🐈 Community
» Forums » Support » Missing payments (Upwork taking 30% rather th...
Page options
sfscubarob
Community Member

Missing payments (Upwork taking 30% rather than 20% with no explanation)

Hello,
I've been actively using Upwork for about a year and am very happy that I recently surpassed the $10k earnings mark to get into the top 10%. Yay!

But I recently found that in the time since, while Upwork says that it takes 20% in fees, my payments are instead missing 30%.

I noticed the numbers seemed off last week (for work 2 weeks ago), but as my earnings from last week's work were $1,002 (an easy number to do the math on), it was extremely apparent in my latest payment that more than 20% was missing.

I received an email saying that I'd earned $1,002 last week. My pending earnings page then said I had around $800 in pending earnings - 20% so everything adds up.

But when my payments were actually made available last night, it suddenly shifted to $705 (from which another $2 was taken to transfer the money).

This never happened before when I did $25, $50, or even $150 contracts. Why am I suddenly missing 30% of my earnings instead of the 20%?

And why isn't there any additional line item explaining why that extra 10% is suddenly missing between pending and paid earnings?
4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

The fee is 20% of the first $500 you earn with each client; 10% of earnings from $501 to $10,000 with that client; 5% of earnings above $10k with that client. (With Enterprise clients, the fee is 10% from the start and no matter how much you earn with a given one.)

So once you get above $500 with a single client there's an additional 10% added on anything else up to $10k?

No. 

Fees you pay on earnings from Client A:

$1 - $500 = 20%

$501 - $10,000 = 10%

$10,001 and up = 5%

Let's say your first project with Client A pays $300. UW gets 20% of it and you net $240 (before any bank or transaction fees, VAT, etc.). Your second project with Client A also pays $300. UW gets 20% of $200 and 10% of $100 (because you hit the $500 threshold), and you net $250. Your third project with Client A pays $300. You are now in the $501-10k bracket with that client, so UW gets 10% of it and you net $270. That continues until you hit $10k with Client A, at which point UW's fee on your earnings from that client is reduced to 5% in perpetuity.

m_terrazas
Community Member

It's fine to ask, but have you even bothered to look at the help before you came here?
I don't understand how it is possible to get to work through any portal without knowing, among other things, how payments work.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths