🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: This number is being used by another acco...
Page options
thanh_tung
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

Hello, Upwork

I too am having trouble verifying my number. When I get my money to my local bank, I can not get code verifying to my phone or my E-mail, I tried it in 2 days and it is the same problem. Would you be able to have a team member reach out to me as well? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Leonardo,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach out directly to our support team so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. 

How do I reach a human in customer support?

1. Select Get Support at the bottom of the Help Center page
  2. Type a question or topic and select "Send." The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support"
  4. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

899 REPLIES 899
675d990c
Community Member

Its says my phone number is already in use. Can someone help me?

Hi Andre,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
0f5ad374
Community Member

It says phone number already in use... I previously had another account that I forgot about, but it's been deleted. I'm still getting the same error. Please help.

Hi Jess,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
80a3d521
Community Member

Hello I would like to know how to link my phone to this account, it says that my phone is being used and I dont know how to unlock it to pair it to this account. Please help. I will be attaching the error that Im getting, thank you.

Hi Ramon,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ffe21876
Community Member

I think I opened an account a while back under my cell phone number and a yahoo email address.  My yahoo address was recently merged with my gmail account.  Now, even when it lets me log in under the old yahoo address, it forces me to my incomplete second profile under the gmail address.  I never used Upwork with the original account under the yahoo email address.  Now, I need someone to delete the old account or free up my phone number so I can verify my new profile.  I don't know how to contct anyone with upwork to clear up this simple issue.  I need to get work asap.  I am caring daily for a family member going through cancer treatment and I need income.  Thanks for any help available!  

Hi Jake,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
8e8c638d
Community Member

I don't recall uising my phone number, but I got the message saying This number is being used by another account, please help to get this resolved.

Thanks

Hi Julia,

One of our support team members will reach out to you shortly and assist you with your phone verification. Thanks for your patience!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks!

a911b996
Community Member

Hello all, 

I'm in need of some help, I can't finalize creating my account because I get an error message that reads "This number is being used by another account". I might have use this phone number in the past to setup an account but never used it and don't have access to the account. I already submitted a support ticket to request the older link to be remove but the response from the customer representative was not useful or helpful at all:

"Thank you for getting back to me. If you used the phone number in the past with another account, this explains why you're getting the error that you're number is in use, thus, you'll have to use another phone number to link to your own account.
I understand that this is not the ideal resolution you were hoping for, however, we do have system limitations we’re not able to override as well as policies and department procedures that we must adhere to."

Is there anyway this could be fixed or escalated? I would love to use the platform. 

Thanks, 
Leonardo

a911b996_2-1676741823542.png

Hi Leonardo,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach out directly to our support team so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. 

How do I reach a human in customer support?

1. Select Get Support at the bottom of the Help Center page
  2. Type a question or topic and select "Send." The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support"
  4. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a911b996
Community Member

Thank you, will check it out! 

0b660995
Community Member

Hi! 

I'm having the same issue as well. I do not see a "get support" option at the bottom of the help center page. Is there some other way I can get help?

Thank you

Hi Bethany,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will reach out and assist you further with verifying your phone number. You may access your ticket on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7e845330
Community Member

I am having the same issue. I have verified my phone number but when reviewing the account prior to proceeding I get a message that says to enter a valid phone number. This is after I have verified my using 2FA and completed the verification process. I am unable to complete my profile due to this issue. 

Hi Matt,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
f2601b8e
Community Member

Hi, same issue here where number is verified already but I've not used it yet. 

Hi Angel,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while adding your phone number. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
edc3085b
Community Member

Hi Arjay, I'm having the same issue and am finding it impossible to get help. I've read the instructions on how to start a ticket but that doesn't work either. Can you help please? Thank you! 

881d05fe
Community Member

I am having a similar problem, but i have my number attached to my account but when i apply for a job it says i still need one, when i put my number in it says that it is used by someone else, it is very confusing and i would be happy to receive help on it.

Hi Jonathyn,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this. However, I can see that you were able to submit proposals to several potential clients. Let us know if you're still experiencing this issue and share a screenshot of what you can see from your end and we'll look further into that for you.

Additionally, as a freelancer your profile picture has to accurately represent who you are, it obviously shouldn't be a photo of a place, a design or object, or someone or something else (also, misrepresenting who you are, goes against our Terms of Service.) You may check this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
99b3ba11
Community Member

I don't see a "contact support" button. It just points me to Upwork academy. 

Hi Alison,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
f0b7bfae
Community Member

I also cannot verify my phone number, but going to the help center page has no option to contact, email, or call someone that I can find. I might not be looking in the right place, but I genuinely cannot figure out how to contact the support team or make a ticket, I keep getting redirected to useless links.

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry you're having trouble verifying your phone number and contacting our support team. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f0b7bfae
Community Member

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you.

eb295a44
Community Member

Hi Upworks,

I am having this same issue and can not get ahold of support via the chat bot.  All it does it redirect me to the Academy and this community forum no matter how many times I prompt it.  I can not complete setting up my profile until I can get this resolved.

- McKinley

4e760bb2
Community Member

I am also having this same issue and can't seem to find the "Contact Support" area you are describing. Can someone please help me? Thanks!

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry you're also having trouble with this and contacting support. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2c3ac030
Community Member

This is not helpful. The support bot is useless. I cannot complete my profile because "This number is being used by another account" - I had an old account many years ago, but everything has changed except my phone number. I have no way of accessing that account and I cannot get in touch with anyone to solve this

Hi Raven,

I'm sorry you're having trouble contacting support about this. I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Community Member

I have tried this and the support is not recognizing anything that I am saying. My phone number is saying it is already in use so I cannot verify. 

Hi Julie,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
bdd95bfe
Community Member

Hey good afternoon. I'm having the same problem and I have no idea how to contact a support agent. This has been giving me a headache for hours. Can you help?

Hi Julian,

I'm sorry you're having trouble contacting support about this issue. I've immediately converted your post into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5ef96952
Community Member

Hello! I'm also having a similar issue, where I am not getting any text messages to verify my number. I'm also unable to submit a support ticket. 

2371adae
Community Member

Hi! 

I created an account a few years ago under an old email address.  I'm trying to create a new account under a different email address, but when I get to the last page of creating the profile where it asks to add your phone number, I get the message that my phone number is already being used on a different account.

Ok, so I closed the old account account, but I still can't add my phone number to the new account.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ann,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please be reminded that users are only allowed to have one account. Having multiple accounts is a serious violation of Upwork's TOS. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets and coordinate with the team here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths