🐈
» Forums » Support » BRP Card for Upwork UK I.D
Page options
alilondon
Community Member

UK Location Verification - Unable to do

Hello, I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport.

When I tried to upload my BRP, the following text is displayed:

"It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID.Please try again with an image of your state issued U.K. driving licence or British passport."

How could I overcome this and successfully get my ID verified?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi TAI,

It looks like you're trying to apply to UK-only job posts. In order to apply for these, you must verify your location. If you encounter any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by clicking the 'Chat with Upwork' button on the Contact Support page.

If you'd prefer not to verify your location at this time, that's ok! Switch the feed you're looking at to My Feed and you can search and apply to job posts that are Worldwide.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

395 REPLIES 395

Hi Barry,

I've shared your concern about completing the location verification process with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
kkayvr
Community Member

Hello, I've just moved to the UK and currently hold a BRP card. How can I verify my location with a BRP card?

Thanks, 

Kay 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Krystal, 

It looks like you were trying to verify your location. I'll ask the help of the Customer Support Team so that they can reach out to you directly through an email support ticket to assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
engrfermi
Community Member

Hello, I've just moved to the UK and currently hold a residency permit card. How can I verify my location with this?

Thanks, 

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your message. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
webnitin
Community Member

Hi, I am also stuck in this situation, I have only BRP card that's why I am unable to verify my location as UK. Please help. Thanks

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nitin, 

A member of the Customer Support Team has reached out to you directly to assist you further with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
38b06216
Community Member

Hello, I am trying to verify my number. Tried several times from the UK. Can you please help? Thanks you

Hi Iain,

I would be happy to help. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
e00811b3
Community Member

1D82530A-F39D-4AD5-99B0-E82160AB1AB3.png

Hi!

I am from the U.K. and have a U.K. passport and a full drivers license. When applying for jobs it keeps asking me to verify my location and upload a picture of either my passport or drivers license. So I click the bottom option which says 'verify your location now' and it takes me back to the job description? And I can't find where to upload my password or drivers license anywhere? Please help as I really would like to start applying for some jobs ASAP before they expire. 

Hi Lily,

It looks like you were able to verify your location already! If you need any further assistance please let us know.

~Andrea
Upwork
charlylouisr
Community Member

Hi like all other posters I'm based in the UK and don't have a drivers license just a birth certificate and proof of address. Can some one assist please.

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have escalated your concern and one of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
athanzy
Community Member

Same problem with me. I live in UK but dont have driving license or UK passport. But i have BRP and my bank statements in UK. Can you help me verify my account?

Hi Arthava,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
graphicdesigner_
Community Member

Hello,

I set up this account when I was single and living in India. I recently started working again on Upwork but now I live in the UK and am married so all my UK documents have my married name, thus I was a bit reluctant to change country setting, but I would like to get paid in the UK bank account so I need to change EVERYTHING basically - Surname, Country, bank account. How do I proceed? I am worried that while I do this, my account will be affected.

Hello,

I set up this account when I was single and living in India. I recently started working again on Upwork but now I live in the UK and am married so all my UK documents have my married name, thus I was a bit reluctant to change country setting, but I would like to get paid in the UK bank account so I need to change EVERYTHING basically - Surname, Country, bank account. How do I proceed? I am worried that while I do this, my account will be affected.

Hi Chintan,

I have reached out to the team handling your case and a support ticket has been created. Feel free to communicate with our team through that ticket for further assistance. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
alexandra1402
Community Member

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I don't have a British passport or driving license but have been living and working in the UK for the last 5 years.

How can I verify my location without these documents?

Thank you!

Hi Alexandra,

As explained in this help article, the ID you are to upload must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, tribal documents, tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi,

I did read the help article before posting here, but, unfortunately, I don't have an ID containing my picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address. I only have proof of work contract, utility bills, council tax, etc. However, I guess these don't fit the criteria for Upwork proof of location ID, or am I wrong?

If these are useless, is there anything else I can get in this situation?

Anticipated thanks!

Thanks for the follow-up, Alexandra.

I'll have a Customer Support team member reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with the verification process. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
alexandra1402
Community Member

Thank you, Luiggi! 

I do have one more question. As an EU national, I do not have a visa and have never received a BRP. I replied to your colleague after receiving the support ticket, but I have yet to receive clarification on this. Is this something you can advise on?

I tried looking up BRP online, but it seems that if I am an EU national I do not receive one...so I am confused as to what other options I have. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Kind regards,

Alex

Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for following up. It is best to communicate with our team directly on your ticket regarding any questions you have about your verification process as they are the ones that can best assist you. You can follow up with our team on your ticket here

Thank you for understanding,

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nikola,

I have addressed my questions where you've redirected me, but I have not received a reply and the ticket is now closed and the status states as being solved. However, I still have no clarity as to how I can claim proof of my location in my particular situation. As I've explained before, as an EU national I do not have a visa and I am not entitled to a BRP and since I have no British passport or driving license, all I can offer is proof of my settled status through a code online on gov.uk...So how exactly do I sort this issues? Please advise! Thank you!

Hi Alexandra,

I'm sorry to hear you did not receive a reply from the team. I've followed up with them and they will be assisting you further through this support ticket

~ Luiggi
Upwork
cristy_kavanagh
Community Member

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I don't have a British passport or driving license but have been living and working in the UK for 2 years.

How can I verify my location without these documents?

Thank you!

Hi Mary,

Please check this help article. The ID you are to upload must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, tribal documents, tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

If you still don't have any of those listed, please let us know. Please note that u t it's still imperative to get a government-issued ID if you're looking to permanently reside in the UK.

Edit: I shared this with our team. You will be assisted through a support ticket. To access your support tickets, please go to this page.

~ AJ
Upwork
c8f772b0
Community Member

Hi, 

I need some assistance on verifying my location as I don't hold a UK passport or license, only a resident card. 

Hi Christine,

A Customer Support Team member has reached out to you through this support ticket to assist you further with your concern.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
35d2b5df
Community Member

Hi I have the same issue here, as an EU national I do not have a visa and I am not entitled to a BRP and since I have no British passport or driving license, all I can offer is proof of my settled status through a code online on gov.uk or Coucil tax letter. Could you please assist?

Hi Nick,

It looks like you already have the ability to apply to UK-only job posts. Could you please confirm if you're still experiencing this issue?

~Andrea
Upwork
9cfc0175
Community Member

Hi, I have lived in the UK for 5 years now, but I can't apply for any UK based roles as I don't have a British passport or driving license (I am Belgian).

How can I verify my location?

Thanks,
Cedric

23a587ec
Community Member

Same problem with me. I live in UK but dont have driving license or UK passport. Can you help me verify my account?

Hi Crystal,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket for this. I reached out to the team handling your case and shared your report. They will reach out to you soon to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
65b85232
Community Member

Hello, I have the same problem for "U.K. only" and I'm not British nor do I have a UK drivers licence. Please help!

Hello, I have the same problem for "U.K. only" and I'm not British nor do I have a UK drivers licence. Please help!

Hi Paul,

I have checked your account and it looks like there's no need for you to verify your account yet. Please note that you will not be able to initiate the identity verification yourself and it cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions on how to complete your verification. For the time being. you may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
b17aec3c
Community Member

Upwork web page is not accepting the photo copies of my passport to verify ID despite following the guidelines (jpeg of photo page open and flat and corners not obstructed). Now I have been blcoked from trying again after too many unsuccessful attempts and it says to contact support. I have tried to contact support but have heard nothing back and now unable to apply for jobs in my local country. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or ways to get help?

Thanks

Sophia

Hi Sophia,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths