🐈
» Forums » Support » U.S Tax information CHAOS.!!
Page options
imcaptain
Community Member

U.S Tax information CHAOS.!!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

It's strange when you deliver your citizenship papers, and prove that you are not a U.S. citizen and the Upwork team ensures that you are not a U.S. citizen, and at the end, they LOCK your profile because you didn't fill out your tax information to prove you are not a U.S.

Screenshot 2023-08-25 124850.jpg

This is insane.!! you already know that I am not a U.S. citizen and I gave you the right papers to prove that and you locked my profile for more than a month.!! Even the contracts which I was working with were stopped.

I am not a U.S. citizen, I don't live in the U.S.A and I am Egyptian and need my profile to be opened again as normal. Is this some kind of humiliating us or what ?!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Karim,

I have converted your post into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

Thank you!

~ Muhammad

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PradeepH

Hi Karim,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and noticed that you have not added the Tax identification number as seen here. Please add your Tax identification number to restore your account. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

I am an "Individual" freelancer who has no place or company to make a Tax account here.

You asked for Tax identification to ensure that I am not a U.S.A citizen while I delivered my papers which prove that I am not a U.S. citizen. It doesn't make a sense.! I am an Egyptian civilian who lives in Egypt.!

Hello Karim,  all non-U.S. individual taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork must complete the W-8BEN form to verify that they are not a U.S. Person and are performing services outside of the United States.  If this is not completed, we will assume that you are subject to US tax laws and may be deducted a US withholding tax.

You need to complete all sections under the Tax Information page.   You can check this article for more information.

~ Ruth

This is not helping at all, I've already sent my citizenship papers and I don't have a Tax account to fill my information here as I am an individual freelancer.

Hi Karim,

I have converted your post into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

Thank you!

~ Muhammad
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths