Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
171 of 220

@Nichola L wrote:

It's so strange - I can remember a lot of unwelcome proposed changes in Elance just before it went under merged with oDesk.

In the eighteen months or so before the acquisition, Elance implemented a number of changes. Over time, these seemed to go from last-ditch efforts to compete with oDesk, especially for corporate clients, to rendering themselves an attractive enough holder of market share to be swallowed.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
172 of 220

More seriously...

I find it hard to believe that what clients want is fewer proposals per se. Surely what they want is to decrease the proportion of useless proposals, not decrease the total number of proposals. And more help to separate the promising proposals from the useless ones. The Guillotine does nothing to achieve those aims.

I broadly agree with those who've suggested decreasing the availability of connects in some way. Such a change hurts newbies more than established Upworkers, but I think that any scheme for increasing the proportion of promising proposals is likely to have that effect.

The ideal, of course, would be to have an algorithm that successfully identifies which freelancers/proposals are most likely to suit clients, and lists those first (or only). But I guess Upwork has given up hope of finding such an intelligent algorithm, so it's trying simplistic algorithms instead. As simplistic algorithms go, I think the connects system is probably as good as it gets, though it could  benefit from some tweaks.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
173 of 220

Plus 1M to Richard's comments:

"I find it hard to believe that what clients want is fewer proposals per se. Surely what they want is to decrease the proportion of useless proposals, not decrease the total number of proposals. And more help to separate the promising proposals from the useless ones. The Guillotine does nothing to achieve those aims."

Exactly.  I've heard this time and time again from clients. And not always in such polite terms.

Igor R Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
174 of 220

I miss 2015 Upwork so much. This is just bad.

Maya Y Member Since: Jan 12, 2018
175 of 220

When this test will end?

How many more days?

It was a test for a limited time only right?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
176 of 220

Hi Maya,

Correct, the test is running for a limited amount of time. Unfortunately, we won't be able to share the exact dates.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
177 of 220

Valeria,

I sure hope yall are prepared for the exodus that is resulting from this **Edited for Community Guidelines** "experiment".  Clients are not going to put up with this mess forever.

Upwork is KILLING freelancers businesses. You can view my stats for the past 10 years and you will see that the past 6 months reflect numbers I saw 10 years ago when just starting out = very little work.

Invites are way down. Jobs listed are clients with next to no budget. 

Those of us trying to stay busy do NOT have the time to hang out on the job feed to try and "catch"  a job before it goes "POOF" 

This dig your heals in and never admit your wrong **Edited for Community Guidelines** that this platform engages in is destroying it. There are 18 pages letting you all know what we think of this. Yet, nothing changes!

If ya'll are determined to burn it to the ground, you are doing an excellent job at it.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
178 of 220

I do wish the mods would expunge the word "unfortunately" from their posts. 

"Unfortunately, we cannot share this with you at this time". "Unfortunately, we cannot share details of our decision at this time". "Unfortunately, we won't be able to share the exact dates." etc. 

It might be unfortunate for the freelancer but it is surely not a question of luck for the policy makers? 

If something can't be shared, it can't be shared, but it can't be sugarcoated either with words like "unfortunately", "sadly", "regrettably" etc. 

The minute I see a sentence headed "Unfortunately", I interpret it as, "This is going to hurt you more than it's going to hurt me"! 

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
179 of 220

Definitely. These changes are really causing issues. The amount of jobs in my section have been reduced a lot! I think it is near half of the usual jobs that were present, and most of them are entry and intermediate level, some expert but not as many. Please reconsider these changes and others you have been making like the US only stuff. 

Igor P Member Since: Feb 9, 2016
180 of 220

Hello there!

Well... bad news...

Now I see very little appropriate jobs in compare to 2016 or even 2017.

And it seems it's going to be worse.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS