heard of this website before. Would highly appreciate if someone can get in touch with me.

Hi Elena,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
joanlouiseolsen
Community Member

I am in the same boat - I had a charge of over $900 posted to my Visa this morning. Please fix this. Thank you. 

Hi Joan,

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening! I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
9b413b8a
Community Member

I've had the same issue.  3 unauthorized transactions totaling more than 1k.  I believe your system has been compromised.

Hi Jim,

I have forwarded your report to the relevant team and one of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
f4329f1f
Community Member

Hi,

There are multiple upwork charges of over 1000 USD in my checking account on 27th May 2022. I believe there fraudulent charges as I have no association with upwork. Can you please resolve this as soon as possible or else I have to dispute these charges.

thanks

sparsh

f4329f1f
Community Member

Hi,

There are multiple upwork charges of over 1000 USD in my checking account on 27th May 2022. I believe there fraudulent charges as I have no association with upwork. Can you please resolve this as soon as possible or else I have to dispute these charges.

thanks

sparsh

Hi Sparsh,

Thank you for reaching us. I am sorry to hear about the charges on your checking account. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly to assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

thanks for your reply. Please contact me on my cell number provided by me to create the profile asap.

regards

sparsh

Hi Sparsh,

Thank you for your message. I see that one of our team members has already reached you via a support ticket here. You can view and respond to the support ticket from your registered email address as well.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
cb4bf374
Community Member

I am dealing with the same problem, had never used upwork or related platforms, but saw a $200 charge to my checking account yesterday. Please help, thanks

283aca58
Community Member

Hi,

I've just seen two unathorised transactions from upwork on our bank statement and have not used upwork for over a year.

Please escalate this issue as a priority and contact me back as soon as possible.

Thanks

re: "I've just seen two unathorised transactions from upwork on our bank statement and have not used upwork for over a year. Please escalate this issue as a priority and contact me back as soon as possible."

Did you check to see if you have any open contracts?

For example, you hired a freelancer a year ago, and the freelancer did not log any time during the past year, but suddenly logged time during the past couple of weeks.

If I saw surprise transactions on my credit card, the first thing I would do would be to check my Jobs and Contracts.

Yes, I have. A job was posted but no one was assigned to the job.

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Do you have a reference number for the transaction? Could you also please provide the date of the transaction so we can check this for you?

~ AJ
Upwork
4751a037
Community Member

I just made an account to post , but I received a fradulent charge of 576.80 to my credit card from this company. I have never heard of upwork and I need this removed from my card. Thank you.

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the fraudulent charge on your card. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further. You can also view and respond to the support ticket from the registered email address on your Upwork account.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
ea4a1e62
Community Member

I too just received a fraudulent charge to my debit card. I've never even heard of this site and had to create an account just to reply. Charge is dated today 8/26/22 for $474.02 US. It's already been reported to my bank.

Upwork- 507285683ref 

Hi Michael,

We truly appreciate you reaching out and reporting this incident. I have escalated your report to the appropriate team and one of the members will be in touch via email once it's been reviewed. Please don't hesitate to communicate with the team so that they can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
293ace22
Community Member

Hi, I also just received a fraudulent charge to my credit card. I have never used or heard of this company/website and created this new account to raise this fraudulent charge to your attention to remediate ASAP.

The charge is dated today 8/29/22 for $3,465 USD.

Upwork- 507794939REF 

Hi Najaf,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
laalaoui_imad
Community Member

Hello,

I've just been charged 1057.5 USD now from my credit card by upwork where I didn't have any activity on my account since years which means nothing has been initiated from my side, the bank informed me that there was a tentative on 15th August for same but didn't succeed due to low balance, but now I got deducted this big amount.

Please support to get back this money ASAP 

Thanks

009362ae
Community Member

Hi,

Same issue here. I have never heard of Upwork before and got fraudulently charged 8653.8 HKD from my card on 11/10 Hong Kong time. I could not find your email on the website, so I just signed up to post my issue here. The case has been reported to bank. 

Hi Tang,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
b0d6c41e
Community Member

Hi, 

I am having the same issue. I was charged $295.38 by Upwork. I have never had an Upwork account before, so I have no idea why I was charged this. I just signed up so I could post about it here. Please contact me to resolve this issue. Thanks. 

Hi Greg,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
8627989e
Community Member

Hi there

I just registered an account for the sole purpose of posting this for the Admin's attention.

I have been charged EUR880.50 (around HK$6944.99) on around 3-4 October 2022 last month although I have not applied for any services.  I believe this is a fraudulent charge because I have never linked a payment account, credit card, or hired anyone via Upwork.  I have cancelled my credit card but please can Upwork liaise with my credit card service provider and resolve the matter ASAP?  

Jacky

Hi J L, 

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the unauthorized charges. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
26110e53
Community Member

Hello,

I create this account solely just to report this.

I've been charged for USD787.5 (HKD 6,179.23) last night 14 Nov 00:57 HKT.
Upwork -530763995REF Dublin IRL.

I never made an account in upwork, neither knowing about your company & the service.
I have called my bank n they verify this transaction not even generating OTP.
How could you even let any transactions happend without OTP, and reading from this thread, it seems this issue keep happening since long time ago and it still happening.

Please take action ASAP and resolve this matter.

Thanks

Hi Lelita,

I'm really sorry to hear about this unauthorized charge on your account and we appreciate you reporting this here. I have shared your report with the appropriate team for further review. They will surely look into your concern and one of the members will be reaching out via email to further assist you. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
3ccad968
Community Member

Hi,

I am in the same boat, I have not heard of Upwork until yesterday when I checked my bank account and realized I have been charged last week on my credit card. This is a fraudulant transaction as this was not actioned by me and I had only now created an account here to bring this up and get this transaction cancelled.

This is the reference on the transaction and the date

Upwork -531312942Ref Dublin IeTransaction amountTransaction dateWed 16 Nov 2022Processed on Fri 18 Nov 2022

I have reported this to the bank and cancelled the credit card, please can you get in touch to resolve this asap. 

Thank you

Hi Shanna,

I'm really sorry to learn about this unauthorized charge on your account. I've immediately shared your report with the appropriate team. They will surely review your case and assist you accordingly. Kindly expect an email from the team with more details and don't hesitate to coordinate if you have questions or need further assistance. 

We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
3ccad968
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Just confirming I will receive an email on the email address thats linked to this account? 

Thanks

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shanna, 

I'm sorry for the confusion. The team will not be reaching out, but I'll be happy you update you here. Please know that the team has taken action against the user's account who had placed the charges on your account. Please get in touch with your bank to dispute the charges so they can be returned to you as quickly as possible.

~ Avery
Upwork
2b4b864b
Community Member

I have fraudulent charges on my account. **Edited for Community Guidelines** never did any work for me.  I did not like his work product. He has charged hundreds of dollars through Upwork. Please have someone contact me. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths