🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Job not as described and not comfortable ...
Page options
b364fc26
Community Member

Job not as described and not comfortable with what is asked.

Hello,

I'm new to Upwork and just sent a Proposal for a "Simple task for Netherlands resident" job (Screenshot Job). The description is a little vague, but I understood that they want you to download an app and verify if it is working, I also expected to give a little feedback on it. But when this client approached me, he said that they are looking to hire a Virtual Assistant from the Netherlands and all I have to do is download the app and verify my ID.

When I asked what he means by verifying my ID, he sends me a screenshot of somebody elses passport, which for me is something I cannot comprehend, as I'm super carefull with other people's personal information/documentation (I'm a secretary and GDPR is something I take very serious). This also tells me that he would do the same with MY personal information, so I'm wondering if the client is violating the GDPR by sending this passport screenshot to me.

It is safe to say I don't feel comfortable doing this assignment, but when I withdraw my proposal it affects my Upwork Profile.

(which in some situations I can understand, but in this case I think it shouldn't).

Is there something I can do so that I don't do the job and it doesn't affect my Upwork Profile?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind Regards,

Cindy

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PradeepH

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for taking the time to report this. Apologies for the delay in responding to this post. I have checked the job you are referring to and will be forwarding it to the relevant team to investigate this further. I will not be able to share the details of the investigations with you. In the future, feel free to use the "Flag as Inappropriate" option throughout the site to report any suspicious activity. I would like to clarify that withdrawing proposals do not affect your profiles in any way.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
3b1079a6
Community Member

Hi, you can just end the contract and it won't negatively impact your profile. These jobs are most likely scams, and you can mark them as such.

Hi Sara, 

Thank you so much for your answer. He didn't give me a contract yet, he only approached me through Messages. So as long as I don't have a contact and I have not accepted it, I can just leave it as is?

Thanks! 

Hi, you have the option to withdraw the proposal, and then you can put the
reason why you did that.
It happened to me as well when I first started.

To help the community, its better to mark the messages for review and the job post as "illegal or unethical" category.

Unless you get into a contract, theres nothing to worry about. Even if you sent a proposal they cant automatically hire you, you'd receive something called "an offer" and you'd have to accept it before it becomes a contract

PradeepH

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for taking the time to report this. Apologies for the delay in responding to this post. I have checked the job you are referring to and will be forwarding it to the relevant team to investigate this further. I will not be able to share the details of the investigations with you. In the future, feel free to use the "Flag as Inappropriate" option throughout the site to report any suspicious activity. I would like to clarify that withdrawing proposals do not affect your profiles in any way.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

Sorry for my late reply, I didn't notise there was a new comment on my post. In the end the assignment got even more weird and in further conversation I didn't need to show them my passport, but they did want me to send a proposal for another job on Upwork.

I didn't engage in any more conversation and therewith the matter is done for me. I will "Flag as Inappropriate" in the future thanks for the tip!

Kind Regards,

Cindy

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths