🐈
» Forums » Support » Push notifications not coming through
Page options
65cdd882
Community Member

Push notifications not coming through

I have an iPhone and recently my push notifications stopped working. Can anyone help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi All,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. We are looking into this and will update this thread as soon as we have more information. 

Edited to update information. 

I would like to clarify that the issue affecting notifications on Android and IOS devices should now be resolved. If you are still experiencing issues feel free to let us know and we will assist you further. 

We appreciate your patience.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
a7c6f370
Community Member

I'm not getting push notifications on my phone of upwork app. It's making me give late response to my clients as I don't know they already replied. Anyone knows how to fix it?

Hi Eman,

If you like, you can choose not to receive desktop, mobile and email notifications by updating your notification settings. If you’re having issues receiving notifications, please check the troubleshooting tips at the bottom of this article or use the troubleshooting tool in your iOS mobile app. You can find more information here

~ Nikola
Upwork
c1238faf
Community Member

I have also suddenly stopped receiving Upwork mobile app notifications as of Saturday (16 Sep). It just cost me a job, unfortunately. It's the latest app version, I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling the app, turning my phone off and on, and have checked my notification settings. I haven't been out of signal, or on airplane or Do Not Disturb mode.

I'm on an iPhone 11, latest iOS version 16.6.1.

Having developed a mobile app in the past, I've tried all I can think of, and can confirm there is definitely something up with the notifications! I'm also receiving the email notifications about messages either hours late, or not at all.

Hi Lisa and Valued Members,

I'm sorry for the trouble and inconvenience this may have caused. However, the latest update for Apple devices (iOS 15.6.1) is causing our iOS apps to not work in some cases. While we are working on a solution, you can delete and reinstall the app(s) to correct the problem.

Alternatively, check the troubleshooting steps in this help article for your Upwork mobile app push notification issues.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c1238faf
Community Member

Thank you Arjay for confirming it was the iOS update that caused the issue. It's good to know that the team is working on the issue.

I just got a notification on my phone today that an iOS 17 upgrade is newly available... I don't plan to upgrade yet but hopefully this won't cause further issues!

Hi Lisa, 

I've been having the same problem since Saturday 16 September like you.
I'm glad to hear that it's an app problem that is happening to many on IPhone these days.
Also because support tells me the problem is with my phone 😂 which is absolutely untrue

Agreed, I'm glad it has been confirmed as an issue with the iOS, hopefully it means the team have isolated the problem so we'll have a fix soon.

817d45a8
Community Member

I am having the same issue please check. 

a7c6f370
Community Member

Hey Nikola. I have checked my notifications are on from settings still I am not getting my client messages on time.

Same here. Not getting any push notifications since a few days, it just stopped working from one day to the other 😑

Same problem here! 

370c1c3e
Community Member

I have suddenly stopped receiving Upwork mobile app notifications as of Tuesday (12 Sep). It just cost me a job, unfortunately. It's the latest app version, I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling the app, turning my phone off and on, and have checked my notification settings. I haven't been out of signal, or on airplane or Do Not Disturb mode.

I'm on an iPhone 14, latest iOS version 16.6.1.

Motilal,

Same. Upwork needs to update.

williamtcooper
Community Member

James,

Same. Upwork needs to update.

a7c6f370
Community Member

I'm facing issue on Andriod version 13

cakker78
Community Member

Same on android

759e32fa

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reporting this to us. We’ve escalated your concerns to our support team. Our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
nam13579
Community Member

Same issue on my Android, please help

624c7259
Community Member

It nearly cost me a job opportunity!😫

I haven't been receiving notifications since September 16th, 2023. I'm constantly checking for replies due to multiple ongoing projects.

Please address this issue urgently!

03829da4
Community Member

Upwork now breaking notifications so people are missing messages, is yet another thing amongst a long list of things that Upwork has broken with the buggy mess that is the new Messages they rolled out last year. They allowed people to use https://www.upwork.com/messages/?forced to access the old Messages, but earlier this month, they removed this link and after reaching out to their support, they refuse to reinstate it, forcing everyone to use the new and not improved Messages, which they somehow manage to make even worse.

If anyone's looking for how to drive clients and contractors AWAY from your platform, just follow Upwork's excellent guide:

• Instead of releasing a new version of Messages that improves upon the original, release a broken buggy mess that removes numerous key elements and makes daily workflows more time-consuming and frustrating, affecting arguably the most important part of the platform.
  • Break the online status in the sidebar, so that everyone’s online status always shows as offline except for the online status next to people’s messages within a person's chat which isn’t broken (yet).
  • Break the scroll bar, so that you cannot even click and drag it like every other website in existence. When you click it, it just scrolls instantly to the bottom of the chat in a milisecond snap.
  • Randomly send people’s messages when they press enter while in the middle of typing a message, even if they have pressed enter multiple times already in the same message, forcing them to now write replies separately in the Notes app and paste them into Upwork to send.
  • Remove the ability to middle click images to open them in new tabs. Instead of keeping this 1 second incredibly useful and universally used ability, such as to compare revisions of art in multiple tabs, require users to now waste up to 20 seconds simply trying to open images in new tabs in full res.
  • Change attachment viewing into an eye-cancerous experience, whereby clicking on an attached image displays a huge extremely pixelated low res version, which you stare at for 10 seconds, until it finally loads the high res version. Oh, and make the attachment viewer now cropped into squares, so that people cannot even see the top and bottom sections of art or whatever they're sending unless they download it to their computer.
  • Crop thumbnails of attachments into squares too when sending more than 1, to make it harder for people to understand what they are.
  • Make the text box smaller and less expandable when writing messages that expand the box, such as lists. When attaching images, make it worse than before by filling the text box with previews of all those attachments. Everyone prefers having the main part of the messaging experience changed to a tiny cramped box on their screen.
  • Make quoting more time-consuming and illogical, by making it so that when they click ‘Quote Message’, they can no longer start typing immediately. Force them to click Quote Message, then click into the box, and then type, to repeatedly add extra wasted time.
  • Break thumbnails of attachments that 1 person sends to the other in chat, so that they only show a gray and white checkerboard image, requiring the page to be refreshed once or sometimes multiple times for it to actually load properly.
  • Send people’s partially written messages when pressing enter to select an emoji after typing part of that emoji's text command.
  • Change bold formatting to essentially be non-existent, with bold letters looking almost identical to standard letters.
  • Refuse for 2 years to develop a simple dark mode for a website that blinds with an insane amount of white everywhere, and do not care about your users with accessibility requirements such as those with light sensitivity, even when it's the year 2023 and such coding is basic. At the same time, make sure your new Messages constantly breaks dark mode extensions such as Noir, when the old Messages worked flawlessly with it.
  • Change emojis to be a third or half the size they used to be, making them more difficult to see and physically requiring people to zoom or look closer.
  • Repeatedly show a huge security policy popup when attaching files, and instead of making users agree to it once or placing it elsewhere, make sure it not only covers the most important part of your screen, but also have it shrink the chat box to only a few lines.
  • Fail for 2 years to fix a smartphone app that is appalling and barely functional, even with the simple situation of having a conversation screen that actually works. Also don't include a dark mode for this either, forcing people to either be blinded by so much white again, or use their phone's accessibility options to invert the contrast of Upwork's app, while every other app on the phone respects the phone's dark mode preference. Forget about an iPad app.
  • For a finishing touch, completely break notifications so that users have no idea when they've received messages from each other, affecting their livelihood in all kinds of ways and making them repeatedly check manually.
  • Finally, give clients/contractors a particular URL to bookmark that allows them to use the old version of Messages that avoids all of the above issues, until you randomly remove it without warning. Then, force everyone to use the new Messages that, even after receiving numerous points of feedback via support and surveys for almost 2 years that clearly demonstrates how broken and illogical the new version is, is still a broken mess that gets worse every week.

If your clients and contractors are still hanging on after this, make sure you change your fees to prey on the most vulnerable and poor, while making the wealthiest wealthier. Don’t forget to lock them in for 2 years too, while constantly looking for other methods to exploit people's passions and livelihoods.

Thanks to Upwork's relentless pursuit of greed and dumb decisions to push your users off platform, I’m off to Google Chat.

NikolaS

Hi All,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. We are looking into this and will update this thread as soon as we have more information. 

Edited to update information. 

I would like to clarify that the issue affecting notifications on Android and IOS devices should now be resolved. If you are still experiencing issues feel free to let us know and we will assist you further. 

We appreciate your patience.

~ Nikola
Upwork
c0c6de28
Community Member

Throwing mine into this as well. Android. Stopped receiving push notifications randomly a couple of days ago, and the emails lag about 10-15 mins so I'm always late responding to clients.

Couldn't tell you about the iPad app though because it is an atrocity.

Upwork has really been dropping the ball lately. This is just one more in a long line of things that need to be fixed. If you guys wanted to drive people away, congrats! You done good.

williamtcooper
Community Member

I have been working with the Upwork software engineers to solve this issue, they have what they need, and now are in an investigating fix mode. Will update as I get any more information back.

freelancerking
Community Member

Hello, since a few days ago, I am no longer receiving notifications on Upwork Android mobile app on my tablet

I have tried uninstalling and installing again but the problem persists

I have tried it on my phone, same issue

I am using Samsung tablet A7 Android v12 and Samsung phone A032 Android v11

Please help. Thank you !

I talked about it with support team they said they have fixed the issue. 

Yes I think it was just fixed. Thank you!

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hi Everybody,

As of 2:50 pm CT (Houston, Texas), I just started to receive the push notifications.

Thanks Upwork software engineers and Upwork support!

William

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths