Set up PayPal as your withdrawal method
- Go to Settings and select Get Paid
- Select Add Method
- Choose your preferred method and select Set Up
- You'll be redirected to sign in to your PayPal account for verification
- Choose a payment schedule and select Next
Here's what you need to know
- Most transfers between Upwork and PayPal happen instantly, but occasionally it can take up to 24 hours. - If a transfer takes longer than 24 hours, contact PayPal for assistance.
- Upwork charges a small per-transfer fee, and PayPal may have additional fees depending on your location and currency.
- The name on your PayPal account must match your verified name on Upwork. If there's a name mismatch, contact support or add a new payment method.
- For security reasons, your new payment method will become active three days after confirming the account.
To remove PayPal as a withdrawal method
- Log into your Upwork account and select Settings
- Select Get Paid
- Select Withdrawal Methods
- Select the three dots (...) near your PayPal account
- Select Remove
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to link my PayPal account to Upwork?
If you don’t want to link your PayPal account to Upwork, you do not have to. You can use any payment method available to freelancers in your country. Visit our withdrawal methods section to learn about alternative options.
I reconnected my PayPal account, but it's saying I have to wait 3 days to use it. Why?
We have a standard hold period any time a payment method is added to an account. This hold stays in place for three calendar days to ensure your account security.
To add PayPal to my Upwork account I see I have to agree to terms as part of choosing “Connect your PayPal account to Upwork.” What am I agreeing to?
When you agree to connect your PayPal account to Upwork, you allow PayPal to share your full name, email, address, account verification status, and PayPal ID with us. This information helps us confirm that you own the PayPal account; we need to verify that to help keep you and your accounts safe.
I tried to add or re-add PayPal to my Upwork account and got redirected to PayPal. Is this legitimate?
Yes, it’s a measure to help safeguard your accounts. When you add or re-add PayPal to your Upwork account, you will be directed to PayPal.com. There, you’ll be prompted to log into your PayPal account and confirm that you want to Connect your PayPal account to Upwork.