🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Not getting verification text
Page options
thanh_tung
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

Hello, Upwork

I too am having trouble verifying my number. When I get my money to my local bank, I can not get code verifying to my phone or my E-mail, I tried it in 2 days and it is the same problem. Would you be able to have a team member reach out to me as well? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Leonardo,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach out directly to our support team so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. 

How do I reach a human in customer support?

1. Select Get Support at the bottom of the Help Center page
  2. Type a question or topic and select "Send." The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support"
  4. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

899 REPLIES 899
Community Member

I just created my profile and I got "This number is being used by another account"

Hi Hashim,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
Community Member

Hi Andrea;

Thanks for your quick feedback, I clicked on the link you shared for my support ticket but I can't find any tickets , is there another way to check it ?

Regards

Hashim

Hi Hashim,

You should be able to see the ticket there once it is created.

~Andrea
Upwork
roryturner19
Community Member

I made a Upworks account years ago, but never used it. I just went to make a new account and when I go to enter my number it says this number is already being used. Help please?

Hi Rory,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea G,

can you help me raise a ticket for support? It's been years since I used my Upwork profile for work. I am in the process to update my profile, but not able to submit any proposal due to Phone number verification is not going through, saying it is in use.  Thank you so much for your help and support. 

Best regards

Md Amzad

Hi Md,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
asmalott
Community Member

I just created my account but my number verification is failing saying the number is in use with another account. I've never used upwork before. Can someone. Please help.

Amiee Malott

Hi Amiee,

Please make sure that you typed the right phone number. Have you only had your number for a few years or less?

You will need to contact Support if your number is correct. Have a great day!

fe206426
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to finish registering but I am not receiving the text message to verify my account. 

Hi Alleigh,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bb5511b7
Community Member

Whenever I type in my number to apply for jobs, it says it is already in use. It is not. I need someone from customer service to assist me. Thank you.

Hello Grace,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f1185097
Community Member

I cannot verify the code for my phone, please could i have some assistance

Hi Ella,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
7b0643d8
Community Member

I am unable to verify my phone because it says my number is already in use. I created an acccount as a client by accident and added and additional freelancer account but the freelancer account is not able to apply to any jobs until my phone has been verified. How do I get in contact with someone who can help me with this issue?

Hi Thoki,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets and coordinate with the team here to resolve the issue. Please allow our team time to review your case and your ticket will be available on that page once done.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7b0643d8
Community Member

Thank you, Arjay

a43d8449
Community Member

my number verification is failing as it seems to say the number is in use in a different location. Can someone help me please?

Hi Steve,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets and coordinate with the team here once your case is fully reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
4cbfb5c9
Community Member

Hello! I am trying to apply for some jobs, but am unable to. I click on the job posting and click apply now. Then, it brings me to a a page that says "Verify your phone number. After I enter my number, and hit the "text me" button, this message pops up: "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

Hi Vishnu,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets and coordinate with the team here once your case is fully reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a73b818d
Community Member

I'm trying to complete my profile but am met with a message that says "This number is being used by another account" when I attempt to enter my phone number. I don't recall making any previous accounts with Upwork using that phone number, and if I did my apologies for the hassle, but I could use a hand getting this to accept my phone number.

Hi Chris,

~Andrea
Upwork
ac0ee346
Community Member

I am trying to apply for jobs, but when I do it says that my phone number is already in use. Please help 

Hi Selena,

~Andrea
Upwork
9bd1a410
Community Member

Hi it says my phone number is used on another account but I dont recall making an account using my number. I am trying to complete my freelance sign up profile. Please help. This is the message I am getting: 
"Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support"

Hi David,

~ AJ
Upwork
9888dfef
Community Member

Hello, 

I'm in the process of creating a new Upwork profile; however, I'm unable to complete a full profile because the phone number is linked to the first profile I made years ago. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to that email and cannot remember the password to access my original profile. 

Would I be able to have someone assist me so that I can have that first account deleted/removed? Just trying to create a new profile and have the phone number moved over. Thank you for your help!

Nicole H

Someone will help you, but to reinstate your original account. Creating another account is a violation of Terms of Service.

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I want to reiterate Sophie's response that users are only allowed to have one account and having multiple ones is a serious violation of Upwork's ToS. Don't worry! We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you via a support ticket that you can access on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
9822bd66
Community Member

I started making a new Upwork account and to finish setting up my account and start applying for commisions i have to put in my cell phone number but its telling me its already registered? could anyone please tell me how i can recover it?

You are not allowed to create a new freelancer account. This is a violation of Upwork's Terms of service. You need to ask to recover your previous account.

Hello Patrick,

As Sophie mentioned, if you already have an account and just created a new one, note having multiple accounts isn't allowed and is considered a serious violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
3090c6d3
Community Member

It keeps telling me that the number is in use but this is my only profile. My other profile that i found has been closed. this is my only phone number, please help

You are not allowed to create a new account if you already had one. A closed account counts as one account and now you have 2. You need to contact support to have your original account reopen and to close this one. Do not use this second account as all your activities will be deleted.

Hi Tatyana,

Sophie's correct! Users are only allowed to have one account and having multiple ones is a serious violation of Upwork's TOS. I took the liberty of escalating your concern directly to our Support Team for further review. We suggest you coordinate with the team through this support ticket and they will surely assist you accordingly on how to proceed with your account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
986183cd
Community Member

Hello - I am also experiencing an issue like this. It states my phone number is already in use and I cannot complete my profile. I suspect an account I created while at a company might have caused this, but I no longer have access to that account to remove it in use.

Hi Kyna,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths