🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS dropped
Page options
m_tariq_shaheen
Community Member

Why did my JSS decrease?

Job success score on Upwork drastically decreased from 100% to 60%

I am worried about my job success score on Upwork. It has drastically decreased from 100% to 60%, even though I have not received any negative reviews or cancellations on my profile. I am putting in my best efforts and maintaining my quality of service. Please review my profile and check if there are any miscalculations.

Recently, I ended two contracts myself because both contracts were completed, but the clients did not end them. I am concerned that this may have affected my job success score. One of the contracts was fixed price, and the other was hourly. Since the latter was inactive for a long time, I ended it and marked it as completed. Both contracts were completed, but the clients did not end them.

Could you please fix this issue and let me know if there is anything else I can do to improve my job success score?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame
~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

I will advice you how to save time: accept it as is and move forward. Upwork wont recalculate your JSS, wont remove feedback and even wont review that. 

And another advice: never disturb clients like you did in chat. Client away - ok, take care about other tasks. Or work with hourly contract where your waiting will be paid.

6eff7cca
Community Member

Hi everyone! I just completed my two first job here with 5 & 4.8 stars, the communications and projects with the clients were good, no problem at all. Recently I found out my first JSS is 50%.

I got an offer of a client, then Upwork block the client due to Terms of Service violations and instantly end the contract. If this case affect my JSS, can anybody help me to fix this since there's nothing to do on my part? According to Upwork, they are putting more emphasis on public feedback. How can I continue in this platform if I'm starting out with this number?

Thanks,
Thea

Last case wont affect your JSS, dont worry. Only accepted contracts with feedbacks will affect. Unacepted\expired\canceled offers wont.

Hi Mykola, I tried to contact Upwork support couple times, but only receive JSS basics template. Have no idea what else I can do regarding this

Thats all. Upwork will never share real calculation or JSS details. Only useless templates. Of course you can found same in ToS yourself. Sorry, but as-is.

c1e2fadd
Community Member

Hi.
Yesterday I noticed that my JSS suddenly dropped from a perfect 100% to 94%.
We have received great reviews from my customers and no jobs have been cancelled.
Can anyone explain why my JSS lowered?
Thank you.

vishipro
Community Member

A couple of days ago, my JSS was at 100%. However, when I checked my profile yesterday, it had dropped to 80%. I am completely puzzled by this sudden change, as I have never received negative feedback from any client. Currently, I have one job in progress. Could someone please explain what might be happening?

Best,

Vishal

wrote: 

A couple of days ago, my JSS was at 100%. However, when I checked my profile yesterday, it had dropped to 80%. I am completely puzzled by this sudden change, as I have never received negative feedback from any client. Currently, I have one job in progress. Could someone please explain what might be happening? 

Best,

Vishal

Your Job Success Score (JSS) on Upwork can drop for several reasons, even if you haven’t received any negative feedback recently. It could be due to private feedback, a good outcome falling out of the calculation window, or inactive contracts. To improve it, focus on completing more jobs with positive outcomes.

aa814e5d
Community Member

In my Contract ID 34479351, I received a 4.6 star rating from the client on April 23. However, by April 29, my Job Success Score (JSS) had dropped from 100% to 87%. I reached out to the client to inquire about the reason for the rating and we discussed the matter. As a result, the client agreed to update the rating to 5 stars on April 30. Despite this update, my JSS has remained at 87% as of May 13. Can someone explain why this is the case?

Hi Saad,

I'm sorry to hear about your score drop. I want to clarify that when you enable clients to change their feedback, they can only update their public one; any private feedback they left on the contract can't be changed.

That said, we won't be able to comment on someone's individual score or how specific contracts affect it. In general, your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
aa814e5d
Community Member

Hi LuiggiR,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe it is from private feedback. As I was a Top Rated Plus freelancer, can I remove this contract score from my JSS calculation? If yes, does it also remove the private score as well?

7f777307
Community Member

Hello everyone,

As a result of my long efforts, I was top rated. I had a technical problem while delivering a job and could not deliver it on time. However, I explained this to my client and he said that there would be no problem anyway. In fact, after he delivered the job, he left me this feedback with 5 stars: "Umut did a good job delivering the data. I would work with him again anytime, thank you."

It all started from here and my JSS dropped to 75 percent and I lost my top rated badge.

I wrote to support today as I was upset and thought that this whole situation was due to my inability to deliver the work on the day. She told me that the reason why my job success score rate decreased was because some clients gave 5 stars and positive comments publicly, but made private evaluations and made negative comments.

I think feedback should be transparent. Yes, I may have less work, but I got 5 stars from all of them and my clients continue to send me work again. Here is my profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01bcd0634176598a84 For me, feedback should be a light for us to improve ourselves as freelancers. Because criticism helps progress.

If these feedbacks are given privately and our account can be affected by them, where is the transparency in this case? And how fair is that?

I'm wondering what you think about this subject. Is there anyone else like me going through this?

I agree, feedback should be transparent. No. Feedback must be transparent.

You have 2 weeks after badge gone to remove feedback with your Toprated perk. If you know for sure which one dropped your JSS.

I spent those 2 weeks because I couldn't guess that the problem was caused by this. Because I thought the problem was entirely the late delivery of the project. However, when I chat with support today, I learned the real reason. Still, I'm waiting for a solution on this issue.

For future: late delivery, broken deadlines, refunds wont affect that (i saw no cases). Only feedbacks.

Your top-rated status seems to be followed by flying nerves, although positive feedback from customers has diminished. Transparency in feedback is really important to processes. It might be helpful to advocate for greater transparency of Upwork's back policy to ensure fairness to freelancers like us.

my job success score rate decreased was because some clients gave 5 stars and positive comments publicly, but made private evaluations and made negative comments.

Exactly what you might expect from gossip columns. Below amateur. 

Certainly not something one would expect from a company that boasts having clients in the Fortune 500.

Every job I have had, even the military, always allowed me to see the evalutations.

Upwork is promoting dishonesty, and two-faced customers: One side of the mouth - 5 Stars.

The other side of the mouth comes belittling, deraragory, malicious gossip. Probably for laughs at their board meetings. 

branding-com-uy
Community Member

Hello,
I had a problem with my agency's JSS. It dropped from 86% to 38%. I know this score is calculated through reviews but I didn't have any new reviews nor clients. Can you provide me with some information about what happened?

Old good reviews gone from calculation window. Current bad reviews increased weight.

Just as option. Noone will tell you truth.

aitx
Community Member

Hello,
My latest job  with the client has changed, he has concluded the contract with negative feedback and rating. The client has agreed to remove the negative feedback and the negative rating. Now he has a better understanding of the time required to finish his project. Also, now he wants to resume the contract. Please revise my JSS since he has been trying to restart the contract he terminated or please advise on how to remove this bad JSS immediately with the same client. Also, please advise how to reopen contract.

LuiggiR

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame
~ Luiggi
Upwork
nishanasir
Community Member

Hi, i have a query regarding my Job success score. So basically i got two bad reviews out ot 50 completed projects and whenever I got a bad review my JSS would instantly fall however a good review is not affecting or improving my jss . please tell me the reason behnd this problem and ow can this be solved.

warrenlilly
Community Member

I, like most of you, freelane across many sites (upwork, Guru, Indeed, etc.). I, my fault, did not realize Upwork had a JSS. I did 3 jobs on Upwork and clients did or did not leave a rating. About two months ago I realized I was not winning bids on Upwork, that's when I found my JSS. I contacted previous clients and explained how Upwork rates freelancers and, to the one, each gave me a 5.0. Yet today, following a recalculation of the JSS on 5/22/24, myJSS is still 75%!

I'm frustrated and uncertain how to proceed. My resume shows all the sites I work from and I expect potential clients to "check me out". I don't want to dump and expunge Upwork from my work sites, I want my job success accurately reflected.

Has anyone found a real, workable solution to this problem? Upwork claims the JSS does not rate the freelancer just his success at freelancing, that's nuts! If your JSS drops below 90% you're most likely done on Upwork.

Keep collect more good feedbacks.

Client also able to leave private feedbacks. Look like you received an 7\10. Be sure that client will give not so good private feedback after you asking for good feedback.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members