🐈
» Forums » Support » The Upwork Connects Problem
Page options
8b15b4a5
Community Member

The Upwork Connects Problem

Lately, I've seen jobs where freelancers are bidding as far as 65 connects for the top-spots. 

In one of the good projects that I wanted to apply, all 3 top spots were bagged using 50 connects each and the 4th spot was with 45 connects!! 

6 days ago, in a proposal, I set the bid to 28 connects to boost it to 3rd position with a hope of being at least interviewed by the client (originally 8 were required); the top spot was taken with 65 connects. 

Today, I saw that two freelancers have already been hired, yet the job is open. 

Now, I know that as per Upwork's policy, connects are not refunded when a client hires someone else (even if your proposal isn't viewed). But this is way too expensive!! 

We cannot go on bidding to every job we feel confident about using 50-60 connects! 

My question/request to Upwork is: can you please add a feature where our extra connects get refunded IF we don't get the job??? No other T&Cs like "if the client has viewed your proposal, no refund of connects", "if someone else has been hired, no refund" and so on.. None of this BS. 

Do you realise how difficult it is to even bag a job these days??

On top of that, freelancers are spending connects like crazy with a hope of getting interviewed. And only 1 or 2 will be hired!

We keep on losing connects that could have been used on other jobs in that waiting period. 

This has become so exhausting now! 

I don't know how to reach out to the people who decide on these things. 

But kindly consider what freelancers go through on a day-to-day basis. 

You guys keep advertising "use our AI for better proposals", use this, use that... but you're not even paying attention to the basic features! 

The free-tier provides with 10 connects only. Jobs that require 40-60 connects to even be seen by the client, beginners don't even stand a chance in this scenario!

I'm a top-rated freelancer and yet it has become so difficult to apply to jobs because of our tight connects wallet. 

It is so convinient for you to suggest buying your premium tier, we need to have a good income to invest $20 every month in your premium account.

I've seen people raising this concern in so many posts. 

How many more do you need to finally acknowledge this problem??

2 REPLIES 2
imranjan46
Community Member

Shefali, you're right! It's hard to get noticed on Upwork these days. They might be making it harder for freelancers without a special plan by using features that eat up your "Connects."

Imagine there are tons of jobs! Maybe 1,000 are posted each day, with 500 being good ones. If 25 freelancers apply to each good job, that's a lot of Connects used!

This is just a guess, but... Every day, maybe 12,500 freelancers apply to jobs, spending 125,000 Connects! Each Connect costs about $0.15, so that's $18,750 Upwork might earn just from proposals. It's a lot!

There are other ways Upwork might earn from Connects, too, like boosting profiles and promoting catalogs.

This is why changing the system might be tricky. Upwork might be making good money from Connects.

Thanks for adding your observations to the topic, Imran! 👏

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths