🐈
» Forums » Support » This number is being used by another account
Page options
c96f18ce
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489
443c0fe8
Community Member

Hi there,

I must've used my personal number for another account I had previously or something. I would like to verify it for my new account. I tried to go to the support page but I'm forced to talk to the chatbot. The chatbot tells me to reachout to support without providing me with an email address or anything like that. I have no choice but to reach out to the community to see if anyone can help me resolve this issue 😞

I hope this message is read by the author😉

which message?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Peter,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0333902a
Community Member

Trying to create my account and it says "This number is being used by another account" when I am trying to verfiy myself.   I don't remember if I created account on here before.  

Hi Jason,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
0333902a
Community Member

Thank you

b0a44024
Community Member

I would like to know how to fix this issue. 

I have my phone number attached to my account. Everything seems to be fine, yet when I apply for a job, I get prompted with the message. 

"Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support." 

Can someone please help me with this issue. Where do I start? Do I need to make a brand new account?  Who do I reach out to? 

Hi Filip,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
147d858c
Community Member

I'm having the issue with my phone number too, which could be my fault, but I cannot find the support line.

Hi Drew,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
a02a093b
Community Member

Hi Upwork,

I need to update my phone number at Upwork to start getting Freelance work. But I am getting error while updating the number. I request yout to resolve my issue and please update my number.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Zeal,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
b33a96fc
Community Member

Hi I have a same issue of mobile being used.
I wish to open a job posting under "client" option but mobile is already used on "freelance" option.
Please share how to get help - understand from earlier thread to seek support help option but can't seem to locate the actual link to open a ticket.

Hi Glenn,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
srinyvenky
Community Member

Hi, I had created my upwork account a while ago. I logged in and when I try to apply for a job it fails the phone verification stating,

'Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.'

I do not have any other account.

Please help me here.

Thanks

Hi Srinivasan,

I'm sorry you are having trouble verifying your phone number. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d42cf119
Community Member

I'm having the same issue.  Can someone from support please contact me?

Seems like it shouldnt be this difficulut to get in touch with someone.  

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Andy,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance..

~ Arjay
Upwork
16f2f7b4
Community Member

I am trying to verify my phone number, but no SMS received.

the phone number was correct and no issue with the phone

tried different browser without any success

Hi Musab,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
787b6972
Community Member

Hi, there, I just need to speak to a human being so that I can hopefully sort the phone number verification issue out.

I recently changed my number and there is a possibility someone else was using it before.

It may also be verified with another account of mine.

Hi William,

~ Joanne
Upwork
judaslion
Community Member

Hello, I thought that this recent security layer by Upwork will make our lives easier but it's the opposite. When trying to get paid, it prompts you to send a verification code or OTP to your registered mobile number however, the big issue is, it's not really sending the code. You'll have to wait for nothing. It will only maxed out the remaining attempts to get the code as if waiting for the crow to become white. What's going on here?

Hi Alphy,

I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further.

~ Joanne
Upwork
311738c1
Community Member

I am extremely frustrated with the lack of customer support! I am trying to set up a new account but my phone number is stll associated with an old account that is CLOSED!!!
The chatbot just loops and is NO HELP!

I need this resolved ASAP, this is ridiculous. I would love to use your service, but if this is any indication of how things work, then I will pass.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Sue,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
3521f20a
Community Member

I too am experiencing this error message: "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

Unfortunately, the automated solutions offered by the chatbot have not been able to help me. Is there anyone at Upwork who can assist me? Or, is there anyone in the community who has a suggestion?

Hi Neal,

I'm sorry you are having trouble verifying your phone number. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
56b137e3
Community Member

I have checked all my emails and none of them are comming up as possible emails in upwork. I don't know why my phone number isn't working and I don't know how to get support from a real person.

I'm currently having the same issue. Chat box was no help.

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you as well. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Brandon,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ed508c63
Community Member

I have a few closed accounts from years past and now I can't use my phone number for my new freelancer account. Can anyone help? Thanks! 

01a7ea47
Community Member

I am trying to get my UpWork account up and running but my personal phone # is attached through another account. It is attached to an old work email that I no longer can access but I need to use my phone #, since my only phone # to set up my new account. Is someone able to help, please!?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Katelyn,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you on this page to further assist in completing the phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ba233b34
Community Member

I am having trouble applying to jobs as a freelancer because I keep receiving an error message that says "You attempted to change your PIN too many times". The phone number associated with my account is correct, and I am not sure what else to do. I have tried to contact support, but I cannot find a way to speak with anyone, and the chat feature has not been helpful.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 3.15.38 PM.png

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Gabriela,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. I'm sorry you're having difficulties getting through the phone verification. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a34ac68f
Community Member

I am getting a message that says: "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

When trying to verify my phone number. I'm unsure the account that the phone number is on and I would like the other account removed if possible.

Hi Anthony,

We have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths