🐈
» Forums » Support » Wrong country on profile - trying to register...
Page options
43acf544
Community Member

Wrong country on profile - trying to registering

Hi there,

I'm from the US, living in Mexico for 6 months. I am trying to register and receive this error message

In compliance with Tax Law in Mexico, Upwork withholds a 1% Income Tax from your payments. The tax withheld is increased to 20% if you haven’t already provided your RFC (Registro Federal de Contribuyentes). Upwork must also add a 16% VAT on Upwork fees. Please click here to add your RFC information ASAP. For more details, read our FAQs for Income Tax and VAT.

I have a US mail/tax address but a Mexican phone number. How do I register and get approved??
Does that make sense? Let me know if you need more information from me in oder to answer the question.
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Melanie,

I've requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
43acf544
Community Member

Thanks, awaiting help.

My location is listed as Mexico but I'm US based in Dallas, Texas.  I have repeatedly tried to change a wrong Mexico address to my address in Dallas but receive this error message: In order to change your address to the United States, you must first provide your W-9 tax information.

The information on the W-9 is my Dallas address!

This is quite annoying. I wouldn't even care but now there are proposals which I can't apply to and some income tax Mexico collects BUT I LIVE IN THE US!

43acf544
Community Member

No answer yet, please help!

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for your message. I see that our support team has already reached you via a support ticket to assist you on the same concern. You can view and respond to the team via the notification sent to your registered email address to reopen this ticket. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths