🐈
» Forums » Support » SPAM ALERT
Page options
lightofearth
Community Member

SPAM ALERT

Hi,

I am becoming frustrated with getting three consecutive invitation messages to add a telegram number to continue the job. As I know, according to Upwork policy, contact with the outside is prohibited, and I want to follow the platform policy. However, as a new freelancer, I have lost my time, hope, and connects ($) because of this type of spam. I think it is high time for the Upwork team to strictly prohibited to type a particular word like "telegram" in message before order confirmation as well as a guide to the buyer on what to do and what not to do on this platform.

Thanks for reading this thread.

Regards,
Kamrul Hasan Noor

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
krishujoshi4077
Community Member

I understand your frustration with receiving spam invitations, Kamrul. It is indeed against Upwork's Terms of Service for clients to ask freelancers to communicate outside of the Upwork platform before a contract is in place. You're doing the right thing by wanting to adhere to the platform's policies.

You may want to consider these steps:

• Report the Spam: Use the "Flag as inappropriate" link on the message or job posting to report it to Upwork. This alerts the Upwork team to the potential violation so they can review and take appropriate action.

• Educate the Client: If you feel comfortable doing so, you could politely inform the client that Upwork's policy requires all communications to stay on the platform until a contract is established.

• Customer Feedback: As you suggested, a more robust filter for certain keywords like "telegram" could help Upwork better identify potential spam or policy violations. While I don't have the means to implement such features, providing this feedback directly to Upwork could help them improve the platform. You could contribute to the Community forums or through customer support.

• Save Your Connects: Be selective about which jobs you apply for. If a job posting seems suspicious or lacks detail, it might be wise to skip it.

It's important to continue to report these incidents to Upwork whenever they occur so that they can take steps to protect freelancers like you from spam and potential scams. Your feedback is valuable, and by reporting these matters, you're actively helping to improve the platform for all users. Remember, I'm here to assist you with your projects, so if you have any project-related questions or need assistance, feel free to ask.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
krishujoshi4077
Community Member

I understand your frustration with receiving spam invitations, Kamrul. It is indeed against Upwork's Terms of Service for clients to ask freelancers to communicate outside of the Upwork platform before a contract is in place. You're doing the right thing by wanting to adhere to the platform's policies.

You may want to consider these steps:

• Report the Spam: Use the "Flag as inappropriate" link on the message or job posting to report it to Upwork. This alerts the Upwork team to the potential violation so they can review and take appropriate action.

• Educate the Client: If you feel comfortable doing so, you could politely inform the client that Upwork's policy requires all communications to stay on the platform until a contract is established.

• Customer Feedback: As you suggested, a more robust filter for certain keywords like "telegram" could help Upwork better identify potential spam or policy violations. While I don't have the means to implement such features, providing this feedback directly to Upwork could help them improve the platform. You could contribute to the Community forums or through customer support.

• Save Your Connects: Be selective about which jobs you apply for. If a job posting seems suspicious or lacks detail, it might be wise to skip it.

It's important to continue to report these incidents to Upwork whenever they occur so that they can take steps to protect freelancers like you from spam and potential scams. Your feedback is valuable, and by reporting these matters, you're actively helping to improve the platform for all users. Remember, I'm here to assist you with your projects, so if you have any project-related questions or need assistance, feel free to ask.

mikachrys
Community Member

Hello my friends! I've received a message from a women asking to have a conversation on Telegram. I acceted ( I really had no idea about this rule) and there was a man presenting the project, telling me that I have 24 hrs to finish and deliver everything to them. When I entered again the project in this platform it says that it is not found. When I asked them why, the man told me that there were many people who was employed already. That's why they delated the project. What do you think!! I feel frustrated and useless at this point 😞

mikachrys
Community Member

What can I do?

dont reply to the client and just ask that client I cant work outside the uowork for the better security of the any collaboration you can share your requiremens here on upwork chat, thank you. 

spectralua
Community Member

Upwork won't filter telegram keyword. Sorry, but as-is.

Report scammer after received telegram request, wait until job will be deleted for ToS violation, get your connects back.

Its a crazy: 99% never saw rules, connecting via TG then claiming that was scammed. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths