🐈
» Forums » Support » I got chargeback request
Page options
510ed95d
Community Member

I got chargeback request

Hello everyone,

I am extremely disappointed in Upwork. I have been using the platform for approximately 7-9 months, and I have completed solid work for most of my clients. I am a Python developer, specializing in web scraping. Recently, I worked with a client named **Edited for Community Guidelines**from Israel. He offered me a $20.00/hour contract for a project, which I accepted. I worked for 9 hours and 40 minutes, but due to a delay, I told him I wouldn't record the rest of the hours. I informed him of the delay and my unavailability to work during that period. Despite the project being challenging, I managed to complete the web scraping based on his requirements.

I messaged him multiple times after sharing the data file, but he didn't respond. I then asked if I should end the contract, but he still didn't reply. After three days, I ended the contract. However, 12 days later, I received a chargeback notification, and the client was refunded the balance of $193.33.

Where can I find freelancer protection on Upwork? Upwork keeps a record of my work by taking screenshots and still without my knowledge, they refunded the money. That's amazing.

Creating a client account, verifying payment, posting a job, completing the task and then asking for a refund is an unethical tactic on Upwork. Win-win.

After receiving the email, I replied to Upwork, but nobody responded to my case. I am frustrated with Upwork. I am sad because $198 is not a joke to me.

I received another chargeback during my first days on Upwork. The client requested a refund two months after the project was completed, and the chargeback was successful. However, no action was taken against the client's account.

Thanks upwork.

Job still open -**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
LuiggiR

Hi Sujit,

This is a difficult situation and I understand your frustration. Some reversals (chargebacks) are a result of the client contacting their bank and asking them to reverse the payment.

In these cases, we look to our Terms of Service (TOS) for guidance and follow it by taking two steps:

1. We seek reimbursement from freelancers/agencies in cases where their client makes a payment, asks their bank to reverse it, and the bank does. (see more detail in sections 6.3-6.5 in our TOS).
2. We review the client’s Upwork account because reversing a payment, in most cases, is against our TOS and can result in us permanently suspending their Upwork account.

Aside from these steps, the Upwork team also helps the freelancer or agency challenge the reversal.

Our team can submit a rebuttal to the client’s bank on the freelancer’s behalf if they provide proof of the work or deliverables. I understand that you responded to the team shortly after being notified. Please also provide the requested proof within 48 hours of being notified of the reversal if you’d like us to proceed. Keep in mind that it can take the bank up to 90 days to review and provide their final decision. The client’s bank will have the final say regarding the rebuttal and we have no control over the outcome.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
510ed95d
Community Member

That was a nice typical reply. So, if I create an account and be a client then hire a freelancer, and let them do some work for me. I will ask for a refund from the bank wow. Client accounts are still active without any issues. What a successful business.

Could you please let me know which documents I need to share? It's been three days since I submitted my ticket, and I haven't received any response yet. Can you tell me what's going on?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths