🐈
» Forums » Support » Russian citizen in another country
Page options
0631423c
Community Member

Russian citizen in another country

Hello!
I recently got my first upwork job and now I'm required to verify an ID document.
I live in Georgia, but I have a Russian passport.
I am not going to return to Russia ever.
What should I do when confirming documents, because I saw that Russian citizens are forbidden to use upwork. 

And there you need to indicate where you received your passport.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ArjayM

Hi Rodion,

Yes. If you were able to relocate, we will be ready to support you in continuing your important work on our platform. Please note that while freelancers located in Russia and Belarus will be unavailable and unreachable through the Upwork platform beginning May 1, 2022, if they relocated and provide proof of new residency, they will be able to work on the platform.

You can go ahead and submit a valid ID for verification by clicking on the "Get started" button on the upper part of your screen upon logging in. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
ArjayM

Hi Rodion,

Yes. If you were able to relocate, we will be ready to support you in continuing your important work on our platform. Please note that while freelancers located in Russia and Belarus will be unavailable and unreachable through the Upwork platform beginning May 1, 2022, if they relocated and provide proof of new residency, they will be able to work on the platform.

You can go ahead and submit a valid ID for verification by clicking on the "Get started" button on the upper part of your screen upon logging in. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
0631423c
Community Member

Thanks a lot for your help!

97d02d74
Community Member

Hi! I have absolutely the same situation. I just need some clafification on what can be couned as proof of the new residency. I can provide a cover letter from my landlord or airbnb booking information. is that enough?  

Hi Evgenia,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. You can refer to this help page to know about acceptable documents to verify your account.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
72ebce52
Community Member

Hey, I have the same situation as Rodion and Evgenia. Athough I just had my contract and I need to verify my ID, whereas my ID and the country of residence are different. Which documents can be considered as proof of new residency? I also have a cover letter from my landlord and airbnb booking information. Is that enough?  

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alex,

Please go ahead and click on Get Started in order to submit your documents. If your identity document does not match your location, our team will reach out to you directly and advise on eligible documents to verify your location as well.

~Andrea
Upwork
f40ac44f
Community Member

Hi! I have the same situation as previous guys. I'm Russian now located in Montenegro for a 2-month rental. So I don't have any proof of location from your list of documents. I thought maybe just about a tax note that I paid when had moved in. 

Hi El,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello AJ,

I want to express my gratitude for escalating my community post to a support ticket; your assistance is much appreciated. However, I find myself in need of more specific information and would greatly appreciate a more detailed response when the agent contacts me.

In the initial response, I received a list of verification documents, but none of them seem to be suitable from my perspective, or perhaps I am unaware of the correct process. Moreover, the response arrived a week later with no notification sent to my email; I stumbled upon it accidentally.

I look forward to receiving a more comprehensive and timely response to address these concerns.

Best regards, El

Hi El,

It looks like our support team has updated your ticket. We highly suggest that you continue updating the said support ticket if you have further questions regarding your concern. 

I also checked the ticket and the team reached out a day after we escalated your post to them. Please do check your Upwork notification settings as well as your spam folder as it might get filtered there. Another way to access your support tickets is by going here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie Jane B!

I appreciate your responses, but it seems my previous requests have not been fully addressed. To clarify, my account is verified in Russia, but I am currently located in Montenegro. I have a specific question that I've been trying to get answered, but it appears my queries are being misunderstood or redirected to unrelated topics.

I kindly ask for your attention to my original question, as it's important for me to resolve this matter efficiently.

Thank you for your understanding. I apologize for reaching out here, but it appears that my ticket is not receiving the attention it deserves.

Best regards, El

d9681397
Community Member

Hi, I have the same situation and I need help. My profile country doesn't match my ID because I'm from Russia but currently living in Georgia. I don't have any rent documents or salary document because I live in an apartment that is not registered to me and work unofficially. I have a tax number but for some reason it was declined by UpWork. So my questions are: what was the reason of that? What do I do if the document is not acceptable? How else can I prove my location then? I did 2 attempts of taking a photo of tax number: one without 4 corners visible and one with. Both were declined. Unfortunatelly assistance by ticket wasn't helpful.

Hi Daniil,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page. Please consider following up on the ticket so that our team can assist you further.

~ Nikola
Upwork
f40ac44f
Community Member

Guys, I'm continuing to reach out here because my ticket wasn't addressed properly, and it was closed without resolving the issue. Could someone please assist me in setting up either a different location or payment method? I feel like I'm going in circles, and the support team isn't even reading the message history; they keep sending me generic checklists of possible solutions that don't apply to my situation. Can someone genuinely look into my issue?

Hi El,

I'm sorry if your concern is taking quite some time to resolve. As much as we want to assist you with your situation in setting up your payment method, if additional information or documents need to be submitted, they cannot be disclosed here in the Community publicly for security and privacy purposes.

However, several tickets have been set up with your case. We recommend that you continue coordinating with the team through a single ticket on this page so that the team can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths