🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
30e5ca4f
Community Member

Identity Verification

Gov. ID was not approved, and yet it worked on a different page.

Everything shows. It´s not a pristine picture, but everything´s perfectly legible. Not sure how I could take a better picture..

Is there a place I can send it for a personal verification ? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ahmad,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

- Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

2,197 REPLIES 2,197

Hi Abimbola,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced while verifying your account. After reviewing your account, it seems that your previous submission was rejected because the image of your ID card was not acceptable. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot or photo copy of your ID card. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
1ddf4831
Community Member

Hi, I already complete my Identity Verification requirements. How long will I wait? So I can apply more jobs now. Thank you! 

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for your message. I checked and can confirm that the documents were uploaded just a few hours ago. Please allow 1-3 business days for the team to review and update your account. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
f55ba9bc
Community Member

I just brought two of my clients to Upwork, got paid by one of them ($85), the payment was still under process and suddenly the account got suspended. I wasn't even notified on mail or anything. The second client also sent me the invite but I couldn't accept it as the 'accept offer' button was greyed out and I couldn't connect. 

The first payment has been deducted from client's escrow account and just before I receive it, Upwork has suspended my account for I don't even know why? I have provided all the documents as they asked and completed the verification so that should not be the cause. I am really really frustrated after having so many hours at that work and then my money being withheld like this. If the $85 hasn't been reversed in the client account, and I haven't received that too then the question is where is it gone? 

The key to everything must be here "I just brought two of my clients to Upwork".

This needs some unpacking. 

- What does "brought them" mean? and for what intention? 

- How much time did the contract you opened last? 1 day ? 2 hours? 2 weeks?

- What was the scope of the work?

It all needs to make sense for it to be legit 🙂 

Hi Devanshu,

I am sorry to hear about the action taken on your account. I checked your account and it appears that you need to verify your account before you apply for new jobs. I see that you have already uploaded the documents for verification. Please allow 1-3 business days for the team to review and update your account. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
c60771cb
Community Member

Good day, I'm trying to get verified automatically using my valid NBI Clearance but its keep failing. Is NBI Clearance still acceptable in validating my account? It is currently in a manual review after few failures in verification.

Hi Aldren,

I'm sorry that you were having trouble with the verification process. Upon checking with the relevant team, I can confirm that your account has been successfully verified. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
4352ea83
Community Member

Hello! I need help with my verification. At the time I carried out the process I had a pending job and now I cannot complete it because when I try to upload the files it tells me "error". Is this because my account has not yet had verification confirmation? If so, how many days does it take?

You need to verify your profile by going in to profile settings.

Regards,

Chintan,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Melisa, I think you have to optimize your profile in the English language if you want to work from all countries.

because not everyone is familiar with your language,but English is compulsory if you want work on any online platform.

Hi Melissa,

I'm sorry that you were having trouble with the verification process. Upon checking with the relevant team, I can confirm that your account has been successfully verified. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regarding the deliverable you were trying to submit, could you try that again now? If the problem persists, try clearing your browser cache and cookies. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
7f4570ab
Community Member

What is my identity like now? Waiting for approval or error. Help me

Hi Le Phuoc Ngoc Nhi,

I see that part of your submission is being manually reviewed by the relevant team. It can take 1-3 for their review to be completed; you can rest assured they'll contact you directly if more information is needed. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
7f4570ab
Community Member

It's been so long but I haven't received any response

8426c9d7
Community Member

My country and ID card has been verified now the 3 option show but I am not able to see the button for the next process verification that upwork demandsCapture.PNG,
Please guide me regarding this,
Thank you 

Hi Maryam,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8426c9d7
Community Member

Thank you, LuiggiR

c7ed6962
Community Member

I completed my Identity Verification over 12 hours ago.  The Support Chatbot tells me 20 to 30 minutes.  Possible upto 1-2 hours or more.

Am I able to work without receiving notification of successful identity verification?  I have 2 contracts on the table.  Lost 1 today over this.

What can I do?

Hi Albert,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c6c75988
Community Member

I've changed my payment method more than 3 days ago, but I don't receive an email from upwork for the next step to get my profile verified, can someone help me with that please?

Hi Ruthnie,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. We understand you want to get verified as soon as possible. However, I looked closely at your account and confirmed that it doesn't need to be verified just yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. 

You may want to visit this help article to familiarize yourself with how the process works.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f7fd679d
Community Member

Hello, Hope you're all doing well, I'm trying to verify my account. I've already taken a photo of my ID, and now it asks for my passport. I'm taking a photo of it, but it keeps telling me that it can't recognize it. Even though it's literally a photo of my passport in a good quality. I got so frustrating because of how much times I've tried.

Hi Ahmed,

We've checked with our verification team and they have confirmed that one of our team members reached out to you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
chubbyd123
Community Member

so basically i have tried verifying my id, i took the picture as the instruction said , black background , corners shown, i don't know why the ai bot cannot accept it and it needs to be manually reviewed , when it gets manually reviewed they tell me to verify again , 
i understand that upwork tells the freelancer to verify up to two times or 3 to make sure he is the person with the id
and i do understand that there is certain translators who will review my id and see if it's accurate , but i think the mistake is here 
my name in my ID Card is **Edited for Community Guidelines** if you convert it to english it will be Mohamed Ali Ben Hadj Hamed
while i wrote my name Mohamed Ali Belhadj Hamed since it's easier, shorterand thats how any tunisian reads it and converts it, so please look forward for my issue, i would like to also get a virtual video call to be reviewed manually
much love and respect for all upwork support team you guys are doing a good job, i hope you guys solve this issue as soon as possible ❤️

Hi Mohamed Ali,

I reached out directly to the team handling the review and they confirmed that the issue has been cleared. Your account is now active so you can proceed with submitting proposals to potential clients as usual. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

i really appreciate it so much , i also have another issue , but i will it again , i tried to link my bank account but that was before i change my old nickname to my original name and last name , i linked my bank account with my upwork account , so basically upwork bot will not confirm my bank account , i have some features that are not working due to that issue , i didn't try again the withdraw method until now i am verfied 
please keep an eye on my account ! 

Thanks for letting us know, Mohamed. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

great work team ! thanks for the effort

05c03a68
Community Member

I am having trouble with the identity verification process despite providing my passport and other documents. Can we explore alternative verification methods to resolve this issue? Thank you for your understanding and assistance in this matter.

Can we explore alternative verification methods such as biometrics, OTP, video verification, or any other direct checking methods to successfully verify my identity?

Hi Engedasew,

We are here to help you. Are you having trouble continuing the verification process? Could you please share more information about the issue you're having so we can look into it? 

~ Joanne
Upwork
05c03a68
Community Member

Hey JoanneP
thanks, for your respons
I have provided government-issued passport, but asked again and agin. its status is pending. I can forward my passport. please take a look attached jpg.
05c03a68_0-1715006661655.png

05c03a68_3-1715007209714.png

05c03a68
Community Member

Hey JoanneP
I hope you are doing well.
The problem still continued, even I can’t apply new jobs. please take a look the picture.

05c03a68_0-1715067198145.png

Hi Engedasew, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like you need to verify your identity to continue winning jobs on Upwork. You can get started on this page

~ Nikola
Upwork
05c03a68
Community Member

Hey Nikola,
I have tried for an hour, but I can't verify. Unable to messaging with someone who order a task. If you can send me your job mail address I will forward my passport.

Hi Engedasew,

I'm sorry you've been having trouble verifying your identity. Could you please share a screenshot of the error you see when you try it? You can always try clearing your browser cache and cookies and see if the problem persists.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f1fb38c2
Community Member

From the posts on https://community.upwork.com/t5/Support-Forum/Identity-Verification/m-p/1538922 There seem to be a lot of identity verification problems. I'm also having one identical to https://community.upwork.com/t5/Support-Forum/Identity-Verification/m-p/1552697/highlight/true#M1448... So I have a few different questions

1. Considering that the number of people having this issue is non-zero, is there something being done by Upwork to correct this bug or is this something that will continually happen forever?

2. In cases like the one I'm having (and Saira in the post above), why is there no text showing what the issues at hand are? Surely there should be some error text/message that says what the problems are so that we may know why it's not been accepted or what is happening.

3. After many attempts, it looks as though there is no *clear* way of creating a support ticket and the chatbot is not helpful at all (it just keeps asking "what's the issue" even when you ask it how to create a support ticket, never answering your question. Why is there no clear way to create support tickets?

4. As there is no clear way to create a support ticket... can one of the admin create a support ticket for me so that I can verify my identity since the automated system is not working. As mentioned above, I am having the same issue as Saira. I have submitted my government id (passport) twice and both times it "fails" without a message.

5. As a 5th point: In the identity verification, after you submit your government id, there is no way to actually check the photo before it automatically gets submitted. A *very* easy fix from upworks perspective is to just show the image that was just taken so the user can confirm the picture was actually good. Yes, it's more of a hassle from a user's perspective, but this will stop more hassle/problems for you all in the long run. If you need, I am available for work to help you implement such a feature =p

c648251a
Community Member

Hi,

I hope you're well.

I'm having the same problem as a freelancer. Can you please look into the matter? 

I can't change that first name in verification page and it's not in my profile too.

Thanks!

Hi Muhammad,

We can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths