🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Unable to add Credit Card payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,129 REPLIES 1,129
riadmk
Community Member

Hello, I am having difficulty paying the milestones for the freelancer I am working with. The system is preventing me from making any payments or completing the remaining milestones that I have set. Can you assist with resolving this issue?

riadmk
Community Member

i would like to add that I have contacted my bank and they have confirmed that there are no issues with my card and that I have sufficient credit. Can you assist with resolving this issue?

Hi Riad,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ddc955ba
Community Member

Hi, 

I have tried adding debit, credit as well as PayPal account as billing. Despite multiple attempts, it says your Financial transactions for your company have been limited. I am unable to contact support, can someone please help me? 

I am based out of india.

Hi Shreya,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked your account and don't see the limitation on your financial account anymore. Could you please try again? Let us know if the issue persists.

~ AJ
Upwork
0089c5cb
Community Member

Hello, I try to hire a freelancer for my project and this is my first time using upwork. The problem I am having is I cannot pay him because I get an error saying that "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help,  Contact Support". I tried 4 different cards, talked with the banks and approved that I am the one who does this purchase. Everything seems to be working on my side, I granted all the permission to both the banks and the cards but upwork doesn't want to deduct the money. Additionally, it deducts the money first and then 20 seconds later it refunds the money immediately. This happens with all my cards, I tried with Turkish and German cards but everything fails. Can you help me with this issue, please? I am in a rush on this project and I want to hire someone immediately

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
d5b0ddb0
Community Member

Hello! Please advise on the issue "You don't have a valid billing method on file with Upwork. Please contact the account owner to update the billing method." Can it be a problem from my side? For example, there are no sufficient funds on the credit card, or there is something else? Thank you. 

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for reaching out to us. In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you!

c2ba35df
Community Member

Hi;
I have a problem when i try to activate a milestone and pay freelancers : 
I removed the card and i tried to add it second time ... but the same problem and same messages : 
  1. Charge Failed
  2. Sorry, something went wrong on our end. Please refresh the page and try again. If this issue keeps happening, contact customer support.
  3. There was an error loading this page: error [7****f-MAD, 793*********jhf-MAD]. Contact Upwork Support for more information.

How can i fix it please, 

Hi Soufiane,

~Andrea
Upwork
8f2d5309
Community Member

HI,
Once the first attempt was unsuccessful, now every time if i want to make a payment on Upwork get an error. 
Paypal account: Recent charge failed.
Add new billing method.
If I want to add a Credit card:
Error:
Enter 2-digit expiration month.
Enter 2-digit expiration year.
Add security code.

Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

Please check my account and solve this issue. 
There is nothing wrong with my payment methods and balance. 

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
b2da0c5c
Community Member

Hello,

I just opened an account as a client. I tried adding both a debit card and a PayPal account but the payment was not accepted by Upwork. The card and PayPal are not in my name. They belong to a friend, but they allowed me to use them since I do not have them on my own. The odd part is that the payment went through in the bank but Upwork still rejected it.

How do I solve this issue?

Thank you

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
1ecc2276
Community Member

Hi, 
I am trying to hire a freelancer, my debit card is verified but I am not able to fund the amount and it's showing this error, Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. Can you please help me with what should I do? Is there any issue on Upwork's end or on my end?

Thanks

Hi Mubeen!

Basically there is problem with your card, first you have to remove it and add it again otherwise put another one.

Thanks

Yes, I did it and now the problem is resolved.

How its solve . Please help me , I do have same issues 😞 

Hi Omar,

Thanks for reaching out. Have you tried calling your local bank to see why it was being rejected? Kindly check with your bank and retry adding your payment method. If the issue persists, please let us know.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Mubeen,

Thank you for reaching out to us and I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties hiring a Freelancer. In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. Alternatively, if you have other payment methods, you can try using them instead.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, a quick way to contact our support team is by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page. You may be asked what type of account you need help with, please select the best option for your situation. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can select "Get Support" for more options, including contacting our support team.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e4b92d3b
Community Member

Hi, 

Message for Upwork rather than community....why was my primary card not deducted for a significant work payment but instead another one? The primary card is valid, within expiry date etc, but due to different currencies I now have a significant FX loss?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Damian,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
abdulateefsann19
Community Member

I tried to hire a freelancer for a simple task, and my card was charged but the job offer was not sent to the freelancer, it gave an error in the job offer page that an issue has occurred from our end but my card was still charged, I need this fixed as soon as possible, please

Hi Sanni,

I checked your account and it looks like the transaction has been declined by your card-issuing bank. There's no existing transaction on your Transaction History page as well. You may contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. You may also consider using a different Billing Method.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you may contact our support team by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page. You may be asked what type of account you need help with, please select the best option for your situation. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can select "Get Support" for more options, including contacting our support team.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ibrott
Community Member

Hey,

This is my and my client's first job on UpWork. We are having trouble completeing payment since all of their cards seem to get rejected (see image below and attached). Any idea why this must be or how to solve it?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Regards,

Hi Ignacio,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
007fa97f
Community Member

I want to add new payment method. My bank card information (adress, etc) is correct, but the system says my information does not match. What should I do? Can any upwork staff help me?

007fa97f_0-1677238170364.png

Hi Zhijun,

Thank you for reaching out. Could you please try checking the information with your bank and asking them to make sure that international transactions be allowed? If the issue persists, you may try another card. Feel free to reach out should none of these work for you. 

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

Thank you for your reply. I checked.

• My mastercard suport internation transactions, because I added it on other platform and works for payment. I used this card successfully pay for international project many times.
  • I confirm that the information of my card is correct, which can be used to add successfully on other platforms.

Question: Is the information check for payment cards in upwork not updated? Or is there problems with upwork's finances? I tried again today, but the system still asked me to check the card information, failed to add.

Looking forward your feedback. Or you can give me a private request ticket where I can uploda my info.

ZJ

Hi Zhijun,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
8ef86107
Community Member

my debit card can't be attached with my upwork account

Hi Abdal,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble adding a billing method to your account. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information and to confirm that you are authorizing Upwork to charge your card online.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, a quick way to contact our support team is by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page. Or you can contact us here by updating this thread so that our team can assist you further

~ Luiggi
Upwork
4cd1676c
Community Member

I create a milestone and when I want to fund it, it said that "Resent charge failed. We can't charge the billing method you selected. Please try different one"

what can it be? I made 3 payment and after that it happens.there is everything is okay with the card and it has money. 
Who knows? 

Hi Maryna,

~Andrea
Upwork
4cd1676c
Community Member

Thank you Andrea!

4cd1676c
Community Member

Andrea, please, how do it more quicklier? We add another card, do 1 payment and the next one was failed again😭 and the situation was the same - "recent charge failed". We need to do the work done as soon as possible, but we can't hire freelancers. Please, what could we do?!

Hi Maryna,

I’m sorry but we won’t be able to assist you here further. Your ticket is assigned to the correct team, and they should be able to help you with your concern. I would recommend adding these to the same ticket thread so that the team has the correct information to assist you more efficiently. Please don’t hesitate to update the same ticket thread if you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
4cd1676c
Community Member

Hello everyone. 

I have a big problem that concern with my company payment.I am a company manager working from Ukraine for a company located in the UAE. They can invite me as a coworker on this site. 

We were working for about two weeks on Upwork, find freelancers, create contracts, paid for them. Everything was perfect. But last friday I can do only 3 payment and the next payment failed. It said “Sorry, we couldn’t charge the billing method you selected” And also "Recent charge failed." near the card number. We added another card,  could make one payment and then everything was the same as with the first one: “sorry, we couldn’t charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one”. I was writing to support but after all they said that "We’ve been able to verify that your billing method Visa___ is valid. You should now be able to make payments." But I can't! Nothing changed! We even deleted this cards and add them again, but after the second payment situation repeted "Recent charge failed."The second card even didn't work. It isn'm my card, it is the card of the business owner and I can't ask him to delete and add these card every day. 

And the big problem, that some of our freelancer do the jod as I create the milestone. But I can't fund it! And now we can't pay them! 

May be some of you have the same problem and could solve it? Please help! We need to pay our freelancers and hire for more than 10 freelancers from last friday but we can't! Our work stopped

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths