🐈
» Forums » Support » Japanese Bank Account Name
Page options
18d977ae
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched.

Added my bank as a new payment method and I have been told that the beneficiary name is incorrect. How do I fix this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Michael,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

Update 05/30: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

908 REPLIES 908
garcera-geneva
Community Member

Hi,

have a concern about setting up my banking details on Upwork.. I recently got married and the name that I am using on my profile is my married name (I used my husband's last name in setting up my profile). I haven't updated my bank yet about the recent change of status. I have here my IDs (which are not yet updated, still shows my maiden name) and our marriage contract which proves that Geneva Garcera and Geneva Getolle is the same person. Please let me know how do I proceed with verification process.

Thank you!

Hi Geneva, 

When you add a new payment method to your account, it goes through a 3-day security period. If the system rejects the payment method, it goes through a manual review which is completed within 24-48 hours. During this manual review, you may be requested to submit any documents to verify that you are the bank holder. I would recommend that you try adding this payment method and prepare your documents in the meantime. 

~ Avery
Upwork
fe1d5d1c
Community Member

Hi Avery, 

Please I have a name mismatched sign on my get paid page, please can you help?

Hi Kosy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

~ Nikola
Upwork
c08dc736
Community Member

Hello. I am new to Upwork and am struggling with a payment method issue. I live in Japan and have a Japanese bank account. However, when I made this bank account they would not let me register with my name written Given Name, Family Name. My bank account name has my last name first, then my given and middle names. 

Upwork's policy requires that my account name match my bank account name, but it feels a bit strange professionally displaying my name this way. Is there any way to get my payment method approved despite the difference in names, or should I try a different payment method?

Thank you. 

Hi Erin,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you for your attention.

I'm experiencing the same issue, could you please help me?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chiara, 

I apologize for the delay as we had to look into this further. The mismatch on your account name and payment method has already been cleared. You can now start using your payment method. 

~ Avery
Upwork
melinaneo
Community Member

Hi! I also have the same problem with my Japanese bank account. When I registered at the bank, they registered me with Japanese characters (kana). My name on Upwork is obviously in Latin characters. I cannot change from one language to another, it's quite impossible. I tried to communicate with your team, but every time I only get that "it's mismatched" and no solution as to how to fix it. Please let me know how to fix it. I cannot change my bank account name from Japanese kana to English. 

4679e1c9
Community Member

Hello!
This is Nechemya Kanelsky - CEO of AppVesto LLC.
Our manager Nikolay Yarovoi, who works as a freelancer, got an error: "The beneficiary name is mismatched."

According to feedback from the Upwork support team in Request #31114865, I would like to pass validation and solve exist issue.

Waiting for the next steps.
Thanks in advance.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nechemya,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
marwaomarothman
Community Member

Hello,
I have some issues with payment. The beneficiary name is mismatched and I am sure that my both accounts have same name.
How to fix this?
Appreciate your help

Hi Marwa,

You will need to fill out your W-8BEN form and allow up to 3 days for the verification on your new payment method to be completed. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
vyrzdev
Community Member

Hi, My withdrawals have been locked for many weeks now due to a payment name mismatch. My name is hyphenated, and hence I am quite used to getting flagged for this. 

There has been no contact from upwork support concerning this, and I can't find a single way to access support as a freelancer directly. This is my last port of call, hoping an upwork staff member might see and setup a ticket for me.

Hi Ben,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
AndreaG

Hi Michael,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

Update 05/30: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork
4605810d
Community Member

My bank use my initials as my bank account name, and Upwork saod that my beneficiary name is mismatched! Please help

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Duc Hieu, 

I checked this for you, and it looks like you're referring to the recently added payment method to your account. This is working as designed. Please allow the team 48 hours to review the account details, and if they need more information from you, they will reach out to you through an email. 

~ Avery
Upwork
07b059e2
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

After using my bank account without any problems, suddenly Upwork paused my payment method claiming my name does not match my bank account name. This is simply not true. I do not use any variation on my name, I have just my first name and surname, there should be no confusion especially after the payment method has been verified months ago. Now, the verification has been on forever without any possibility of contacting support. When I reported this in Feedback to a not very helpful Article, the request has been automatically marked as solved without any change. That is a bit disappointing, to say the least.

Thank you for looking into that,

Matous L.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Matous,

Your beneficiary name has been approved.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
bf0a1819
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

It's been more than 48 hours but mine still saying "Payment method verification in progress".
What can I do? 

Thank you!

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is accepted and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you for your help! Pradeep. 

vsevlia
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

Hope you are doing good.

It's been more than 48 hours but mine still saying "Payment method verification in progress".
What can I do?  Kindly help.

Thank you!

Hi Ankur,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via email to assist you further.

~ Nikola
Upwork
dcc72c7d
Community Member

Hey bojan 

I have the same issue with the beneficiary name , the name on my Paypal account match the name on my Upwork account, there's literally no difference , please help

Hi Mehdi,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this. A Customer Support Team member has reached out to you through this support ticket to assist you further with your concern.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi,

I need help for this.  

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

I only use same acoount name but still receiving this problem.

Hi Lenie,

Can you confirm if your name is listed as a beneficiary name on the payment method? I would like to clarify that you can only add a payment method that is issued on your name or if your name is listed as a beneficiary name. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
920b3203
Community Member

Hi, 

I have a problem with my name account which doesn't match my patent method. 

It's the same name but still doesn't accept it. 

Can you help me?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Céline Excoffier

Hi Celine,

Please allow 48 hours for your name mismatch to be reviewed.

~Andrea
Upwork
920b3203
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

I waited 48h but my name still doesn't match the account name to get paid ?

I have a milestone of 40$ which is spending.

Thanks for your help. 

Hi Celine,

Your payment method is now updated and you can withdraw your funds. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I don't understand. Why is it impossible to actually contact support anywhere on this website??

The support button (bottom right on this page) asks me to login again and again even though I'm logged in. If I go to the help center (while logged in), the support button responds with "If I can't find the answer you need, I'll get you additional help." but then everytime presents me with a "I'd like more help" button, you click it and go through the same loop again.

I added my business name as the tax and payment entity. Of course, that triggered the "The beneficiary name is mismatched. " error in Payment details.

The linked FAQ item in the notifcation at the top of my Settings page "https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063768-Bank-Account-Under-Different-Name" mentions that support will contact me. But it's been several weeks and NO ONE has contacted me, there is no way to open a support ticket outside of coming here and posting a reply.

This is a problem that so many of your users have encountered, I really don't understand why this has to be so difficult to deal with.

Hi Mark,

Please allow 48 hours for our team to review your name mismatch. They'll reach out to you directly if they need any additional information from you.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

It's now March 2. No one has contacted me or opened a support ticket. My account continues to suffer from the same problem:

The beneficiary name is mismatched. 

- Payment method verification in progress.

These are the same messages that have existed since I first posted here.

Hi Mark,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
ionut-t
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

Same issue here. It persists already for a couple of months now but I've just ignored it after I did a few updates since it seems that's an issue on your end. However, it hasn't been fixed yet it seems and I've tried again to update my bank information.

Hi Ionut,

If you're referring to a name mismatch, it doesn't look like you're having one with the payment method you currently have on your account, you should be able to use it. Please, let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths