🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Help! Can’t pay for work
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,182 REPLIES 1,182
4cd1676c
Community Member

Andrea, please, how do it more quicklier? We add another card, do 1 payment and the next one was failed again😭 and the situation was the same - "recent charge failed". We need to do the work done as soon as possible, but we can't hire freelancers. Please, what could we do?!

Hi Maryna,

I’m sorry but we won’t be able to assist you here further. Your ticket is assigned to the correct team, and they should be able to help you with your concern. I would recommend adding these to the same ticket thread so that the team has the correct information to assist you more efficiently. Please don’t hesitate to update the same ticket thread if you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
4cd1676c
Community Member

Hello everyone. 

I have a big problem that concern with my company payment.I am a company manager working from Ukraine for a company located in the UAE. They can invite me as a coworker on this site. 

We were working for about two weeks on Upwork, find freelancers, create contracts, paid for them. Everything was perfect. But last friday I can do only 3 payment and the next payment failed. It said “Sorry, we couldn’t charge the billing method you selected” And also "Recent charge failed." near the card number. We added another card,  could make one payment and then everything was the same as with the first one: “sorry, we couldn’t charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one”. I was writing to support but after all they said that "We’ve been able to verify that your billing method Visa___ is valid. You should now be able to make payments." But I can't! Nothing changed! We even deleted this cards and add them again, but after the second payment situation repeted "Recent charge failed."The second card even didn't work. It isn'm my card, it is the card of the business owner and I can't ask him to delete and add these card every day. 

And the big problem, that some of our freelancer do the jod as I create the milestone. But I can't fund it! And now we can't pay them! 

May be some of you have the same problem and could solve it? Please help! We need to pay our freelancers and hire for more than 10 freelancers from last friday but we can't! Our work stopped

Hi Maryna,

Make sure the card details and billing information entered on Upwork are accurate and up-to-date. Any discrepancies can lead to payment failures.. Sometimes, banks may block transactions due to security concerns, especially when dealing with international payments. Reach out to the card-issuing bank and ask them to check for any transaction blocks or restrictions that might have been imposed on the cards. This might help if there's an issue with your browser. Alternatively, you can try using a different browser or using the Upwork app to see if the problem persists.

Ensure that the account owner has completed the identity verification process with Upwork. This is a mandatory requirement for business accounts, and failing to complete it may result in payment issues. Check if the cards have reached their daily or monthly transaction limits. Banks often impose limits to ensure security, and exceeding these limits can lead to declined transactions.

If you've already tried these steps and the issue persists, I recommend reaching out to Upwork Support again. Provide them with all the details of your problem, along with any error messages you're receiving. They should be able to investigate further and help you resolve the issue.

Hello, Utku! We check everything you've wrote. Everything is okay with the bank and no limits to the card. Yesterday we add another card and do three payments the different browser and hire one freelancer. After that the third card blocked too. And the freelancer we try to hire can’t accept the contract as it says that my company account is on hold! I wrote to the Support but they answer me that "We’ve been able to verify that your billing method Visa___ is valid. You should now be able to make payments." I Can't understand this help from Support! My company account is On hold for some reason ( and I know this information from the freelancer! not from the support) and they said that everything is okay! And I need to pay this freelancer and I can't! money withdrew from the card but he can’t accept the offer. finally he will think that I am a cheater as he new on upwork, but I want to pay him! 

it seems like I'm banging my head against the wall and nobody can't help for more than week!

Hi Maryna,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7e102543
Community Member

Hello,

I have been having issues with my payments. I have tried PayPal and my Debit Card (Mastercard), and both work outside of this platform, but they have been getting declined on upwork. I called my bank, and they say they are seeing no activity, and that my card is not declining  (they don't even see attempted charges). My payment plan I am setting up is at a fixed price of $31,000.00, split into three intervals: $10,000.00 today, $11,000.00 in three months, and another $10,000.00 in six months. Please help me figure out what is going on! At this point, it really is getting ridiculous - there is quite clearly a bug that needs to be fixed. Customer service has provided me no help at this point, and my patience is running thin. This is very upsetting and frustrating. I'd like to get started on my project now. Mind you, also, I created the offer item for the agency I want to hire.

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
5015ac1e
Community Member

Hello, While making payment, a error came like'' recent charge failed'' .Can anyone help me.

Hi Sudhanshu,

It looks like the payment method you chose from your PayPal wallet was declined. Could you please try using an alternative payment method?

~Andrea
Upwork

How do I match beneficiary name.

Hi Sudhanshu,

Beneficiary name review is for the payment method on the freelancer account where If you are withdrawing directly to your bank account, the name on your bank account must match your verified name on Upwork. However, I can see that you have a client account and you should have a valid Billing Method.

To answer your question, If your payment method was flagged for a name mismatch, you may add a new payment method that reflects your Upwork-verified name, or reply to the email sent from Upwork to start the process of verifying that you are an authorized user on the payment method.

I suggest you follow the advice provided by Andrea above to resolve the issue with your billing method. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
16d8f9ce
Community Member

Hi, 

Im having the same issue. It says Charge Failed. I tried two different methods, Mastercard and Paypal.I have sufficient funds in my Mastercard and Paypal.

Hi, 

Im having the payment issue. It says Charge Failed. I tried two different methods, Mastercard and Paypal.I have sufficient funds in my Mastercard and Paypal. I have to urgently hire a freelancer, what should i do now?

it could be due to various reasons such as an issue with the payment method, a problem with the payment gateway, or even a temporary technical glitch.

Here are a few things you can try:

1. Make sure that the payment method you are using is supported by Upwork. You can check the list of supported payment methods on the Upwork website.

2. Check with your bank or payment provider to ensure that there are no issues with your account that might be causing the payment to fail.

3. Try using a different payment method. Upwork supports various payment methods such as credit cards, PayPal, and bank transfers, so you might want to try a different option to see if that works.

4. Contact Upwork's customer support team for assistance. They may be able to help you identify the issue and provide guidance on how to resolve it.

If none of these solutions work, you may want to consider reaching out to the freelancer you're trying to hire and explaining the situation. They may be able to suggest a different payment method or work out a different payment arrangement with you.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in getting your payment issue resolved quickly.

Hi Riya,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like the charge failed on your selected card in your Paypal wallet. Please retry the transaction using an alternative payment method from your PayPal wallet. If the issue persists, please contact your bank and Paypal support.

~ AJ
Upwork
354adc4e
Community Member

Hello!

I tried to pay using PayPal and Master card, but it's not working.

Please check this issue and let me know.

Thanks!

Hi Charles,

Thank you for reaching out to us. In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact PayPal or your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Selecting Get Support at the bottom of the Help Center page
  2. Type a question or topic and select "Send." The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support"
  4. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided

~ Arjay
Upwork
8f59c77e
Community Member

Hi,

I guess credit card is not vedified. So contract is stopped. After that New credit card is accepted. But the message below still remain. My worker can't restart contract. How should I do?

"Financiacial transactions for your company have been limited. Please check your email for additional information or contact customer support."

Hello Eishun,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8413f142
Community Member

Hi!

Yesterday I tried to make a payment for a project but it wouldn't go through, it said "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one."

I contacted your customer service and they told me to reset my card by entering the security code again, to resolve the problem, but it still did not work after following his instruction.

I've also called my credit card's customer service and they told me that the payment was not declined on their end. I've already used this card for multiple payments on your site, so I am confused why this is happening.

This is the only card I have that has been working on your site, since my Paypal has also been declined. I am also urgent to hire someone for my project. So would you please help me with this situation?

Hi Mickey,

I am sorry to hear about the issue with the billing method. I can see that you're already communicating with the support team regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork
85975be3
Community Member

Hi all,

I am new seller and i want to edit my membeship plan to freelancer plus and get more connects. I add my debut card information but it goes faild and faild again and again. 

Upwork show me: "Your bank was unable to verify your information. Please contact them and try again."

I contacted my bank support and they told me that anything are ok from our side, you can contact Upwork for the issue.

Please help me solved this issue, I will be thankful.

Thanks

Hi Afaq,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your request and reach out to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
fc1a3404
Community Member

i have the same issue it says "Charge failed" and i have sufficient amount in my account 

Hi Japheth,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
223459ad
Community Member

YOU TOOK THE MONEY I NEED TO HIRE THE FREELANCER BUT YOU TOOK THE MONEY AND DIDN'T START THE CONTRACT

Hi Dima,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist you further with your case. You may access your ticket and coordinate with the team on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0265077c
Community Member

Hi,

I am unable to pay freelancer using PayPal. It used to work, but now i get the message "Recent Charge Failed" and freelancer are unable to accept my contracts. I checked with PayPal and everything seems to be in order. Unfortunately there is no information on Upwork on how to resolve this issue. Will i be able to use PayPal again or does this mean i have to switch to another payment option entirely (e.g., credit card)?

Thanks!

Hi Raphael,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like the transaction did not complete with your selected payment method. Could you please retry the transaction using an alternative payment method from your PayPal wallet? Please let us know if the issue persists.

~ AJ
Upwork
137d776d
Community Member

Hi Luiggi, 

I have a smiliar case. I do have enough funds in my paypal but when I tried to hire a freelancer, Upwork charges my paypal and returns it in a few min. I contacted the support team but didn't get any update. I'd like to solve this soon to start the project. 

Hi Jason,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You may need to add an alternative payment method to your PayPal wallet to add your PayPal account as a payment method on Upwork, as the transaction cannot be completed from our end. Once you've added an alternative payment method, please let the team know by updating your ticket here if the issue continues.

To check which payment source failed on your PayPal account, follow these steps:

• Go to the "Payments" tab and click "Manage automatic payments."
  • Click on the billing agreement associated with "Upwork Escrow Inc."
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and check what funding source is your backup.
  • Update the backup source to a valid payment method and re-attempt the payment.
If the transaction fails again, the next step is to contact PayPal directly. Specifically, you'll want to talk to a PayPal Tier 2 agent and ask why your transaction to Upwork was declined. I hope this helps.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1e1dfdb9
Community Member

I received an email that my bank stopped payment.  I have addressed the issue with the bank and attempted to process the payment newly.  I'm not sure if it went so I'm trying to get word to you to please re-process the payment.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

~ Nikola
Upwork
1e1dfdb9
Community Member

Yes I just contacted the bank - again.  And they said it is now fixed - again.  Please re-submit payment.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response and confirmation. Since it's been confirmed by your bank, you may now try to reprocess the payment from your end and see if the payment will go through. Let us know if the issue persists and we'll look further into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1e1dfdb9
Community Member

I understand this failed again.  I'm trying to get this corrected with the bank and they said the issue had to be addressed at a higher level of tech support.  Apparently this is now corrected.  Please try again.  

1e1dfdb9
Community Member

The simple solution is to get you another card but I need to fix whatever the problem is with this card so please bear with me.  Twice the bank has asked if the payment could be re-submitted while they watch the transaction.  If it comes to the point where I need to get someone of the phone with my bank, how can this be done?

In the meantime, they said the are watching for the transaction again and asked for it to be re-submitted. Please resubmit.

Thanks

Steve

78b54e3d
Community Member

Hey there, 

I have been trying to pay a freelancer for the work he has done, but the following message popped up when I tried to pay (never seen it before): Your financial account "..........." has been suspended due to issues with payment methods on file. Please update payment methods to restore full functionality to your account.

I never had problems with my Paypal account , nor any problems paying the amount (enough balance on card). 

Kindly help me solve this issue. I only have Paypal option available to add (as I don't own any creditcard).

Thank you in advance.

Hi Frederik,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties with your billing method. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths