🐈
» Forums » Support » Scam or no?
Page options
5a24222d
Community Member

Scam or no?

I found this job posting while searching for work. I wounder if its a scam asking to call on Whatsapp. Posting the clients words below.

..........I would like to hire someone to write a short text of 150 words.

Can we have a call on whatsapp ?..........

Do Upwork permit Freelancers contacting clients through Whatsapp?

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

Yes, it is scam. No outside conversation allowed without contract. Whatsapp as well.

Oops! thank God I didn't respond.

3b4a8fd1
Community Member

Flag it and run away. 

Thanks

the-right-writer
Community Member

Before you are scammed, use the link to the Academy at the top of the page. Learn the Terms of Service. Not only will you be scammed, but you can lose your Upwork account permanently. After you learn the Terms, read this excellent advice on scams, before you even look at jobs or accept an invitation.

I can see you have put effort into your profile, but it can and should be improved. Remove the graphics/emojis/stars/checks and form the content into paragraphs. The first line is all clients see in a search, so use the first short sentence to tell the client why you are the best choice for the job, and make sure you can back up your claims with real skills. The more professional the profile, the more legitimate clients will be interested, and fewer scammers.

Data entry is a crowded field, so find something that makes you stand out in the crowd, something different or special you bring, that no one else does. The same is true for virtual assistant. Change your fee to a round dollar figure, so instead of $5.99, make it $6.00. The psychological trick of labeling something ".99" instead of the next dollar is not how freelancing works, and it doesn't look professional.

Scams are ever present, and you have to protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you. Learn and be safe.

Thanks Jeanne.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths