🐈
» Forums » Support » will a period of travel cause problems?
Page options
d61b91b4
Community Member

will a period of travel cause problems?

Hi!

I am based in an EU country and have only used UpWork from here up till now. Later this year, I need to travel for a period of 4-6 weeks in Asia.

If I access UpWork during that period will it cause me any problems because of the different locations? 

Many thanks,

Jon

2 REPLIES 2
PradeepH

Hi Jonathan,

You can keep your account location as it is if you are only traveling for a short time. We will contact you if we notice any issues. But if you are planning to stay in a different country for a long time, such as relocating, you should change your account location accordingly. Please make sure you have the right visa or work permit for the country you are in and pay taxes as required. You may want to talk to a legal advisor about this.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Many thanks for your reply, Pradeep. 

I've now had chance to search the forum and I see that people have often asked a similar question and have received a similar response. This clearly makes it difficult to carry on working while travelling. I can see that it is important to know where people are for tax compliance reasons, but without giving some clear indication of what counts as temporary and what as permanent travel, it's impossible to plan with clients. For example, if I'm going to be away for 5 weeks beginning in April, how can I take on any medium-term contracts in March? 

I realise you may not have an answer, but perhaps you can communicate the problem to whatever team decides these things, I guess it affects many people. 

Thanks again

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths