🐈
» Forums » Support » Is it a scam
Page options
d487bdc0
Community Member

Is it a scam

I got an interview and offer from a client named Akademiks for a visualization postion. I see the pay was high comparitively and they send out an agreement to me in which the pay was changed from 50 to 55 dollars. Is this a scam or genuine contract? I did not find these people in Linkedin as well.

10 REPLIES 10
usa0711e
Community Member

Hi Silvy,

My advise is to ensure the clients are payment verified before ever begining any work on an active contract.

I would start with hourly contracts and ensure you use Upworks time tracker to protect payment for time worked. I only do fixed contracts with clients I have a good relationship with and have worked together before.

lama-pema
Community Member

If it is an offer they sent you then it is genuine but you should go to client's profile and check if he has hired people before in the past and has money spent. If you find all the information on their profile, then yep! it is genuine.

My offer is just a pdf, not signed by him. I was told in offer letter that they will send check to buy laptop and headset. I am not sure if it is genuine.

I am in the same situation

contracts are never sent in pdf, the client creates contract via upwork, you get an invitation to accept or reject offer. If you get this on Upwork, then the client is legit!

96acc776
Community Member

Hi,

i got a similar offer, is it legit?

deeptihere
Community Member

I got the similar offer today from **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I am also confused, it is correct or not.

Hi Deepti,

I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

- Pradeep

Upwork
deeptihere
Community Member

I got same offer today, is it genuine.

jk64799
Community Member

I received same today. Its still up. The laptop check was the glaring red flag, and the communication outside upwork. I  am new to this so I didnt know it was fake until I saw the laptop check. best of luck to all!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths