🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » What are you reading?
Page options
utkarshsengar
Community Member

What are you reading?

Hi, engineering community 👋.

This is my first post here,  I'm Director of Engineering at Upwork and co-lead this community with Ali! Very excited to be here with like minded folks to discuss product and engineering.

To get things started, what is the community reading now?

I can go first:

1. :white_heavy_check_mark: Just completed: "Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon by Colin Bryar" which gives a unique insight into the Amazon culture was built in the early days and the key principles. The core of it is how to be customer centric.

2. :next_track_button: Planning to reread "Creative Selection by Ken kocienda". It's one of my all time favorite books about product development, focus on agility and keeping a high bar. Ken shared his experience building the keyboard for iOS, safari etc. A must read for an engineer!

What are you reading or planning to read?

-Utkarsh 

11 REPLIES 11
5dcb343a
Community Member

Hey Utkarsh!

I'm currently reading Out of Office, which is pretty thought-provoking on work culture in the modern day. Especially the remote work culture that most of us in the tech field are finding the norm now.

I'm very interested in your suggeston of "Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon by Colin Bryar"! Seems like that should be my next read! 😁

Cheers,

Ali Ali
come2don
Community Member

Hey Utkarsh.

Reading something to improve my daily habits while I'm working from home. It's called "Atomic Habit" by James Clear it's an interesting book for engineers who wants to make good habits.

There is a pattern for "How to Create a Good Habit"

The 1st law (Cue): Make it obvious.

The 2nd law (Craving): Make it attractive.

The 3rd law (Response): Make it easy.

The 4th law (Reward): Make it satisfying.

Hope will make new habits in this year.

Cheers.

- Sakib

spxpert
Community Member

this is amazing book,  if you follow the principle it will change your life

4f347417
Community Member

Hey @Utkarsh. I am currently reading Born A Crime by Trevor Noah. It is a collection of his childhood stories in the country he was born in, South Africa.

I am looking to actively get back into a rhythm of reading actual physical books.

spxpert
Community Member

Just started reading "Meditations by Marcus Aurelius"

spxpert_0-1669047071069.png

williamtcooper
Community Member

The Economist Magazine to have a continual understanding of the business world around me.

356c88a1
Community Member

Hello gys, I am reading : 

- the Bourne betrayal by Eric Van Lustbader

- Power BI desktop l'intégrale

- Excel VBA 2013

Practical Finite Element Analysis for Mechanical Engineers by Dominique Madier (for fellow fea enthusiasts)

ccbee5c0
Community Member

Working for Yourself

ios 14 Programming Fundamentals with Swift

Programming ios 13

ca2db232
Community Member

Hi! I'm Sebastian from Argentina. I've started at Upwork few weeks ago and I would like to recibe a feedback from you or any one with little more experience than me here seeing my profile.

Now I'm finishing "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frank. The book tells the story of his experience as a Holocaust survivor and the lessons he learned about the human search for meaning, the book also introduces his concept of logotherapy, it's a powerful examination of human condition and resilience of the human spirit.

2a2d137d
Community Member

This one is having me completely engrossed:

"The Surrender Experement" from Michael A. Singer.

It's so good!

655be748
Community Member

Hello Utkarsh:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Nice to read it out.