🐈
» Forums » Support » Upwork Criminal: Known Theft + Upwork Doesn't...
Page options
9682aff6
Community Member

Upwork Criminal: Known Theft + Upwork Doesn't Help

I'm in the middle of a "dispute" on Upwork where there is clear theft. 

The criminal is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. He clearly found there was an open contract with me on Upwork from the original work I asked in 2019 and decided to start logging random hours that I did NOT ask him to do and did NOT approve. I asked him to pause all work on Wednesday, January 29, 2020 . It's been 1,290 days since I've spoken to him or asked anything work related. The last request within Upwork  was Wednesday, July 31, 2019, which you can see if attached screenshots.

I was first made aware of the theft on July 31, 2023 because I received an email from Upwork with subject "Matt, here is your weekly billing report." I looked and there was 49:10 hours logged charging me $1,475.  Within the email is says "Note: You have until Friday, Aug 4 4:00 pm PST to dispute any hourly charges." - So clearly this is theft as I NEVER asked for new work from anyone on Upwork, but given I have a window to dispute, I thought no problem. I'll show this is fraudulent and get a refund. 

I click dispute for all hours, which the freelancer/criminal denies. I thought at first maybe they logged hours in the wrong account, but clearly after denying the dispute they knew what they were doing here and tryting to steal from me and my company. I say they as **Edited for Community Guidelines** is also involved in this with **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Here is the thread of the dispute:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

--------

I will update this thread with any new responses but I just don't know where to go from here. Clearly Upwork is OK with supporting criminals and has shown ZERO remorse, or plan of action against this criminal on their platform. I'm at a loss for words, but plan to do anything and everything to (1) get a refund, but (2) make people aware of this criminal and their company that steals from people.

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

Did you paused contract already? I think you will be billed for next week as well. Do it asap if didn't.

Hi Mykola, thank you so much. YES! I paused the contract immediately once I got that first email email, however they had already logged hours for that Monday as well, so I got charged again. 

This was the first week they charged me without me knowing:

This is the 2nd week they charged me when I found out from the Upwork email and paused it:

I'm still out a lot of money and looking for help.

Thank you,

Matt

9682aff6
Community Member

I see Upwork edited out the freelancer... once again protecting a criminal

I'll be sure to share all information publicly on our other channels and distribute. 

Yes, this really sucks that we cannot see the real truth and who is causing the problem. I also had a problem with a contractor who stole money from me and was not supported by the process of Upwork.  I think there needs to be more transparency of these issues.

They did the same with my report of this morning. I wanted to expose the name and emails of two SCAMS to prevent people from being taken advantage of and suddenly Upwork edited/hid their names. Bad!

LuiggiR

Hi Matt,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with the freelancer. I'm afraid we had to edit the email exchanges and personal details out of your post since posting this information in the public forum is against our Community Guidelines

I understand you want this situation to be resolved as soon as possible, and since you're already in communication with the Mediation team, you can rest assured that they will continue to assist you through the entire process.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths